Foreigners with fake 1,000 baht notes flooding Pattaya - Thai traders take to social media to issue warnings

webfact

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, wavemanwww said:

That was originally an Australian invention and has been used here for many years. We export the technology.

Excellent do they use this sort of tech on other highly counterfeited gov doc's such as passports .? The Brit Lady Godiva (£5:00 note) is supposed to be water and tear proof and stand up to wear pretty good but they do not like being folded .. The tenner note has been released this week .. 

Funny how when they get a serve of what they have been doing to foreigners for years, i.e. copies of DVD's, Tablet's, iPhone's etc etc, which in fact is fraud, then they cry fowl.

In short purchased a laptop, I asked does it come with Windows 10 and Outlook 2016, yes....I take care, you come back in one hour, me thinking he was going to do me a deal for Windows 10 and Outlook 2016, when I returned, he said they have been uploaded onto the laptop, no charge for you, all include in price, thanks chump I said, only to find out 6 months later that he got it downloaded from the net, a key for 6 months, then  was shut out, suffice to say, I was pissed, so I went into the store and he said, no pompem, 100 baht I can do again for you, no no no mate, I want originals, no have, so I walked out. When I got home I decided to ring the place that I get my toner from for my printer, yes have, do you have them in stock, yes have, 7,000 baht, so I took the 20 minuted drive to collect them.

When I arrived at the store, he said you pay now and come back tomorrow afternoon, I said, but you said you have them in stock, yes, we order on line for you, I just walked out bemused, then a kind Xpat at a bar I frequent said he had a spare copy, couple of beer later and the following day, I was back up and running, cost, a couple of beers, great business people these Thai's NOT, bith shops have lost this farangs future business, which makes me happy, because the kids will need computers soon, etc etc 555

Reminds me of something that happened to me a few years ago.  A Thai guy showed up at my house one day and offered to sell me a fairly new $100 USD bill that had allegedly been donated at the nearby wat.  This was in the small town in Isaan I was living in.  The seller said nobody at the wat knew what to do with it so they brought it to me, the closest farang.  The $100 bill was the latest version.  In fact, I wasn't familiar with it since it had been a few years since I had been back in the USA.  It looked authentic so I checked online and, miraculously, all the anti-counterfeit watermarks, raised areas, etc. were there and matched perfectly.  After a little haggling he accepted 1500 baht for it.  At the time that was about $40 USD so seemed liked a great deal.  The only nagging feeling was it didn't feel quite right compared to my other older version bills, i.e.,, it felt a little too smooth.  I also wondered why the seller hadn't gone directly to one of the banks in town to sell it as he would have gotten the official rate.

Guess what... I still have it.  I haven't been back to the US since I bought it so it's still stashed away.  I can't imagine it's counterfeit since it passed all the visual cues... but still not sure.   Oh well, one day I'll find out.   

5 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

Thais think they can pick and choose,  what law and when it applies to

them.

Amazing Thailand.

They do, and they can....with exceptions.

Edited by Grusa
Fingers faster than brain.

My wife and I were on Koh Phi Phi during the Tsunami. We returned a year later, and were paddling in Tonsai Bay. I spotted a banknote lying on the bottom, it was a ฿500 note. Only thing, it did not match any ฿500 note I have seen before, or since. It was not a Xerox copy, the paper was banknote quality, but for sure it was not negotiable currency. 

I never understood why it was there.

Edited by Grusa
Same as last!

4 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

Thai bank notes are not on the cutting edge of security features that are available now to counter the counterfeiters of paper money .. Technology available to crim's now makes copying bank notes easier all round which is why a lot of Euro countries have numerous security features designed and incorporated into them .. As in Britland where the two smaller notes are made out of a kind of plastic .. 

Kindly note polymer notes were pioneered by those Australian colonials....we sell the technology to other countries.

36 minutes ago, Grusa said:

My wife and I were on Koh Phi Phi during the Tsunami. We returned a year later, and were paddling in Tonsai Bay. I spotted a banknote lying on the bottom, it was a ฿500 note. Only thing, it did not match any ฿500 note I have seen before, or since. It was not a Xerox copy, the paper was banknote quality, but for sure it was not negotiable currency. 

I never understood why it was there.

It could have been the, one on the bottom right

They have been known to catch the smartest of people out

at times, even on Tv. :giggle:

yu-gi-oh-fake-bill-thai-baht-money-set-25-ea-collectibles-toys-papers-play-kids-d541f54fbaa759d6b9c381517b9af7cc.jpg

18 minutes ago, Blue Muton said:

Well you had to give back something apart from Fosters and Kylie's arse!

I like a well-shaped bum myself, and I have to say the Thai women have some of the best around. Attached to pretty good legs as well. Certainly not counterfeit.

15 minutes ago, stanleycoin said:

It could have been the, one on the bottom right

They have been known to catch the smartest of people out

at times, even on Tv. :giggle:

yu-gi-oh-fake-bill-thai-baht-money-set-25-ea-collectibles-toys-papers-play-kids-d541f54fbaa759d6b9c381517b9af7cc.jpg

No, it was way less artificial looking than that. i think it was a laser photocopy, but on high quality paper that did not turn to mush in the sea.

Now we are here again! A lot of posters here try to talk around it again. Trying to blame the thais for this. 
Appearently this is done by foreigners. Just concentrate on the problem and the criminal act. They should be punished, jailed and after banned from ever returning to Thailand.

7 hours ago, 12DrinkMore said:

Not totally true.

It is all backed by the promises of debtors to pay back the debts, and in a lot of cases secured on property and companies.

Example.

You borrow 300,000 to buy a house. That 300,000 is essentially newly issued currency which you have spent into the economy. However, it is backed by the value of the house, which can be reposessed, and your promise to pay the debt through future earnings. 

It does give rise to the interesting observation that if all the debts were paid off, there would be no currency left in circulation except the legal tender cash issue by the governments.

Naughty boy. You omitted to mention the "backing" that's in place for the quadrillion dollar derivatives bubble waiting to burst. We're it , I guess.

5 minutes ago, chezy86 said:

Sorry never saw your post I've posted more or less same

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

And if you go to post 16 from 8 hours ago you will notice I already said that, you really should start at the beginning and work through it. 

2 hours ago, Get Real said:

Now we are here again! A lot of posters here try to talk around it again. Trying to blame the thais for this. 
Appearently this is done by foreigners

Yes some posters here are waiting for any reason to blame the  Thais , they are miserable people indeed. 

This looks to be an Arab gang and I really hope they catch and deport them . Hard working Thais trying to make a living are being cheated on , 1000 baht is several days income for some vendors. 

9 hours ago, Basil B said:

Foreigners should be aware...

1. the foreign gangs may find it easier to pass those dud notes onto other foreigners

2. Thai traders stuck with a dud note is more likely to pass them off to other foriegners

3. any foreigner who unwittingly receive one and then tries to spend it is likely to be in for a very expensive shakedown.   

but if the fake notes are 1,000 baht how can be possibly passed to a tourist ? I don't think you can be given fake notes by ATM or money changers.