Sharp tax hike on alcohol and tobacco effective immediately

rooster59

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, LennyW said:

New list from 7/11, note the prices for Leo etc, Single big bottle 56, two pack 110 and three pack 164.59be06e02ad7a_7pricelist.thumb.jpg.cb08165c62850f4d03c2fd7b2e623b55.jpgbottle 

I showed that list to my wife. She explained to me it says that 7/11 suppliers have not updated their price yet, and this is a temporary price list together with a limit on items you can purchase. For example, you can only purchase up to 2x 620ml LEO beers @ 56 Baht each.

More unbelievably inane policy, from a government who's sheer incompetence boggles the imagination. Raise the taxes on wine, even more. They already have the highest wine taxes on the planet. 

What do incompetent politicians do, when they have a massive shortfall in revenue, and they have utterly drained the coffers, on really, really bad policy decisions? They raise taxes. It is the least creative thing any politician can do. It is also usually the least intelligent decision. Who expects any more from the little guy, and his band of nincompoops? 

There are countless things the government could be doing, if they wanted to attract the high quality tourists. The very first thing would be to repeal the anti fareng wine bill, that was passed by a few very corrupt senators way back when, to protect an anemic, fabulously low quality local wine industry. They are losing billions of dollars a year in revenue, that would be had from a 100% wine duty, instead of 460%. The five star hotels would have major wine events, and the entire industry would flourish here. But again, the lack of vision, combined with a naive, surly, silly, churlish, and ignorant sense of nationalism, bites the country in the butt. And again, who is the loser? The Thai people. 

Wine taxes should be lowered significantly. Import duties should be lowered to 70-100%. It would boost revenue. There are many Thais that are doing well, and love good wine. But, they are discouraged from drinking it, as the quality to price ration does not make any sense, for those of us who love good wine. If creative policy was implemented, not as many would cheat on the invoicing, and the wine industry would be encouraged to expand and thrive. As a result, the government would collect additional billions. But, that would require some vision, and progressive thinking. Something this administration does not possess. 

It is a real shame, as I find most Thai people to be quite lovely, friendly, warm, helpful and fun to be around. I am sure many feel the same way. But, unfortunately they are cursed with a government that is incompetent, myopic, non-visionary, indifferent, and reckless beyond imagination.

Little P. and the TAT. Leading Thailand backwards at an astonishing and alarming pace.

17 hours ago, anto said:

I just bought a bottle of premium beer .a large bottle of Federbrau for B63 at Tesco /Lotus express .I am expecting the price to be B61 by Monday .The Nation newspaper explained the increase per bottle .Premium beer is going down B2 a bottle according to them .

Only if it is imported.
Like all Ambev beers that are imported have far higher taxes applied to them including import tax. Those will lower by a few baht. But you will hardly notice it as the import tax is already 100 Baht a bottle. At 63 Baht your Federbrau has no import tax applied so I assume locally bottled. No less tax for you my dear friend.

4 hours ago, xylophone said:

Will protect and increase their market share as will be cheaper esp when compared to imported wine (non fruit juice added).

See my post on another thread............

The details are as following: The tax per bottle of wine priced above Bt1,000 will be Bt110 upwards, depending on the price. The tax on locally made wine will decrease by Bt25 per bottle

Ah yes.........have to ensure that the extremely wealthy and influential/well connected owner of a certain winery here can benefit from increased sales. After all got to keep his son on the run and buy him a new Ferrari.

And that is still not clear. Indeed, what is price  per bottle then.  In this part of the world it would be the price without any tax, the wine is sold.  Meaning 1000      and  then the 125 added. SO 1125 for the customer would be logical in this scheme.

BUT, it seems that that 125 is not added on the price without tax, but on a price with already around 100 % tax on it.......Most wines I see, are almost double, then in other countries.  So it are not 125 tax on sales price, but 125 bht on sales price, with previous taxes, that is completely different. 

36 minutes ago, Mister T said:

We just had our delivery of our normal bar order. Boxes of everyday big beers have gone up by 10 to 15 baht per box and sangsom had gone up ten baht.

Only that amount for 24x beer pack and 12x Sangsom pack, that's not even +1 baht per large botlle of beer or Sangsom ? Add also +1 baht for L&M cigarettes... false alert one more time ?

19 hours ago, Get Real said:

Just bought 2 beer chang for 236 Bath. Just great! Now I suspect that we get a smaller amount of stupid tourist that just goes for cheap beer and girls in this country. Heureka!

where the hell do you buy beer... more money than brains for sure?

last night I bought 2 bottles of chang 110 baht (not bath) yes 55 baht each!

local min-mart price

Not long ago, while visiting a restaurant on Samui, called Dr. Frogs, I noticed a little sign on the table. We are proud to offer our new house wine. Yellow Tail cabernet. Only 1,499 baht, per bottle. I had just returned from the US, and the markets were absolutely flooded with this swill, at $3.99 a bottle. That is about 135 baht! So, yes I agree with you. Why drink absolute junk, for inflated prices? 

Yellow Tail is the best selling imported wine in the United States. Yellow Tail accounted for 11 percent of all U.S. imports in 2005. This one wine brand represents about 8 percent of all Australian wine production and 15 percent of that country’s total wine exports. Yellow Tail sells more wine in the U.S. than all French producers combined. And that say alot about the average American wine palate.  

Again, the government misses the mark, and does not have the vision, nor the courage to undo an injustice, perpetrated by very corrupt senators, who sabotaged the Thai economy, in a feeble effort to protect a few unbelievably inferior local wine producers. Instead, goes what their solution is? Raise taxes even more, to compound the import taxes already in place. Who came up with this policy? How was it approved? Who are these people? Why are they allowed to continue their reign of economic destruction?

Also, this is in direct contravention to the ASEAN charter that Thailand signed, and is a party to, that allows the distribution, importation, and export of all alcoholic beverages between all ASEAN members, duty free. When is the last time you saw a bottle of Saigon beer, 33 beer (both Vietnamese beers), Hitachino Nest white ale, India pale ale (both from Cambodia), or Bintang beer (Indonesian) on the supermarket shelves? Beer Laos, if you are lucky enough. I can understand why the giant Thai beer companies would do everything in their power to squash the implementation of this law. Their product is way, way inferior, to that of their neighbors. But, the government has a responsibility to follow through with laws they are a party to. Even if that means saying no to massive hand outs.

1 hour ago, JHolmesJr said:

so if someone doesn't buy an exorbitant LD and tequilas for all these useless hos playing on there phones, that means they still want to feel them up?

how do you make such  free spirited leaps of thought?

You dont have to buy the college girls drinks just pay thier fee.

8 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

I have a new business idea.....Importing some Two Buck Chuck wine and then reselling it between 1,000 and 2,000 baht a bottle...

By the time you set up the business, obtain the appropriate licences and pay the 390% import taxes that $2 bottle of wine is gunna be costing you $20 !!

2 hours ago, bannork said:

The licence fee to sell booze is around 2,000 baht a year at present. To increase that to 50,000 baht a year is insanity and a death knell for those hundreds of thousands of small to very small local stores all over Thailand.  

Yeah if it stands is a whopper. Back peddling does happen a lot here. On this matter you would hope so if in fact that posted info is true.

Two of my local bar/restaurants have been told by their wholesellers that the tax of 2.66 is the same for small and large bottles.  With the subsequent increase in VAT, they've put 5 baht a bottle on all beers.  The restaurants in question have passed on that increase of 5 baht.  One restaurant had marked their old stock for sale at the old price.  So a large chang at my local has gone from 75 baht to 80 baht.  I doubt that some bars will be happy with passing on the 5 baht and add more - profiteering!

1 hour ago, JHolmesJr said:

so if someone doesn't buy an exorbitant LD and tequilas for all these useless hos playing on there phones, that means they still want to feel them up?

how do you make such  free spirited leaps of thought?

The reference is to the guys that try to feel them up and too cheap to buy a drink..........

Some guys do go way overboard and spend a lot...... Great if they can enjoy that.....but not many like that.... But there is a 'middle Road'

And many guys don't want company and drink in bars without 'girlies' or cafes with drink.......

My reference is to guys who go to 'girly bars' where 'lady drinks' are common and have a record of '0' (zero lady drinks)......... Hope that clears up any question

22 minutes ago, Techno Viking said:

I doubt the website guys at BigC worked the weekend just to update the new alcohol prices.

They know the new prices for weeks.

They only needed to press a button friday night at midnight, all the articles's prices would have been updated in less than 1 second (shops + online).

Same for 7-eleven, familly marts etc... all the cashing machine are linked to internet.

9 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

The licence fee to sell booze is around 2,000 baht a year at present. To increase that to 50,000 baht a year is insanity and a death knell for those hundreds of thousands of small to very small local stores all over Thailand.  

Where does this info come from, or is it more 'fake news' from the same sources as the huge increases being bandied about before Friday?

9 hours ago, Muggi1968 said:

My friends in the north tell me not to worry since this will just make the Thais smuggle more illegal (No tax paid) from Lao.

But I am not sure I bother just for saving 5 or 10 Baht/Bottle. 

YES ! I really wish that they sell good and cheap imported wine on FB as they sell imported drugs !

On 9/16/2017 at 10:46 AM, maeab101 said:

This is good news for Thailand.

You are a funny man. Robbing the public for bad management of government spending is not good news. You should ask the people for there verdict lol. 

Good news is a election 

1 hour ago, HHTel said:

Where does this info come from, or is it more 'fake news' from the same sources as the huge increases being bandied about before Friday?

Some of the this info came from a translated article from news Sanook which was printed on Thai Visa on Friday-

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1002318-its-a-wait-and-see-game-smokers-and-drinkers-will-discover-tax-fate-on-saturday/?page=1

The news about the increase for retailers came from  a Bangkok Post opinion article last Friday.