Yingluck sentenced to five years in jail

webfact

Thai former PM Yingluck gets five-year jail term for negligence

tag-reuters.jpg

FILE PHOTO: Ousted former Thai Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra arrives at the criminal court in Bangkok, Thailand, September 29, 2015. REUTERS/Chaiwat Subprasom/File Picture

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand's ousted former prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra was handed a five-year prison sentence on Wednesday after the country's highest court found her guilty of negligence in the management of a rice subsidy scheme.

Yingluck was due to hear the verdict on Aug. 25, but failed to show up, surprising hundreds of supporters who had gathered at the court.

Aides said she had fled Thailand, fearing a harsh sentence. Last month, Reuters reported that she had escaped to Dubai, where her brother, former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, owns a home.

Yingluck, who swept to power in a 2011 general election, introduced a rice subsidy scheme that proved wildly popular with farmers but which the military government says caused billions of dollars in losses.

Her government was ousted by the military in 2014.

(Reporting by Aukkarapon Niyomyat; Writing by Amy Sawitta Lefevre; Editing by Clarence Fernandez)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-09-27

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Then why does the court allow her and other to defend her?

Because it would not be just if she wasn't allowed to defend herself maybe ? does not change the fact that the prosecution needs to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.

12 minutes ago, scorecard said:

thaksin, yingluck both sentenced by courts not sentenced by the military.

Maybe you should take the trouble to read the various reports of the charges and the many days of rebuttal she gave in court (in fact she attended court something like 6 times but offered nothing to prove that she was not guilty, plus her cronise also attended court and also gave nothing to prove her innocence). 

But but but, she is our heroine and she is innocent because she told us so. 

A Prime Minister is replaced in a coup, and the coup makers put her on trial for "Negligence" and sentence her to five years in jail.

What a crock of ****.

Thailand has become an international laughing stock just so some coup supporters can point to a dodgy "verdict" as justification for their actions.

Pathetic.

Supreme Court sentences Yingluck 5 years in prison

By Chalarntorn Yothasmutra

Yingluck@SuprmCourt_170723_0075.jpg

Fugitive ex-premier Yingluck Shinawatra was today sentenced in absentia to five years in prison with no suspension of jail term by the Supreme Court’s Criminal Division for Holders of Political Positions after finding her guilty of dereliction of duty in the controversial rice-pledging scheme that caused over 500 billion baht damages to the state.

The 9-member panel of judges read the verdict at about 3 pm after convening the meeting at 11.00am.

Supporters of the ex-premier didn’t react as they heard of the verdict.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/yingluck-5-years-in-prison/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-09-27

28 minutes ago, scorecard said:

thaksin, yingluck both sentenced by courts not sentenced by the military.

Maybe you should take the trouble to read the various reports of the charges and the many days of rebuttal she gave in court (in fact she attended court something like 6 times but offered nothing to prove that she was not guilty, plus her cronise also attended court and also gave nothing to prove her innocence). 

It would be easier to believe in fairies at the bottom of the garden than to believe that the so-called justice system here is independent fair and balanced.

The fiasco involving the circumstances in the recent case of Jonathan Head from the BBC was a perfect example of that.

Just now, scorecard said:

How's that?

If you think the vast majority of Thais do not see through this sham then you are deluded. Whether this translates into action I have no idea but Thais will never forget what an unelected Junta IS and what it is FOR.

17 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

If you think the vast majority of Thais do not see through this sham then you are deluded. Whether this translates into action I have no idea but Thais will never forget what an unelected Junta IS and what it is FOR.

I'll have to admit that I'm one of the deluded people you refer to.

I wish it wasn't so, but I think he will consolidate his power and make it impossible for change.  He's taking good "care" of his political rivals and a dictatorship is around the corner. This peace seems appealing to the general populace, compared to what came before, so they're complacently going along with it.

1 hour ago, darksidedog said:

Two years more than her brother got! I somehow doubt either of them will ever serve a single day of it though, regardless of how much bullshit we are going to hear about asking Interpol to bring them back.

Unlikely to while they are not in the country. I agree; Interpol will not do anything.

Just now, owl sees all said:

Unlikely to while they are not in the country. I agree; Interpol will not do anything.

Interpol will issue the appropriate notice to member countries if and when they are formally requested following the correct procedure.

Given the amount of time taken to do Red Bull boy's request, that should be about 2023 ish.

4 minutes ago, tropo said:

I'll have to admit that I'm one of the deluded people you refer to.

I wish it wasn't so, but I think he will consolidate his power and make it impossible for change.  He's taking good "care" of his political rivals and a dictatorship is around the corner. This peace seems appealing to the general populace, compared to what came before, so they're complacently going along with it.

You might be right but the educated Thais understand it and the un-educated feel it so, maybe, something will come at some stage to change it. But you might be right too. It's a wait and see game.