Fugitive ex-PM Yingluck Shinawatra seeks asylum in UK

snoop1130

1 minute ago, Eric Loh said:

The coup plotting came right after she won the election in 2010. Your favourite politician said that himself. Then after he set up the scene with the Bangkok Shutdown and use provocateurs and paid mercenaries to intensify the situation. Up step the General declaring to Suthep that he must be tired and let the military take over. All documented and yet you date twist the facts. Desperate ain't you. 

Quoting Suthep as a credible source? Oh, I see, you're not actually mentioning his name now after being called on it elsewhere. But really, Suthep said so it must be true?

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, Reigntax said:

Good for her. She can live in a country where the basis of law and rights was drafted almost 800 years ago rather than redrafted every 4 years.

Don't forget the other part...

And then ignored or sidestepped for the entire four years, until the next time it's re-drafted again.

They might as well be printing their documents in eraseable ink!

4 minutes ago, David Walden said:

What for political crimes?

Absolutely. Article 5 of the U.K. Thailand extradition treaty spelt out clearly.

Article 5

A fugitive criminal shall not be surrendered if the offence in respect of which his surrender is demanded is deemed by the Party on whom the demand is made to be one of a political character, or if he prove that the requisition for his surrender has in fact been made with a view to try or punish him for an offence of a political character. 

13 hours ago, tomwct said:

England has an extradition agreement with Thailand, so if Thailand requests extradition she'll be returning home!

If Thailand had a democraticly elected government she would be extradited but the country doesn't, it has a military regime created by an illegal coup so any agreements or aid to the country is automatically null and void.

1 hour ago, Aj Mick said:

Only applies if charges or convictions are for an offence that is recognised as a crime in both countries.

Ill conceived and poorly administered her party's policy may have been, but she did not benefit directly from them. In the UK she would have had to face the electorate, but not criminal charges.

Again someone who did not read the verdict.

She was convicted because Boonsong did fake G2G trades (costing the country 30 billion). People made remarks about the fake trades and as a result YL removed Boonsong in 2013 (thereby acknowledging the fake trades). She however did NOT cancel the trades (probably because some that were profiting from them were linked to her brother). She is charged for not preventing corruption while she had clear knowledge of it. Negligence. 

I wonder why so many people post who actually don't even know why she was sentenced. I guess its easier to call it a witch hunt then to accept the charges were real. The judges did not make any judgement about the rice scheme itself. They only commented on the corruption and her knowledge of it and neglect to stop it. That is a crime anywhere. Just imagine if a minister knows about corruption in the UK but does not stop it because parties linked with his family are benefiting from it. 

This was not about the policy it self but the fake G2G trades.. trades with China that were never exported to China and that were denied by the Chinese government. This rice was sold at a low price to fake representatives of China, did and resold for the high rice program price in Thailand costing the state 30 billion. The traders who benefited were linked to YL her brother. 

This was all known back in the 2013 but hard to prove as YL and her government did her best to stop any investigations and claimed no corruption. When she lost her power finally a good investigation exposed it and proved it without a shadow of a doubt. 

4 minutes ago, halloween said:

Quoting Suthep as a credible source? Oh, I see, you're not actually mentioning his name now after being called on it elsewhere. But really, Suthep said so it must be true?

Appreciate you put his name for me. His name is so foul and disgusting for me to mention him before my breakfast. I will throw up for this evil corrupt untouchable "monk". 

Personally I think this is great news for all of us Brits with Thai wives. IF she is granted stay based on there being a military Junta and no government, then that means we can all take our wives back to blighty to claim asylum rather than deal with the useless Embassy and silly visa charges for settlement !

12 hours ago, Media1 said:

You are delusional and do not know the first thing about right and wrong. Firstly it is a criminal.offence in country to stage a coup and possibly instigate one. 

Secondly no ex PM should be threatened or pursued. She elected by the people for the people. On the other hand your friend forced his way in and gave himself a licence to steal. 

No one is listening to you son. The country has gone in reverse gear.

The great general can't visit my country due to this fact. Good luck

Well said sir

1 hour ago, Aj Mick said:

Ill conceived and poorly administered her party's policy may have been, but she did not benefit directly from them.

You don't know that as a fact. In fact, it's entirely possible that she and/or members of her clan did benefit financially from all the nefarious activities that went on with the rice subsidy program, including fake government sales, commissions to rice brokers, etc.

10 minutes ago, robblok said:

Again someone who did not read the verdict.

She was convicted because Boonsong did fake G2G trades (costing the country 30 billion). People made remarks about the fake trades and as a result YL removed Boonsong in 2013 (thereby acknowledging the fake trades). She however did NOT cancel the trades (probably because some that were profiting from them were linked to her brother). She is charged for not preventing corruption while she had clear knowledge of it. Negligence. 

I wonder why so many people post who actually don't even know why she was sentenced. I guess its easier to call it a witch hunt then to accept the charges were real. The judges did not make any judgement about the rice scheme itself. They only commented on the corruption and her knowledge of it and neglect to stop it. That is a crime anywhere. Just imagine if a minister knows about corruption in the UK but does not stop it because parties linked with his family are benefiting from it. 

This was not about the policy it self but the fake G2G trades.. trades with China that were never exported to China and that were denied by the Chinese government. This rice was sold at a low price to fake representatives of China, did and resold for the high rice program price in Thailand costing the state 30 billion. The traders who benefited were linked to YL her brother. 

This was all known back in the 2013 but hard to prove as YL and her government did her best to stop any investigations and claimed no corruption. When she lost her power finally a good investigation exposed it and proved it without a shadow of a doubt. 

So you have actually seen the so-called evidence yourself have you and you have absolute faith in the Thai judiciary system being completely independent from the executive or the legislegislative branches of government? 

Just now, aslimversgwm said:

So you have actually seen the so-called evidence yourself have you and you have absolute faith in the Thai judiciary system being completely independent from the executive or the legislegislative branches of government? 

Oh yea.. that is a good one.. if the evidence was fake don't you think the lawyers of YL would have had it thrown out. 

If you lived here during that time you would have seen articles in the newspaper about those fake G2G deals. You would have known the Chinese government denied buying the rice (something what is needed for a (G)overment) to (G)overment deal.

You would also have known that it would have been real easy for YL her defense to prove the evidence was fake by providing proof that the rice was transported to China. Rice valued 30 billion is not a little bit.. and something like that could be traced. They did none of this. So yea I have complete faith in the evidence because YL her defense team is not incompetent. 

14 hours ago, Reigntax said:

Good for her. She can live in a country where the basis of law and rights was drafted almost 800 years ago rather than redrafted every 4 years.

I doubt she will have to utilize a crumbling neglected NHS or seek a meal at the ever increasing food banks either in the UK. The Conservative led government will welcome her with open arms. I can she her donations to the party will be most welcomed and she will fit in nicely to the ruling class.

Was in ever seriously in question she would ever pay the price of her misdeameaners  when she was Thai PM?

Edited by SpeakeasyThai

At least, if she is in the UK on a Montenegrin passport, she won't get deported back to Thailand, if her bid for political asylum fails.  However, the UK court could argue that there is no need to grant political asylum, since there is no evidence she will face persecution back in her home country of Montenegro.  

3 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

At least, if she is in the UK on a Montenegrin passport, she won't get deported back to Thailand, if her bid for political asylum fails.  However, the UK court could argue that there is no need to grant political asylum, since there is no evidence she will face persecution back in her home country of Montenegro.  

She can apply to stay in the UK on all sorts of visas if the Asylumn avenue fails. She will have the finest immigration layers money can buy so she is effectively home and dry. Personally i think she should be jailed and serve her 5 yaar sentence.

The British government sets a very high value on the relationship with the  current military government which is says is in the public interest.  It has shown itself willing to allow British police to commit criminal offences to assist Thai police in framing up innocents for the murder of British citizens to protect local mafia, "in the public interest." 

So it should definitely pause for thought before granting this asylum request from a criminal who was convicted in a perfectly sound judgement.  The court didn't convict her for having a bad policy or for failing to prevent general and widespread corruption in the rice pledging scheme.  She was convicted for failing to take proper steps to investigate the fake G2G rice export scams only.  After the scams were brought to her attention, she laughingly appointed the staff and associates of the leading scamster, Boonsong, who has been sentenced to 42 years in prison, knowing full well they would only cover up the scam.  Sounds like a fair cop to me.    

14 hours ago, tomwct said:

England has an extradition agreement with Thailand, so if Thailand requests extradition she'll be returning home!

You really think the UK would return her to a country where, as a democratically elected PM, she was ousted in a military coup by a regime that has in the years since made excuse after excuse not to return the country to democratic elections? I don't think so.

Saying that, of course she was installed as a puppet, who then predictably got out of her depth and was unable to deal with the rice scandal. So in overseeing it and not preventing it from happening she was guilty as charged. She was unable to cope and ended up as the scapegoat.

Just now, SpeakeasyThai said:

She can apply to stay in the UK on all sorts of visas if the Asylumn avenue fails. She will have the finest immigration layers money can buy so she is effectively home and dry. Personally i think she should be jailed and serve her 5 yaar sentence.

You are right.  She can get a settlement visa by investing only about 500,000 pounds, which is small change to her brother.  I think political asylum would be the first choice because she would be a protected person and Thailand could not entangle her in extradition proceedings.  Even though there is nil chance of a successful extradition, she could be tied up for about five years, unable to travel out of the UK and having to report regularly to a police station, if they really went ahead. 

Apart from anything else securing political asylum in the UK would be a huge political endorsement for the Shins.  Hopefully the UK will not fall into this trap. 

14 hours ago, Reigntax said:

Don't forget that half-way through that illustrious 800 year history, they had a civil war that settled the growing unrest between Parliamentarians and Royalists over abuses of these laws by the latter.

Oops... did I just say that out loud?

14 hours ago, tomwct said:

So? Then she just flits ower the border tae Scotland.

I am sure she will be fronted as an excellent example of repression of democracy by Sturgeon's limping, blue-faced call for, "Freeeeeedummmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!"

Edited by NanLaew

46 minutes ago, halloween said:

Hate to tell you this, but the UK does have a law regarding negligence in office. IIRC last used unsuccessfully against a Minister of Health some 60 years ago.

A law used once unsuccessfully a long time ago? I see. Must be a real ripper.

I reckon it must be at least as robust as the Thai law(s) that allowed her to easily escape justice being served.

36 minutes ago, halloween said:

Would it be rude of the UK to enquire as to the source of her wealth and proof of tax paid?

The American media mogul Rupert Murdoch wasn't asked AFAIK.