Question about residency, financially free people who moved to Thailand

2 hours ago, gmeddy said:

But now he's a Citizen, he even needs to apply for permission to leave the country, so he says...

That sounds more like permanent residency. But is not permission to leave the country it is a re-entry permit to keep his permanent residency valid.

7 hours ago, acenase said:

what I want to know is how do people claim they can spontaneously just up and move to Thailand on a tourist visa because if someone wants to move to Thailand the best planning would have to be apply for a METV which gives 9 months.... that said, you still need to GO BACK to your home country to re-apply for another 9 month. So how is that considered "moving" if you have to go back?  $15,000 for a Visa is quite steep honesty, its a given as why 99% of people would rather just save the money and travel/apply for new Visa, but thats the inconvenience to save $15,000 i guess.

i just think when people say they "moved to Thailand sponataneously" are lying because you can't really move here unless like mentioned, you either have work/school or 50+ years old or married for long term stay. The only other category is long term tourist, which eventually you NEED to go back to your home country right? Whether it is to apply for another METV to get an additional 9 months or just keep doing Visa runs and applying for a SETV to "live" in Thailand but how boring can that get when you're doing it every 3 months... for 2-3 years? 

With that comes the costs like re-entering the country on a SETV you need to pay an additional 1,000 Baht, you need to pay an additional 1,900 Baht to extend the 60-90 days. This is the hidden struggles that no one mentions who don't fall in that category who claims they moved to Thailand. They never mention the Visa runs, Visa extensions, Leaving after 90 days and spending 2 days at Thai consular just to get a fresh Visa to come back with. Is that really living or just a long term Tourist? 

A spontaneous decision is then acted on and followed up by a variety of strategies and outcomes leading to more decisions. and different  outcomes. I spontaneously decided to work in Thailand  in 1990 to change the course of my life in the UK. After a year I decided I wanted to move to Thailand permanently but required better wages so I left Thailand to work and save money in the MENA region then came back here to retire but over the years visited Thailand for 3 times a year.  Now I live in Pattaya but travel around the rest of Thailand expensively. I visit Europe for two months every summer. I hope this helps the OP who seems a tad obsessed with other people and their decision making processes even though he does not know them.

3 hours ago, acenase said:

First you say if "People choose to live here on TV" then you contradict yourself and say "These people don't claim to live here" Uh, yes they do. I see it all the time. I do it too. I claim to live here, but really, DO I??? 

And I never said it was a problem for people to be here on TV's, if you didn't have selective reading and knew that that's exactly what I'm doing too. Where did I ever say that it's a problem? I'm trying to find out what OPTIONS there are that maybe I don't know about yet for people in my category who claim to moved to Thailand. Do us all a favor and get off the forums for a bit and stop replying when you clearly have nothing educational to say.

Well 'living' in a place can be defined as 'domain' or 'residence' or other criteria including a person's world view of themselves and their place in the world and where they feel at home. Not really your business. You have to adapt a strategy that meets your needs and makes you happy and not fret about other people.

• Like 1

Acenase, If you don't already know, up until very recently it wasn't so difficult to live here permanently even if you weren't over 50, married or working.  

One year visas were easily obtained at consulates abroad, ED visas were less restrictive, double entry tourist visas were available at many nearby consulates and you could even get a triple entry in Bali.  If you lived near the border with a neigbouring country you could could go in and out indefinitely every 15, 30 or 90 days depending on your nationality.  I know many guys who aren't retired, married or working that have been here for years, who up until recently didn't have visa issues, but gradually things have changed.  

You need to understand that if someone has been here for 10 or 15 years not easy to pick up and leave when the immigration policy becomes more restrictive.  That said Cambodia and Vietnam are awash with former expats who used to live in Thailand. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, gmeddy said:

But now he's a Citizen, he even needs to apply for permission to leave the country, so he says...

That does not seem right. Are you sure he did not get permanent residence rather than citizenship? With permanent residence, you need a reentry permit (different from the normal one) whenever you go abroad, but citizenship absolves you of the need to do that.

17 hours ago, giddyup said:

You don't really seem to understand the system. I came here 8 years ago applied for an OA visa (retirement) and have been here ever since, never returned home.

Yep! Same, same for me too giddyup. I came here 13-years ago yesterday and have never returned "home" either. :smile:

17 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Boring, just get married, then you can stay, but marry one that let's you eat your cake too, and when you turn 50, if its not working, change from Marriage to Retirement, as for me, I will just keep eating my cake.

With great respect to you 4MyEgo but writing as a gay man living here and ever thankful to the people of Thailand for welcoming me here for the past 13-years, isn't what you've written somewhat condescending and misogynistic krub?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, acenase said:

What are you smoking? You do infact NEED to go back to your home country to apply for a new METV after it expires. Moving somewhere means you can permanently stay there, not just being there for 9 months before going back to your home country. 

I'm talking out the people who claim to live in Thailand who are Under 50, Not working/going to school and Single. There's no Visa to serve its purpose for that except Tourist visa.

Get a clue.

Work permit... just because you have a work permit DOES NOT mean you have to work hard... 15 mins a day was good for me!

Thailand Elite.

Two simple solutions to your issue. Your rigid outlook limits your creative options. My wife and I upped and moved here 11 yrs ago (ages 41 and 42) and have never gone home for immigration reasons, deaths and births and weddings only.

Edited by mikebike

29 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Sure, then why not just go to an agency and pay much much less with no hassles??

Nobody is denying that agents can help those over the age of 50 who cannot be bothered to navigate immigration themselves. Most agencies cannot offer a no hassle solution to those under age 50 for "much less" than 100,000 baht a year (the maximum using Thailand Elite). Generally, the education visa scams have become more pricey than you think when involving agency fees on top of dubious language schools.

• Like 1