Advice sought on UK passport renewal for those living in Thailand

13 minutes ago, Oxx said:

My god, you really are an obnoxious piece of work, aren't you.

If my application had been processed in the 4 hour period I paid a premium for, there would have been no beer involved.

And there was nothing inaccurate about my submission, so stop fantasising.

OK, OK Mr B. Bloodvessel, please relax.

PS. I do my best. Thanks.

Edited by NanLaew

True, Finland has a small ;population, but that doesn't mean they don't have an infinitely more convenient system, whereas in the UK the police stations are being closed. And I doubt there are hoards of people descending each day to renew passports in Thailand, so why they can't operate a simple walk-in service is a mystery to me. I can only imagine they don't separate simple renewal and general passport requests from people seeking visas, so everyone has to make an appointment.

16 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

True, Finland has a small ;population, but that doesn't mean they don't have an infinitely more convenient system, whereas in the UK the police stations are being closed. And I doubt there are hoards of people descending each day to renew passports in Thailand, so why they can't operate a simple walk-in service is a mystery to me. I can only imagine they don't separate simple renewal and general passport requests from people seeking visas, so everyone has to make an appointment.

I agree that Finland's system has a whole lot going for it. Can't passport renewals also be submitted at the local PO in the UK? I recall they did a similar document checking as VFS does and saved people going to passport offices. New passports have to done on-line/in-person but unless they've stopped it, renewals used to be facilitated through certain, main (not all) Post Offices?

The UK passport bit at VFS is also separate from the much larger UK visa department and all they share is the lobby desk downstairs, the reception desk upstairs and the security check. After that, passport renewals/replacements are at the front-left of the office. Last time (3 renewals in 3 months), they had a couple of sofa's and a coffee table outside the secure 'interview' room. I recall that on each visit, there was at least one and sometimes 2 applicants, either submitting or picking up during my approximate 15 minutes submitting and 5 minutes collecting. The main and much busier visa area of VFS takes up the rest of the floor as I recall.

On 29/09/2017 at 3:57 PM, Bangkok Barry said:

This is not the info given on the UKGov website I used and referred to in posting #10 above. Can you provide the link please. The info I and others who commented find this info there (my Bold type):

Making your application

You must apply in person. If you’re unable to, someone else can go on your behalf. You must bring photo ID with you.

Bring original supporting documents and a colour photocopy of each one. The original documents will be returned to you.

You must also bring your current passport with you when you apply, and a full colour photocopy of the entire passport (every page including blank pages).

You can’t travel with it after you’ve applied for a new one - but you will be able to keep your existing passport for ID purposes.

You’ll need to book an appointment by email. Include your first name and last name and 3 alternative dates and times. You will receive an email confirming your appointment.

UK Visa Application Centre
The Trendy Office Building,
28th Floor,
Sukhumvit Soi13,
Klongtoey-Nua, Wattana
Bangkok
Thailand

Email: [email protected]

I just went through this again today and your findings above are absolutely correct. I have no idea why I got a different result the last time I went through the site except perhaps that it is in "Beta" and maybe I caught them between settings, perhaps?

Anyway, to confirm, as you say, in person only. WAPITA!

On ‎30‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 11:33 PM, OJAS said:

Did this pathetic reply originate from HMPO in the UK, Barry, or from the "With-It Tower Mob" in Bangkok?

If the latter, then the basic grammatical errors to which you refer make me extremely fearful about the possibility of HMPO inflicting a further "improvement" in the dreaded "With-It Tower Passport Renewal Experience" on us through the introduction of a requirement for the provision of certified translations into Thai of completed application forms and all related supporting documents, solely for the convenience of locally-employed "With-It Tower Mobsters" with a minimal grasp of the English language.:crazy:

Trendy Tower is indeed a grim place, but to be strictly objective, I found the service upstairs at the VFS office quite slick and helpful when we  put in my wife's application last week. I would say the young lady who dealt with us was the model of efficiency and courtesy, she spoke very good English and she wasn't fazed by the change of name Deed Poll which formed part of the missis' application. She probably hadn't seen many, if any, but she had obviously been trained in what they are, which was something I was concerned about before we went. Having gone in about 20 minutes early, we were walking out before our actual appointment time.

The worst part of being there is the elevators, where you are crammed in so tightly it's scary. If there was any sort of disruption such as a power cut, it's not impossible someone might die. The other serious downside is having to go there twice. As you have to provide a verifiable address, I can't see why VFS can't post you the new passport. OK, you have to send in your expiring document, so for a couple of days or so you're infringing the sacred rule that you must have you passport with you at all times, but if you use one of the agent services you must be at least a couple of days with no document, so there's not a serious difference.

On 10/1/2017 at 12:20 PM, Jip99 said:

Not wishing to be contrary but I have waited over 5 years for an answer to my question about EXACTLY WHERE does it state that it i "illegal" not to have your passport with you at all times. The British embassy could not provide me with the legal reference point not could HMPO.

I will still be waiting in 5 years time because it is not illegal. It is a common practice and you are required to produce your passport if called upon to do so by a responsible officer.

And the interesting point to note in this connection is that the State Department do not apparently consider it a problem for our American cousins not to have their existing passports on them at all times (or, indeed, at any time) during the renewal process!

2 hours ago, Eff1n2ret said:

Trendy Tower is indeed a grim place, but to be strictly objective, I found the service upstairs at the VFS office quite slick and helpful when we  put in my wife's application last week. I would say the young lady who dealt with us was the model of efficiency and courtesy, she spoke very good English and she wasn't fazed by the change of name Deed Poll which formed part of the missis' application. She probably hadn't seen many, if any, but she had obviously been trained in what they are, which was something I was concerned about before we went. Having gone in about 20 minutes early, we were walking out before our actual appointment time.

The worst part of being there is the elevators, where you are crammed in so tightly it's scary. If there was any sort of disruption such as a power cut, it's not impossible someone might die. The other serious downside is having to go there twice. As you have to provide a verifiable address, I can't see why VFS can't post you the new passport. OK, you have to send in your expiring document, so for a couple of days or so you're infringing the sacred rule that you must have you passport with you at all times, but if you use one of the agent services you must be at least a couple of days with no document, so there's not a serious difference.

To be fair, you can't blame VfS for the system, they are simply following the rules by HMPO. VfS have actually become quite efficient.

I agree entirely that the new passport at least should be sent direct to the holder.Pointless exercise routing via Bangkok - it achieves nothing.

Not being without the passport is over-played; I have helped several people who do not see their old passport from the minute the application is sent in until their new one arrives.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Eff1n2ret said:

If we did have to make any physical trip to Bangkok, the one to collect our new passports (and get our old ones cancelled) would IMHO be the preferable option. This could be achieved by HMPO making it possible for us to use the online system and post the colour copies of our existing passports (which we are in any event required to provide) directly to the UK in lieu of the original passports.

And, since the online system includes a facility for taking facial photos for the new passport, it would also overcome the problems of obtaining photos complying with HMPO's strict criteria, which, I suspect, are pretty commonplace here in Thailand, particularly away from the major urban centres. I don't know what the situation is like in your part of Rayong Province, but here in Amphur Klaeng professional photographers with the capability of taking passport photos against a cream or light grey background, for example, appear to be a non-existent species! 

15 hours ago, OJAS said:

And the interesting point to note in this connection is that the State Department do not apparently consider it a problem for our American cousins not to have their existing passports on them at all times (or, indeed, at any time) during the renewal process!

A very senior police officer said, last year I think, that a photocopy of relevant pages is enough.

17 hours ago, Jip99 said:

To be fair, you can't blame VfS for the system, they are simply following the rules by HMPO. VfS have actually become quite efficient.

I agree entirely that the new passport at least should be sent direct to the holder.Pointless exercise routing via Bangkok - it achieves nothing.

Not being without the passport is over-played; I have helped several people who do not see their old passport from the minute the application is sent in until their new one arrives.

I agree with you, I don't blame VFS at all.

As regards routing the new passport via them, I suppose the argument is that HMPO can make bulk shipments, which  save on cost - but I don't know if that's the way they do it. I also don't know what they do these days to deface the expiring passport. Unless they cut a corner off the whole document, or punch a hole through it or otherwise stamp every page there isn't much point in producing it to VFS except as verification to get the new one. There is a security issue in doing nothing with the old passport, because skilled forgers can find a use for undamaged pages.

I also agree that "not being in possession of  your passport" is overplayed. It shouldn't be beyond the Fine Minds of the Foreign Office to negotiate with the  appropriate authorities to come up with a system which doesn't inconvenience and cost us so much.

17 hours ago, OJAS said:

And, since the online system includes a facility for taking facial photos for the new passport, it would also overcome the problems of obtaining photos complying with HMPO's strict criteria, which, I suspect, are pretty commonplace here in Thailand, particularly away from the major urban centres. I don't know what the situation is like in your part of Rayong Province, but here in Amphur Klaeng professional photographers with the capability of taking passport photos against a cream or light grey background, for example, appear to be a non-existent species! 

Good point about the online system. There are a couple of photographers in Banchang who seem au fait with HMPO's requirements, but I must own up to submitting photos that I took and printed myself. It's not difficult and I found a free app on the Windows Store which will bring up the size requirements for different countries. The free app only allows one print per 6x4 sheet, but I got 2 ok. The VFS lady accepted them without comment, but of course the final arbiter is HMPO, so I'll know in a couple of weeks whether I've got away with it or not. We're not in a panic for the passport, so if we have to go into town and get them done there it's not the end of the world.

If you have to go to Trendy to submit the application, there is at least one shop which will supply the photos, no doubt at a handsome price.

17 minutes ago, Eff1n2ret said:

Good point about the online system. There are a couple of photographers in Banchang who seem au fait with HMPO's requirements, but I must own up to submitting photos that I took and printed myself. It's not difficult and I found a free app on the Windows Store which will bring up the size requirements for different countries. The free app only allows one print per 6x4 sheet, but I got 2 ok. The VFS lady accepted them without comment, but of course the final arbiter is HMPO, so I'll know in a couple of weeks whether I've got away with it or not. We're not in a panic for the passport, so if we have to go into town and get them done there it's not the end of the world.

If you have to go to Trendy to submit the application, there is at least one shop which will supply the photos, no doubt at a handsome price.

Most Kodak shops, even n the boonies, seem to have the specs or UK passport photos - or at least they can understand the specs if you print them off and take them with you. That said, I cocked-up on one occasion when I did not spot that they had printed the missus' (visa) photos on a blue background.

I believe VfS cut off the corner when the new passport is handed out - my old one came back like that.

I do understand the security thinking behind presenting the old passport, by way of ID, but I can't help thinking that by allowing a third party to do it for you this is diluting the security aspect.

2 hours ago, Jip99 said:

I do understand the security thinking behind presenting the old passport, by way of ID, but I can't help thinking that by allowing a third party to do it for you this is diluting the security aspect.

The security aspect that concerns me more than anything is having to write out my credit card details on a form, security number, signature, everything except my PIN. It's one reason why I'm a little reluctant to use one of the agents - not that I'm questioning their probity, it just increases the number of people who could quite easily pop the form on a photocopier and pass a copy to someone else.

16 minutes ago, Eff1n2ret said:

The security aspect that concerns me more than anything is having to write out my credit card details on a form, security number, signature, everything except my PIN. It's one reason why I'm a little reluctant to use one of the agents - not that I'm questioning their probity, it just increases the number of people who could quite easily pop the form on a photocopier and pass a copy to someone else.

Your concern is understandable.

Any agent worth their salt will offer to use their own card for payment, thus protecting you from that risk.

• Like 1
On 10/1/2017 at 8:19 PM, NanLaew said:

Finland is hard pushed to amass a total population of 5 and half mill.

They also don't have as prodigious a diaspora as Britain.

You can renew your passport in a similar way in Australia at your local post office as I understand you can in the UK but here we are talking about renewing the passport when you are overseas which is different 

19 hours ago, Jip99 said:

Most Kodak shops, even n the boonies, seem to have the specs or UK passport photos - or at least they can understand the specs if you print them off and take them with you.

Not sure that the Kodak shop in my neck of the woods I use for extension of stay and re-entry permit photos are aware of the specific UK passport photo requirements, though. For example, I have never seen any light grey or cream drapes there for use as the background. And photoshopping these colours is a no-no as far as HMPO are concerned.

12 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Not sure that the Kodak shop in my neck of the woods I use for extension of stay and re-entry permit photos are aware of the specific UK passport photo requirements, though. For example, I have never seen any light grey or cream drapes there for use as the background. And photoshopping these colours is a no-no as far as HMPO are concerned.

I am no technician where photography is concerned but I recall being concerned that I had to sit on a stool n front of a dark background.

I imagine that the images taken are then 'digitally prepared' for printing..... came out on a white background.

17 hours ago, Eff1n2ret said:

17 hours ago, Jip99 said:

Your concern is understandable.

Any agent worth their salt will offer to use their own card for payment, thus protecting you from that risk.

This is an issue which arises for UK passport renewals in any case since HMPO require you to provide a completed credit card authorisation form. Who knows what a less-than-honest With-It Tower Mobster might do with it before popping it into an envelope along with the rest of your application docs?

All the more reason for us to be permitted to use the online renewal facility, I think.

21 hours ago, Eff1n2ret said:

IMHO these concerns are equally applicable to an agent's handling of a new passport following its collection from Bangkok.

4 hours ago, OJAS said:

Who knows what a less-than-honest With-It Tower Mobster might do with it before popping it into an envelope along with the rest of your application docs?

I was very reassured as I watched them moving all the documents, including the credit card charge form, all in plain sight on the desk top between us and into the envelope and sealing it, once again all right in front of me. Three times they did this too, once for each separate renewal.

I am not sure if that will be good enough for you though.

Edited by NanLaew
1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

was very reassured as I watched them moving all the documents, including the credit card charge form, all in plain sight on the desk top between us and into the envelope and sealing it, once again all right in front of me. Three times they did this too, once for each separate renewal.

Indeed, I am less concerned about the security at that stage, but rather before, if you use an agent, or after, when the paperwork is processed. What happens to those credit card forms after the payment is processed? Unless they're shredded instantly, the risk is there. It's a ludicrously old-fashioned and insecure way of collecting payment. The same applies to payments to the British Embassy for the income letter.

1 hour ago, Eff1n2ret said:

Indeed, I am less concerned about the security at that stage, but rather before, if you use an agent, or after, when the paperwork is processed. What happens to those credit card forms after the payment is processed? Unless they're shredded instantly, the risk is there. It's a ludicrously old-fashioned and insecure way of collecting payment. The same applies to payments to the British Embassy for the income letter.

As said, any agent worth their salt will use their card not yours. Does that make you more comfortable.

I think you may need to have some faith in the embassy staff......

On 10/4/2017 at 2:10 PM, NanLaew said:

I was very reassured as I watched them moving all the documents, including the credit card charge form, all in plain sight on the desk top between us and into the envelope and sealing it, once again all right in front of me. Three times they did this too, once for each separate renewal.

I am not sure if that will be good enough for you though.

Yet further confirmation that the following observation is spot-on, I think:-

On 10/1/2017 at 8:27 PM, Oxx said:

My god, you really are an obnoxious piece of work, aren't you.

I  recently applied for a new UK passport in Bangkok, as my previous one, although valid for a further two years, was almost full. This was my first experience of applying at the Trendy building and I have no complaints at all about the service that I received there.

I am not happy about the UK government's policy of outsourcing various public service functions, but that is another matter.

My appointment at the Trendy building was on 25th August and I presented all of the document required, and was told that the new passport would be ready within 3 - 4 weeks.

The receipt stated:

PASSPORT COLLECTION

What you need t have :

Document receipt from VFS

- British Passport

- Authority Letter (or third party collection

It also gave details of passport collection time.

On 11th September I received a anonymous phone call from a Thai speaker (north-eastern accent) advising me that a parcel was about to be delivered my home address (in the rural north-east). Lo and behold, it was my new passport, for which  I had to sign but did not have to produce any documentary identification.

A few weeks ago I received an email from Her Majesty's Passport Office inviting me to complete a customer satisfaction questionnaire. Most of the questions concerned my understanding of the application procedure, so it was more of a intelligence test than a request for customer feedback. On the final page there was  small space for any additional comments, and I attempted to summarise my experience, and my misgivings with the delivery process, as I got the impression that had I  not been at home the parcel might possibly have been left with a neighbour.

I have yet to receive a reply.

• Like 1
I  recently applied for a new UK passport in Bangkok, as my previous one, although valid for a further two years, was almost full. This was my first experience of applying at the Trendy building and I have no complaints at all about the service that I received there.

I am not happy about the UK government's policy of outsourcing various public service functions, but that is another matter.

My appointment at the Trendy building was on 25th August and I presented all of the document required, and was told that the new passport would be ready within 3 - 4 weeks.

The receipt stated:

PASSPORT COLLECTION

What you need t have :

Document receipt from VFS
- British Passport
- Authority Letter (or third party collection

It also gave details of passport collection time.

On 11th September I received a anonymous phone call from a Thai speaker (north-eastern accent) advising me that a parcel was about to be delivered my home address (in the rural north-east). Lo and behold, it was my new passport, for which  I had to sign but did not have to produce any documentary identification.

A few weeks ago I received an email from Her Majesty's Passport Office inviting me to complete a customer satisfaction questionnaire. Most of the questions concerned my understanding of the application procedure, so it was more of a intelligence test than a request for customer feedback. On the final page there was  small space for any additional comments, and I attempted to summarise my experience, and my misgivings with the delivery process, as I got the impression that had I  not been at home the parcel might possibly have been left with a neighbour.

I have yet to receive a reply.

So presumably you had asked for the new passport to be delivered to you? I didn't think that was permissible.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• 4 months later...

HI All

I am trying to apply to renew my passport ,but I can not even get over the first hurdle, make an appointment at  Trendy, their system uses Microsoft outlook ,and I can not get in to it ,took 4 attempts to get they system  to accept my e-mail address,and when it did  a box appeared .

It said .

The name on the security certificate is in invalid or does not match the name of the site .

Then,Can not start Microsoft Out look, the information store could not be opened.

Now,last year I had a malware on my windows program ,took it to my local shop , she did it the Thai way uninstalled my genuine Windows ,and put in a 200 baht Windows copy , it works ,but it dose have some gremlins.

And I am not good with computers ,as my old boss said when I was a lowly apprentice" You are like a ruptured Rook". Same with computers 

So,I think  this  program, not being genuine, Trendy's system is  not taking  what i put in .

Any one any iders 

A,it will not even take my e-mail adress .tem 

13 hours ago, kickstart said:

So,I think  this  program, not being genuine, Trendy's system is  not taking  what i put in .

Any one any iders 

What email service are you using? Try doing it on a browser instead of outlook.

Perhaps set up a Gmail or Yahoo mail account if you don't have one.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

What email service are you using? Try doing it on a browser instead of outlook.

Perhaps set up a Gmail or Yahoo mail account if you don't have one.

ubonjoe

Thanks for the help ,did what you advised ,no problem .

A case of easy when you know how ,it is the knowing how bit .