Drinking Very Cold Water.

NoshowJones

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, tonray said:

Ok...you win....in spite of no research or scientific evidence anywhere...you have convinced me...cold water is bad and will cause diarrhea. Thanks for clearing that up !

I only said it does for me . I had a good check up in my country 6 months ago and there's nothing wrong with me.

My missus is the same, Always telling never to drink cold water as it will make me sick. My reply to her is why doesn't drinking cold beer make me sick? She goes off muttering 'no understand".

Does anyone know the basis of the superstition?

Edited by tryasimight

After getting tired of hearing this - even from doctors in Thailand I confirmed it with my sister, who is chief of surgery at a 5 hospital chain in the US. Cold water could irritate an already sore throat, but only briefly. It WILL NOT cause a sore throat.

43 minutes ago, BuaBS said:

Lucky for you.

Now I don't have a fridge , so no temptation to drink it , even when it is too hot like 11 months a year here.

I could never survive here in Thailand without a fridge, now there's something for another topic.

20 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I have just recovered from a sore throat when I lost my voice completely. I have never had a really sore throat since I came to Thailand, My wife says I should not drink very cold water.

I do regular exercise, so I drink a lot of cold water. Is there any truth in what she says? Thanks.

we have been conditioned to believe that consuming pure fat makes you fat….and consuming cold things gives you a cold.

its nonsense…..ice cream may give you cold-like symptoms but thats because milk produces a lot of mucus in the body.

4 minutes ago, tryasimight said:

My missus is the same, Always telling never to drink cold water as it will make me sick. My reply to her is why doesn't drinking cold beer make me sick? She goes off muttering 'no understand".

Does anyone know the basis of the superstition?

Was it not mentioned somewhere near the beginning of this thread?

My female Doctor in Australia who I think was pretty smart always advised that when you had a sore throat or cough to drink warm water rather than chilled

She explained why it exacerbated the problem but cannot remember why seemed to work

Other times cold water ok

13 minutes ago, tryasimight said:

Nope.....can only see reference to a superstition but not explanation as to what the superstition is based on.

No big deal....just curious.

They believe cold drinks will upset your 'chi' or life force by throwing your yin and yang out if balance. 

I never drink cold water because I follow basic principles from traditional Chinese medicine,  which you can look into yourself if you are intelligent enough to realise that most of the repliers on here are so narrow minded that they are incapable of seeing or accepting, or even exploring anything that exists beyond conventional scientific thinking.  I'm a professional chemist,  but my outlook is broader than conventional science - if you ask questions like this on here,  you'll most likely get the typical narrow minded knee-jerk reaction replies that discount everything Asian as hokey or superstition....

Edited by jetsetjones

Not all traditional, "unscientific" treatments are old wives' tales. There is plenty of empirical evidence that avoiding cold drinks (and, particularly, ice) aids the healing process if you have a sore throat or cold.

Having only hot or warm beverages when we have a ben wat or jep kaw  works for me and my family. Try it - you might be pleasantly surprised. 

5 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

I have never heard that cold water makes you ill ,the wife drinks it really cold ,i just happen to like it room temp , mind you Thailand is the only place  where doctors tell you eating chicken gives you gout , not even the internet says it .

Have a read of this, Bert:

Chicken, like all other types of poultry, meat, fish and shellfish, is a source of purines. Purines are broken down into uric acid in your body. If you eat too many purine-rich foods, excess uric acid can build up in your joints causing an increase in the frequency and severity of your goutsymptoms.Jun 17, 2015

Chicken for Gout Sufferers | LIVESTRONG.COM

www.livestrong.com/article/443122-chicken-for-gout-sufferers/

23 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I have just recovered from a sore throat when I lost my voice completely. I have never had a really sore throat since I came to Thailand, My wife says I should not drink very cold water.

I do regular exercise, so I drink a lot of cold water. Is there any truth in what she says? Thanks.

She is right... also don't drink cool or warm water... hot waters ok with coffee

otherwise, vodka is the go. ????

1 hour ago, Krataiboy said:

Not all traditional, "unscientific" treatments are old wives' tales. There is plenty of empirical evidence that avoiding cold drinks (and, particularly, ice) aids the healing process if you have a sore throat or cold.

Having only hot or warm beverages when we have a ben wat or jep kaw  works for me and my family. Try it - you might be pleasantly surprised. 

And a hot tody is an old wives favorite... further evidence that warm fluids benefit healing.... but not that cold fluids cause damage