'Not appropriate,' envoy tells Britain's Boris over Kipling poem in Myanmar

rooster59

'Not appropriate,' envoy tells Britain's Boris over Kipling poem in Myanmar

640x640 (3).jpg

British Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson visits Shwedagon Pagoda in Yangon, Myanmar January 21, 2017. REUTERS/Soe Zeya Tun/Files

LONDON (Reuters) - Britain's ambassador to Myanmar was forced to interrupt Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson earlier this year as he tried to recite a nostalgic colonial poem by Rudyard Kipling in public during a visit to the country's most famous Buddhist site.

Johnson, who helped lead the Leave campaign in the 2016 Brexit referendum, is caught on camera starting to recite Kipling's poem, Mandalay, after striking a bell at the Shwedagon pagoda in Yangon.

"The temple bells they say," Johnson says in television footage by Channel 4. "Come you back, you British soldier."

As Johnson continues with his recitation of the poem which celebrates a soldier’s love affair with a local woman during Britain's colonial rule of what was then known as Burma, the ambassador tenses.

"You’re on mic. Probably not a good idea," British ambassador Andrew Patrick said.

"What, The Road to Mandalay?" Johnson asked.

"No. Not appropriate," the ambassador said.

Johnson replied "good stuff" and then started to take photographs of the scene with his telephone camera.

A spokeswoman for the Foreign Office declined to comment.

Prime Minister Theresa May’s appointment of Johnson, who in the run-up to Britain’s referendum on EU membership compared the goals of the European Union to those of Adolf Hitler and Napoleon, caused consternation in European capitals.

In recent weeks, Johnson has attempted to set out his vision of Britain outside the European Union.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-10-01

i dare say part of the poem describes many a' expat in Asia

I am sick o' wastin' leather on these gritty pavin' stones,
An' the blasted Henglish drizzle wakes the fever in my bones;
Tho' I walks with fifty 'ousemaids outer Chelsea to the Strand,
An' they talks a lot o' lovin', but wot do they understand?

Beefy face an' grubby 'and—
Law! wot do they understand?
I've a neater, sweeter maiden in a cleaner, greener land!
On the road to Mandalay, etc.

Ship me somewheres east of Suez, where the best is like the worst,
Where there aren't no Ten Commandments an' a man can raise a thirst;
For the temple-bells are callin', and it's there that I would be—
By the old Moulmein Pagoda, looking lazy at the sea.

The full poem here

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Departmental_Ditties_and_Ballads_and_Barrack-Room_Ballads/Mandalay

Edited by taichiplanet

17 minutes ago, taichiplanet said:

i dare say part of the poem describes many a' expat in Asia

Indeed, Kipling had "Asian Fever" himself:

"I love the Burman with the blind favouritism born of first impression. When I die I will be a Burman … and I will always walk about with a pretty almond-coloured girl ... ."

And apart from its obvious  colonial connotations there's also this:

"n' a-wastin' Christian kisses on an 'eathen idol's foot:
Bloomin' idol made o'mud --
Wot they called the Great Gawd Budd --"

I'm sure that would go down well in Buddhist Myanmar.

Edited by nausea
Grammar

44 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

What a clown that bloke is. Worryingly likely to be the new Tory leader and Prime Minister. 

I don't buy the simple minded clown explanation of Boris Johnson.It's interesting to see over the last few months the sustained campaign in the UK media against Johnson.It gets me thinking that something about the man alarms the leftish commentariat, probably that he is an astonishingly successful retail politician - even though his star power is waning fast.

There will always be a chippiness among some that he received a privileged education - as though going to the world's leading school and leading university was a disqualification of some sort.He is clearly a highly intelligent man and a genuinely amusing one too.

Yet he hasn't much of a chance - too slaspdash, a philanderer,not enough friends in the House of Commons, too self centred etc.But I think it's a pity there are so few characters in politics.

Turning to the Kipling poem, I can't think of any other politician who would know how to quote it.

And I can't make head or tail of the geography in:

"An' the dawn comes up like thunder outer China 'crost the Bay!"

3 hours ago, jayboy said:

I don't buy the simple minded clown explanation of Boris Johnson.It's interesting to see over the last few months the sustained campaign in the UK media against Johnson.It gets me thinking that something about the man alarms the leftish commentariat, probably that he is an astonishingly successful retail politician - even though his star power is waning fast.

There will always be a chippiness among some that he received a privileged education - as though going to the world's leading school and leading university was a disqualification of some sort.He is clearly a highly intelligent man and a genuinely amusing one too.

Yet he hasn't much of a chance - too slaspdash, a philanderer,not enough friends in the House of Commons, too self centred etc.But I think it's a pity there are so few characters in politics.

Turning to the Kipling poem, I can't think of any other politician who would know how to quote it.

Methinks there is legitimate geography underlying his poetic license, Try Google Maps. I could really get into Kipling if I weren't busy getting into trouble already.

Edited by MaxYakov

A great education does not guarantee common sense nor diplomatic skills but it's a good starting point. His book on Churchill is excellent but he is unsuited to a government post.  

One of some Tory failures within the last time: Johnson, the chief diplomat, has to be stopped by a "normal" diplomat. Congratulation to the British diplomat in Myanmar for his courage against his boss - and shame on Mr. Flibbertigibbet.

Madame May, you are second behind Trump for choosing "excellent" ministers. Maybe you are replaced by Mr. "Moggmoment" (Jacob Rees-Mogg), a man from the 18th century.

Edited by puck2

Thanks for pointing out the geographical anomaly. I never thought of that. Still, in its own weird way, it's a great piece of poetry (doggerel). Politically, Kipling was quite clueless, but he was a genius of a  writer. 

The poem was of its time.

David Davis is looking a more viable contender for Tory leader. Working class upbringing and a very succesful businessman. He can relate to ordinary people and their daily struggles more than priveleged ex public schoolboys.

30 minutes ago, champers said:

David Davis is looking a more viable contender for Tory leader. Working class upbringing and a very succesful businessman. He can relate to ordinary people and their daily struggles more than priveleged ex public schoolboys.

Is he the best they've got?

God preserve us...

1 hour ago, Grouse said:

Is he the best they've got?

God preserve us...

Well the rest of them (along with the Liberals and Labour) probably think that Kipling is the chap who makes exceedingly good cakes...

2 hours ago, puck2 said:

One of some Tory failures within the last time: Johnson, the chief diplomat, has to be stopped by a "normal" diplomat. Congratulation to the British diplomat in Myanmar for his courage against his boss

<snip>

Well said, had total respect for the British Ambo in Myanmar for discreetly telling Boris off for that 
Boris:  "No Kipling??"
Ambo: "Not Appropriate"

3 hours ago, puck2 said:

One of some Tory failures within the last time: Johnson, the chief diplomat, has to be stopped by a "normal" diplomat. Congratulation to the British diplomat in Myanmar for his courage against his boss - and shame on Mr. Flibbertigibbet.

Madame May, you are second behind Trump for choosing "excellent" ministers. Maybe you are replaced by Mr. "Moggmoment" (Jacob Rees-Mogg), a man from the 18th century.

Yes 18th century at the latest! Whatever your political views the idea of Jacob Sleaze-Toff as PM should surely be unacceptable,  even with our record of dismal choices.

3 hours ago, champers said:

I quite agree.Who wants privileged ex public schoolboys like Clement Attlee and Winston Churchill?

30 minutes ago, Nigel Garvie said:

Yes 18th century at the latest! Whatever your political views the idea of Jacob Sleaze-Toff as PM should surely be unacceptable,  even with our record of dismal choices.

Lets examine this a little.Rees Mogg has made it clear he's not in the running for the leadership despite the silly season gossip.He is a Roman Catholic who takes his religion seriously.He does not expect others to be bound by his beliefs which would not in fact have been unusual in the relatively recent past.He is certainly on the right wing of his party but since when was that a crime? He is scrupulously polite to his opponents (as is Jeremy Corbyn) and has made friends with many MPs on all sides.He is said to be a wonderful constituency MP working as hard for those who opposed him as those who supported him.He refuses to engage in deception and what you see is what you get.I wouldn't vote for him but I certainly think he is a very useful member of the Commons.

As I have often noted what provokes the chippy lower middle class more than anything else is the sight of a toff.They simply can't stand an old fashioned gent hence the use of insults like Jacob Sleaze-Toff etc.

4 hours ago, champers said:

A bit like 'Rule Britannia'. Great in it's time, but no longer relevant.