Eat well, stop smoking, get exercise to avoid heart attack: World Heart Day

snoop1130

Eat well, stop smoking, get exercise to avoid heart attack: World Heart Day

By The Nation

67271bb951a092baea3e4c8ca843b2a0.jpeg

Heart disease now claims the lives of two people hourly in Thailand, leading the Medical Services Department to advise people to avoid risky factors, including high-fat food, smoking and excessive drinking.

Department Deputy Director-General Narong Apikulawanit issued the warning at a press conference to mark World Heart Day. The international campaign is spearheaded by the World Heart Federation and held worldwide every September 29 to spread awareness about preventing heart disease and strokes.

Narong said heart disease must be urgently tackled given that it caused the death of an estimated 7.4 million deaths worldwide in 2012. Thailand’s ratio of coronary heart disease deaths in 2015 was 28.9 per 100,000 population, or approximately two deaths per hour, he said.

People with diabetes, high blood pressure, obesity, and high cholesterol, as well as smokers, are at particular risk and must pay attention to their heart health, said Narong.

They should adopt a low-sodium, low-sugar and low-fat diet high in nutrients, and drink sufficient water, he said. They should also exercise at least 30 minutes daily five times a week or take up other appropriate low-impact activities such as house cleaning, cycling or garden strolling.

Warning symptoms of progressing heart disease include easy tiring, chest tightness during exercise and chest pain that spreads to the left shoulder. If the symptoms last for more than five minutes or get worse, immediate medical attention should be sought, Narong warned.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30328029

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-09-29

40 minutes ago, Topdoc said:

Why no mention of magnesium, the essential mineral for heart health. The heart has the highest magnesium requirement of any organ, specifically the left ventricle. With insufficient amounts of magnesium, the heart cannot function properly.

Can't be with the amount of grease used here everything gets fried including political opponents

8 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

Good advice, but Not exactly "news". This info's been known for decades and heart disease is usually easily preventable, yet remains the #1 killer of men as well as women! 

Because most people think exercise is a dirty word and eating right is too much trouble.

31 minutes ago, robblok said:

Because most people think exercise is a dirty word and eating right is too much trouble.

Oh God... Mrs baboon has a pal round the corner she visits on the bloody motorbike. Now 'round the corner' means exactly that, as in literally a 2 minute walk away. I am sure many of you can share similar stories...

Just now, baboon said:

Oh God... Mrs baboon has a pal round the corner she visits on the bloody motorbike. Now 'round the corner' means exactly that, as in literally a 2 minute walk away. I am sure many of you can share similar stories...

Yes I can, there are so many people who hate walking ( i undestand it in the heat). I used to love walking in the Dutch forests (ok not real wild forests like the US). Still I live here in a Muh Banh outskirts of BKK and I look straight onto the Muh Bahn park (say 15 meters away). There is exercise equipment there (my professional view is that it wont help much but is better then nothing). But I do see some Thais jogging around the park and using the equipment.

They are of course a minority. There is one lady that really puts effort in it but she stays quite heavy (her legs are nice and slim). I am tempted to tell her its not just exercise but also food intake. But I worry that might make her angry. She really puts the effort in and i feel its such a shame that the results are not better. I made the same mistake at one point too, thinking that I could out exercise a bad diet (you can't). 

I always try to help people who are genuinely interested in losing weight and exercise. But the main part comes from eating right and that is hard to do for many. I am blessed that I don't get bored of eating the same thing often. I can eat salad every day of the week (1 meal) and always the same breakfast (protein shake and oatmeal and an apple). 

I have a brother, he was the slim one, when we were young. You could always count his ribs, i I was always a bit more heavily build. He could eat whatever he wanted. He did so as he did not gain any weight, now unfortunately he is a diabetic (early stages diagnosed this year). So even slim people will have to watch their food and do some exercise.

I like working out helps to relieve stress and counters me sitting behind a computer all day. But there are days I don't want to do it at all, but i still do so as I know that by skipping once it get easier to skip the next time ect ect. I see exercise as something that should be fun but is not always fun. Sometimes you just have to do it just like brushing your teeth.

Around 2011 i was eating unhealthy drinking too much, i did exercise but I got fat. It got to a point where i hated it when my picture was taken. A year later I lost 25 kg by cleaning up what I ate and doing the same exercise.. what you eat is so important. But I really understand people who don't want to exercise and eat well. Its hard and can be boring, while going to Coldstone or Swensons and eating nice icecreams or having loads of nice meals in restaurants is far more fun. Its just a choice you have to make and stick with. 

As for exercise, everyone is different and people just have to find something that suits them even if its not the most effective exercise there is. Its far better to do something long term then to find something real effective but boring and quit after a few months. 

(i like this topic far more then politics but topics like this draw no attention at all)

Robblok, you make a lot of good points. Me, I am nothing like the fitness aficionado you are, but I do cycle and eat my greens. Even just the bit I do pays dividends - I am spending a few days in the UK and went for a general health checkup yesterday. I won't bore you with the test results other than it came out as a 'Pretty good, low risk'.

All many folk need do for a marked improvement is just walk to the shop, eat some of those boring vegetables and forego that tempting ice cream when the cart comes around, but alas I don't see that happening in my household...

5 hours ago, robblok said:

Eating healthy IS a lot of trouble. You can't buy it along the roads and going into a supermarket takes 30 minutes.

Why not sell salads along the road? or good japanese bento-sets.

6 minutes ago, Thian said:

Eating healthy IS a lot of trouble. You can't buy it along the roads and going into a supermarket takes 30 minutes.

I seen salad sold along the road.. but not everywhere that is for sure.

17 minutes ago, Thian said:

30 mins to pick up some salad. That's an awful long time.

Been a vegan for almost 28 years. Still exercise and love walking...even in the Thai heat. Grew up in Central Florida, so not too different. Waist was 30" when graduated HS and college and weight160. They are just slightly more now. 

Had my first physical in nearly 28 years recently and Doc said I was obviously doing everything right. Everyone guesses my age much younger than actual...most 15-20 years younger!

Exercise is important, but diet is moreso and absolutely essential. Not saying anyone needs to become a vegan or even vegetarian, but a nutritious low fat, high fiber diet with less meat and fatty, processed foods will pay huge dividends. :thumbsup: Lots of fresh fruits, salads (watch out for HIGH fat dressings!), veggies and whole grains and nuts. Cut back on the processed sugars!

(FYI...I do drink beer and wine every day and love my vodka/tonics and Sang Som/coke). Hey...nobody's perfect! :vampire:

3 hours ago, maxpower said:

30 mins to pick up some salad. That's an awful long time.

30 min to go into a mall and buy it, also 20 min. to get out of the mall by car. And if the qeueu's at Tops are very long (like at the end of the month) it will take a lot longer.

Local markets also have salad buy going there by car is a crime, motobike is very dangerous. Also those local salads have all the cheapest vegy, i prefer imported vegy but that's hard to get. Makro has it though.

But we do eat healthy and walk a lot. The problem is that BKK is so overcrowded which costs loads of extra time and frustration.

On 30-9-2017 at 11:01 AM, baboon said:

Robblok, you make a lot of good points. Me, I am nothing like the fitness aficionado you are, but I do cycle and eat my greens. Even just the bit I do pays dividends - I am spending a few days in the UK and went for a general health checkup yesterday. I won't bore you with the test results other than it came out as a 'Pretty good, low risk'.

All many folk need do for a marked improvement is just walk to the shop, eat some of those boring vegetables and forego that tempting ice cream when the cart comes around, but alas I don't see that happening in my household...

Yes cycling and eating your greens is a good thing and often enough to make a difference. Its good you did a  checkup, i get my blood tested every year to see how things are going. Better to prevent something then then to play catch-up.

As I said before sports are part of it just find something you like.. in your case cycling.. in my case lifting weights. Just something I am good at / respond too and its convenient for me. I like badminton too but its hard to do alone and if you have to set it up with a partner or partners it often goes wrong or times dont match.

Small changes, don't go radical that is something that most often fails. You can change something.. then change something more.. or not.. but just a little helps a lot.

On 30-9-2017 at 3:18 PM, Thian said:

I just go to the makro once every 5-6 days.. buy salad and carrots, onions, tomatoes, olives, cucumber, beansprouts. Cut it all up put it in separate boxes and mix the salad everyday with some dressing and either some chicken or tuna or pork. Works for me. Before I bought stuff from jones salad, at first i could keep it for 4 days but it went down to 2 days and just cost too much time. They do have a delivery system but it makes it a bit expensive. 

Some Larger than large, guy collapsed last time I was in a bar Oz...The girl behind the counter screamed out, Does anyone know CPR ?... I said CPR  I know the whole entire alphabet.

Well everyone laughed and laughed and laughed...... except for this one guy......:coffee1:

11 minutes ago, robblok said:

I just go to the makro once every 5-6 days.. buy salad and carrots, onions, tomatoes, olives, cucumber, beansprouts. Cut it all up put it in separate boxes and mix the salad everyday with some dressing and either some chicken or tuna or pork. Works for me. Before I bought stuff from jones salad, at first i could keep it for 4 days but it went down to 2 days and just cost too much time. They do have a delivery system but it makes it a bit expensive. 

Well i don't eat salads older than a few hours but that makes it a lot harder. Makro is good for vegy, also their avocado's are nice and very healthy. 55 for avocado while in Topsy 99....

They even have dutch potato's in Makro, great.

Today we bought a load of fish from Makro. We drove to CP to buy salmonsteaks but they had liquid water inside the frozen package...so i won't go back there anymore, now buy fresh fish (also frozen) from Makro and freeze ourselves if needed.

Also i noticed the Makro doesn't use the huge picture of the farang baker anymore with the text "baked fresh everyday", great! I still boycot their bakery though.

21 minutes ago, Thian said:

Well i don't eat salads older than a few hours but that makes it a lot harder. Makro is good for vegy, also their avocado's are nice and very healthy. 55 for avocado while in Topsy 99....

They even have dutch potato's in Makro, great.

Today we bought a load of fish from Makro. We drove to CP to buy salmonsteaks but they had liquid water inside the frozen package...so i won't go back there anymore, now buy fresh fish (also frozen) from Makro and freeze ourselves if needed.

Also i noticed the Makro doesn't use the huge picture of the farang baker anymore with the text "baked fresh everyday", great! I still boycot their bakery though.

The salad stays good for days in the fridge if you get the fresh hydroponic salad, but to each his or her own. 

7 minutes ago, robblok said:

The salad stays good for days in the fridge if you get the fresh hydroponic salad, but to each his or her own. 

Yes but the sliced vegy will loose it's vitamins...lettuce is just a small part of our salads. And we don't eat salad every day.

Today it is mackerell steak and yellowfin with mushrooms broccoli asparagus paprika and carrot.

If that isn't healthy i don't know what is.

33 minutes ago, hydrogenwatermaker said:

Nice advice for people. healthy life can be leaded with healthy food and clean water drinking habits. Specially hydrogen water is the safest form of water now a days to drink.

Yes, I tried water without hydrogen - it was very gassy.