Mental disorders, poor diets and tobacco make the world sick

webfact

By Kate Kelland

LONDON (Reuters) - Heart disease and tobacco ranked with conflict and violence among the world's biggest killers in 2016, while poor diets and mental disorders caused people the greatest ill health, a large international study has found.

The Global Burden of Disease (GBD) study, published on Friday in The Lancet medical journal, found that while life expectancy is increasing, so too are the years people live in poor health. The proportion of life spent being ill is higher in poor countries than in wealthy ones.

"Death is a powerful motivator, both for individuals and for countries, to address diseases that have been killing us at high rates. But we've been much less motivated to address issues leading to illnesses," said Christopher Murray, director of the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME) at the University of Washington, which led the study.

He said a "triad of troubles" – obesity, conflict, and mental illness - is emerging as a "stubborn and persistent barrier to active and vigorous lifestyles".

The IHME-led study, involving more than 2,500 researchers in around 130 countries, found that in 2016, poor diet was associated with nearly one in five deaths worldwide. Tobacco smoking killed 7.1 million people.

Diets low in whole grains, fruit, nuts and seeds, fish oils and high in salt were the most common risk factors, contributing to cases of obesity, high blood pressure, high blood sugar and high cholesterol.

The study found that deaths from firearms, conflict and terrorism have increased globally, and that non-communicable, or chronic, diseases such as cardiovascular disease and diabetes caused 72 percent of all deaths worldwide.

Heart disease was the leading cause of premature death in most regions and killed 9.48 million people globally in 2016.

Mental illness was found to have a heavy toll on individuals and societies, with 1.1 billion people living with psychological or psychiatric disorders and substance abuse problems in 2016.

Major depressive disorders ranked in the top 10 causes of ill health in all but four countries worldwide.

The GBD is funded by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation global health charity and gives data estimates on some 330 diseases, causes of death and injuries in 195 countries and territories.

(Editing by Matthew Mpoke Bigg)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-09-15

And given that the politically powerful medical establishments make probably trillions off of people's health problems it ain't gonna change and you could argue all this will just get worse.

That said with research and motivation you can do much to improve your health. There are some good websites good books about how to eat healthier, surf around the net follow your nose. Many people seem to think you have to start getting very severe with yourself. I have found I can start feeling better just by adding foods that are very healthy to what I already eat. Of course there is no limit to how far you can push with a health program, but if it stresses you out and you go back to just eating whatever you like whenever you like, what is the point?

For me, fasting a little bit bit 2-3 times a week does not put me out and it helps enormously to keep my weight down. My fasting isn't cutting food out altogether either but just having a plate of vegetables and a plate of fruit for dinner and if I get hungry later the rule is to eat only more fruit. If I do the fasting, then I can eat what I like the other days, though I am not really a big junk food eater anyway, never drink soft drinks don't drink beer all the time, don't like too much in the way of sweets but I eat too much bread and dairy and not enough fruit and vegetables.

Another barrier I've noticed people have is: "oof! That stuff is sooo expensive!' The answer to that is simple: medical treatment and meds are probably more expensive, so shelling out for olive oil helps you not only save in the long run but helps you preserve your health which no amount of money can buy back in many cases.

Edited by Shaunduhpostman

Diets low in whole grains, fruit, nuts and seeds, fish oils and high in salt were the most common risk factors, contributing to cases of obesity, high blood pressure, high blood sugar and high cholesterol.

Why cant they say the truth, rather than being PC and not offending people.  It used to work before when everyone knew what to eat because they were told by parents/peers.

Diets of fatty foods (particularly fast take-away foods) and sugary carbonated drinks particularly coke pepsi red bull etc.) is making people fat.  This is the reason for the ever growing number of people who are obese which causes people to die younger and get cancer earlier than otherwise, have high blood pressure that damages their hearts and arteries and veins, high blood sugar causing diabetes which causes multiple diseases and organ damage, and high cholesterol which is linked to cancers other problems leading to early death. People should reduce eating food that is high in fats and sugar, and not drink carbonated sugar water and things like sugared fruit juices.

Stop telling people what they should do, and start telling what they should not do and why.

More people now die because of poor diets that cigarettes in the western world. They both take years to do the damage, and we need to tell everyone both not to smoke and not to eat bad. We need to continue to tell people smoking is bad and they stink, but we also need to tell them bad food is no good and that they look bad if they are fat. One of the biggest differences between Thailand and the west, is the huge number of fat ugly people in the west. For those that didnt know I am temporarily back in the west most of the year now, and it is a long time between when I see a good looking slim woman, and all the huuuuge fat arrsssed ones - and it is now 'offensive' to judge them as a person just because they have a bigger arrssse than jesse the elephant.

Such a  short  list! 

Why  not  announce  the  truth?

The  truth  being  that  processed  foods  full of   E ?  numbers ,  environmental   toxicants, quality  sleep  time deprivation due  to excessive  time  on  social  media or  extended  unpaid  work  time, and the  acclumlative  stresses dupicitly induced   by  political  and   media   hype  are more  the   major  culprits. 

The  finger  pointing  at  tobacco is  a  distractive   policy in the  main. As a  component  of  airobic  pollution  it  is   a minor  factor in  comparison to  the  other   unspecified  toxins that  remain  ignored.

Background   radiation  levels,   electromagnetic   levels, dioxin  levels, heavy   metal   levels in  foodstuffs,  etc  which  are  quietly   ignored  are as  much if  not more significnt  as  any that  are   convieniently   mentioned .

And  the  gross consumption of  pharmacuticals  in  compensation is   just   another   road  to  same  outcome. 

4 hours ago, ELVIS123456 said:

Why cant they say the truth, rather than being PC and not offending people.  It used to work before when everyone knew what to eat because they were told by parents/peers.

Diets of fatty foods (particularly fast take-away foods) and sugary carbonated drinks particularly coke pepsi red bull etc.) is making people fat.  This is the reason for the ever growing number of people who are obese which causes people to die younger and get cancer earlier than otherwise, have high blood pressure that damages their hearts and arteries and veins, high blood sugar causing diabetes which causes multiple diseases and organ damage, and high cholesterol which is linked to cancers other problems leading to early death. People should reduce eating food that is high in fats and sugar, and not drink carbonated sugar water and things like sugared fruit juices.

Stop telling people what they should do, and start telling what they should not do and why.

More people now die because of poor diets that cigarettes in the western world. They both take years to do the damage, and we need to tell everyone both not to smoke and not to eat bad. We need to continue to tell people smoking is bad and they stink, but we also need to tell them bad food is no good and that they look bad if they are fat. One of the biggest differences between Thailand and the west, is the huge number of fat ugly people in the west. For those that didnt know I am temporarily back in the west most of the year now, and it is a long time between when I see a good looking slim woman, and all the huuuuge fat arrsssed ones - and it is now 'offensive' to judge them as a person just because they have a bigger arrssse than jesse the elephant.

Thanks for the honesty Elvis, couldn't have put it better myself

12 hours ago, Emster23 said:

Works for me!

"Works for me" should not be confused with "Yeap, that's me".

Mental Disorders

Politically driven educational dumbing-down, nanny states, erosion of family values, and elimination of self-reliance and responsibility for self do nothing to improve this.   Expect more.

Poor Diets

The world is already an overcrowded place and becoming moreso on an exponential basis.  If you think diets are bad now, wait until you see the famine & starvation in 10 or 20 years.  I'm glad I won't be around to see what it's like in 50.

Tobacco

Simply no argument possible.  It DOES make the world sick, and its ability to reduce its users to complete denial about the obvious damage to their health and the health of those around them is staggering.  Indians in the New World used tobacco for medicinal purposes, and some have suggested, mixed with other things, as an hallucinogenic, but did not use it on an everyday/habit basis.  We can thank Europe for introducing that practice.  It's truly a global scourge but unfortunately also a money-maker.  I'm a huge non-believer in big government and confiscation thru taxation, but when it comes to the scourge of tobacco, they can tax and regulate the crap out of it as far as I'm concerned.  Sadly, I know that would only drive it underground, like drugs, and cause even more misery.   Kids need to be brought up knowing better.

Not Listed

Bad parenting.

We all have a choice if we decide to exercise our brains and do some research. Preservatives, coloring, GMO, sugar, aspartame, pesticides, hormones...much of the food we see is not just crap but killing us as well. Add the latest flavor of compulsory vaccines to Big Pharmas winning opioid addiction and the profits just keep rolling in.

Big Agriculture, Big Pharma and the War Machine are all about profits over people, greed being the common denominator. Still if the majority want to consume garbage that is also their right, although not doing so in ignorance would be more egalitarian. Likewise with the war lovers, producers and observers, always keen for a new conflict, as long as they won't be anywhere near danger.

4 hours ago, hawker9000 said:

"Works for me" should not be confused with "Yeap, that's me".

Mental Disorders

Politically driven educational dumbing-down, nanny states, erosion of family values, and elimination of self-reliance and responsibility for self do nothing to improve this.   Expect more.

Poor Diets

The world is already an overcrowded place and becoming moreso on an exponential basis.  If you think diets are bad now, wait until you see the famine & starvation in 10 or 20 years.  I'm glad I won't be around to see what it's like in 50.

Tobacco

Simply no argument possible.  It DOES make the world sick, and its ability to reduce its users to complete denial about the obvious damage to their health and the health of those around them is staggering.  Indians in the New World used tobacco for medicinal purposes, and some have suggested, mixed with other things, as an hallucinogenic, but did not use it on an everyday/habit basis.  We can thank Europe for introducing that practice.  It's truly a global scourge but unfortunately also a money-maker.  I'm a huge non-believer in big government and confiscation thru taxation, but when it comes to the scourge of tobacco, they can tax and regulate the crap out of it as far as I'm concerned.  Sadly, I know that would only drive it underground, like drugs, and cause even more misery.   Kids need to be brought up knowing better.

Not Listed

Bad parenting.

So, on the one hand, nanny states are responsible for increased rates of mental illness. But on the other hand, the far superior obesity and general public health outcomes of those nanny states is due to what exactly? 

2 hours ago, Rancid said:

We all have a choice if we decide to exercise our brains and do some research. Preservatives, coloring, GMO, sugar, aspartame, pesticides, hormones...much of the food we see is not just crap but killing us as well. Add the latest flavor of compulsory vaccines to Big Pharmas winning opioid addiction and the profits just keep rolling in.

What happened; you forgot to include vaccines.  This is just ignorant fear mongering, and the "do some research" line is good for little more than a belly laugh.

59bca68ba4700_doyourownresearch.jpg.1818dd77e8ad7b3107d846580a8b533a.jpg