Massive raid as "coloreds" targeted in Nana this morning

rooster59

Massive raid as "coloreds" targeted in Nana this morning

nana.PNG

Image: Daily News

A massive raid in the Nana area of Sukhumvit this morning led by the head of special branch netted illegal Africans and a drugs suspect.

The raid by 200 cops of the 191 force, tourist and Lumpini area police and soldiers swopped after midnight. It followed crackdowns in other areas of the city earlier in the day when search warrants were served on "dark skinned people".

Daily News said in their headline that the raid in Nana targeted "people of color".

It was led by Surachet Hakpan chief of 191.

A total of 60 people were urine tested for drugs but none came up positive.

However, thirteen people were arrested for not having permission to be in Thailand after they were unable to come up with passports.

These came from the following countries: Five from Uganda, two from Tanzania, three from Nigeria and one each from Senegal, Somalia and the Ivory Coast.

Six were men and seven women.

In addition a Nigerian man called Okechukwu Obi, 35, was arrested with 0.62 grams of "ice" (crystal meth) and was charged with possession of a Class 1 drug with intent to sell.

All the above were detained and sent for processing at Lumpini police station.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-09-16

Wondering what my dad is doing writing the headlines ?

But in all seriousness the African men are very well known for dealing gear in that area (not sure if they're known for anything else tbh).

But having a guy getting lifted for dealing by possessing little over half a gram of ya ice is outrageous..

And another thing i read last week was about trying to reduce numbers of those incarcerated.. Yet when the cops are trying to arrest people for pissing positive for drugs it is either a shakedown tactic or at odds with the wider attempts to lighten the prisoner numbers.

Pissing positive should NOT be an issue unless a person is driving, operating machinery, or has committed serious violent crimes immediately before the tests 

200 cops and they get one guy with less than a gram of ice and a dozen or so who didn't have a passport immediately available, while they all passed the piss test. I wonder what the arrest rate would have been had they targeted that many cops on the locals?

Bit surprised only a couple of posts about the real crime committed here.

Forget the drugs, forget the no passports, forget the shouldn't be in the country.

Get outraged at the use of the word colored. I know I am, but that's more to do with the fact it should be coloured.

Throw them out of the country if they shouldn't be here.

Na to easy, they will all be back in place tomorrow.

To be fair, most of those guys are her up to no good or involved

in one shady deal or another or looking to get into one,

tourist the're not and they don't spend money to help the economy,

on the contrary, the're looking to make and take money out, 

so weeding those guys out every now and than is a good thing

and that's goes for other groups of high questionable groups of

people loafing off in Thailand.....

3 hours ago, z42 said:

But in all seriousness the African men are very well known for dealing gear in that area (not sure if they're known for anything else tbh).

But having a guy getting lifted for dealing by possessing little over half a gram of ya ice is outrageous..

And another thing i read last week was about trying to reduce numbers of those incarcerated.. Yet when the cops are trying to arrest people for pissing positive for drugs it is either a shakedown tactic or at odds with the wider attempts to lighten the prisoner numbers.

Pissing positive should NOT be an issue unless a person is driving, operating machinery, or has committed serious violent crimes immediately before the tests 

Maybe others think differently......

3 hours ago, z42 said:

DRUGS are an ILLEGAL substance.

Does not matter the amount.

FYI.

1 hour ago, GaryAdriaenssens said:

13 had no passport!!!! then how did they get in!? can't be by boat, the Mediterranean Sea is too far for that!!! :crazy:

The weak swimmers came via Cape Good Hope, Zanzibar, Maldives, Shrilanka with the last leg to Phuket. The real good swimmers took the scenic route accross the Atlantic, through the Pannama canal, Japan, Hong Kong with their last leg to Pats. 

60 arrested.

None tested positive for drugs.

Good haul, BiB.

One guy had some meth on him (guess he hadn't managed to sell it to the farangs that are the African's number 1 customers)

It's obvious racial profiling but provided they also piss test farangs in the street, I have no objection

6 hours ago, berybert said:

Forget the drugs, forget the no passports, forget the shouldn't be in the country.

Get outraged at the use of the word colored. I know I am, but that's more to do with the fact it should be coloured.

I find this PC crap about how you can describe someone over the top.  You can't say black, use the N word or coloured, without some whitey getting upset about it.

So if some one has a skin colour other than white, then how in the hell is one supposed to describe them?  Please enlighten me and if I may ask, why does the word, coloured, outrage you?

The word Caucasian is used to describe those of white skin, maybe us whiteys should get upset about being classified through the use of this word.  This world is totally screwed with all this PC crap.:wai:

42 minutes ago, Si Thea01 said:

I find this PC crap about how you can describe someone over the top.  You can't say black, use the N word or coloured, without some whitey getting upset about it.

So if some one has a skin colour other than white, then how in the hell is one supposed to describe them?  Please enlighten me and if I may ask, why does the word, coloured, outrage you?

The word Caucasian is used to describe those of white skin, maybe us whiteys should get upset about being classified through the use of this word.  This world is totally screwed with all this PC crap.:wai:

Yes and why are the Crackers complaining anyway, if anyone was to complain you think it would be them coloured folks.

9 hours ago, berybert said:

Seriously.  Do you think that Thais use the word kon 'colored'?  Yes, they do have a word for individuals from Africa, Middle East, and India.  It isn't 'colored.'  You and others offended by the word are thinking in the English language.  The Thai word is keark which is about as derogatory as the word farang.  Well, that's if you consider the word farang to be derogatory.  
It's pretty humorous: attempting to apply Western political correctness to a translation of a Southeast Asian Thai term that doesn't translate well into English.  :thumbsup:

If you are really disturbed, then write to the editor of the paper and suggest alternative translations for the Thai word kon keark.  Some English speaking Thai reporter used a word that he (or she) felt was an adequate translation.  No doubt the reporter does not understand the cultural ramifications that the translation has among certain sensitive segments of the English and American readership.  Give the author of the article a break.  And I offered good, actionable advice for those who are incensed over the choice of words.  Send a respectful letter to the editor.

Edited by connda

50 minutes ago, connda said:

Seriously.  Do you think that Thais use the word kon 'colored'?  Yes, they do have a word for individuals from Africa, Middle East, and India.  It isn't 'colored.'  You and others offended by the word are thinking in the English language.  The Thai word is keark which is about as derogatory as the word farang.  Well, that's if you consider the word farang to be derogatory.  
It's pretty humorous: attempting to apply Western political correctness to a translation of a Southeast Asian Thai term that doesn't translate well into English.  :thumbsup:

If you are really disturbed, then write to the editor of the paper and suggest alternative translations for the Thai word kon keark.  Some English speaking Thai reporter used a word that he (or she) felt was an adequate translation.  No doubt the reporter does not understand the cultural ramifications that the translation has among certain sensitive segments of the English and American readership.  Give the author of the article a break.  And I offered good, actionable advice for those who are incensed over the choice of words.  Send a respectful letter to the editor.

Lol.  Just read the Thai version.  Interesting.

In the Crime section the Headline reads (rough translation) Mobilized to wipe out coloreds foreigners.  The keywords are piw see daang chart which is literally colored skin foreigner.  
Now I'm going to claim cultural and linguistic ignorance myself and chime out.  Seems that translation may be, err, accurately translated.  Opps! 
TIT.  :smile:

Edited by connda

5 hours ago, Si Thea01 said:

If you read my post you will find the word coloured doesn't outrage me at all.

The use of the American spelling colored on the other hand does.

I guess my post flew somewhat over your head.

2 hours ago, connda said:

Oh dear that's two of you.

Coloured is an English spelling. Colored is American.

Should I have posted one of those silly smiley faces so some of you might have understood ?

"The Thai word is keark which is about as derogatory as the word farang.  Well, that's if you consider the word farang to be derogatory. "

Kaek originally means "guest". The words "Kaek "and "farang" are both used in a derogatory way .

Edited by hanuman2543