Rising Islamophobia In Thailand Irrational And Dangerous: Scholars

webfact

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes stop the Muslims from coming to the USA,they are evil and they all are terrorists out to kill you.

What?Someone just shot and killed 50 people and wounded another 200 in Vegas?

People should have more guns to be able to shoot the shooter.!!!!!

Ignore the lines above,not my way of thinking but does that sound familiar?

Where i live in Thailand person who sells pork at the market is next to the (Muslim)

person who sells beef.The dogs there lick blood that drips from either table.

Nobody wants to kill eachother,hatred is learned you are not born with it.

I do agree that extremist are a real danger in society but i know some Christian extremists who are also very dangerous.

3 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Yearning to come off intuitive and intellectual comes back top be sounding like a Know it all. Yuck! We are all entitled to our feelings and opinions. 

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
Edited by Bluespunk

I'm seeing a rise in Buddhistphobia by that segment of the progressive media and 'scholarly pundits' that insist that most Buddhists who voice concerns that the violence that occurs in the Southern provinces may follow newly established Islamic communities in the North where there has never been mosques before, and hence by voicing this fear they are labelled 'Ultranationalist Buddhist Islamophobia' adherents.  There has been a push in the media to assign demeaning and derogatory labels to Buddhist who may rightly have an issue with the violence that often follows in the footsteps of the more extremist sects of Wahabi/Salafi based Islam which itself follows a doctrine of religious intolerance.  There are numerous sects of Islam that coexist with other religions and non-secular members of Thai communities. Chiang Mai is an example of Buddhist and Muslims living side-by-side in peace.  But applying pejorative labels to Buddhists who have a legitimate fear of the more extremist sects of Islam, sects whose members are killing Buddhists in the Southern provinces and committing terrorist acts and bombings in the name of their religious beliefs, is in fact engaging in Buddhistphobia that is no less wrong than than engaging in a generalized fear of Islam or any other religion.  The authorities need to vet the applications for mosques and run background checks to weed out the radical elements of any religion, sects, or cults which may attempt to settle in predominantly Buddhist areas of Thailand.  The people who have lived there over the course of time and generations have a legitimate right to voice their concerns and to reject the potential of violence in any form from entering their communities.  

Edited by connda

29 minutes ago, wolf81 said:

I am not in favour of killing anyone. But I would approve of plans that stimulate Muslims to return back to the Middle-East while at the same time closing the borders for more Muslim immigration. Perhaps by paying some money if they emigrate out of Europe.

I would also favour policies like forcing Imams to preach in the native language in mosques. This would make it easier for security agencies to make sure that whatever is preached in mosques is not against a countries' laws. Books sold in a mosque should also be in the native language or English. 

I'm fine with the Middle-East being a mess. I am not fine with Europe becoming a mess as well, but I feel for Europe it's too late already. 

That's outrageous. Thai Muslims are not from the Middle East! 

9 minutes ago, wolf81 said:

In my opinion this is nonsense.

One cannot be tolerant towards the intolerant, if you want to live in a tolerant society. And few -if any- religions are as intolerant as Islam. 

And even an intolerant minority can be quite dangerous if this intolerant minority exceeds a certain threshold, as Nassim Nicholas Taleb explains quite clearly in his paper on the "Minority Rule". 

Let's not forget that many Middle-Eastern countries were at one time Christian majority countries. But due to the intolerance of Islam became Muslim majority countries. The same might very well happen to Europe in the future.

Again the situation is different when a nation has a majority of a religion vs. a minority. In Thailand Muslims are a minority and no chance of becoming a majority any more than white European Christians becoming a majority here. 

18 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Please watch your LASHING out. It is unbecoming and against the rules. 

Who’s lashing out. 

I find that that quote quite insightful.

And apt. 

Maybe you’ll like this one more

“You must remember, the so-called Jihadis who are in reality, mentally unstable individuals run by Quranic fundamentalists, do not represent the whole Muslim population of the world.”

Edited by Bluespunk

30 minutes ago, wolf81 said:

In my opinion this is nonsense.

One cannot be tolerant towards the intolerant, if you want to live in a tolerant society. And few -if any- religions are as intolerant as Islam. 

And even an intolerant minority can be quite dangerous if this intolerant minority exceeds a certain threshold, as Nassim Nicholas Taleb explains quite clearly in his paper on the "Minority Rule". 

Let's not forget that many Middle-Eastern countries were at one time Christian majority countries. But due to the intolerance of Islam became Muslim majority countries. The same might very well happen to Europe in the future.

Nope. 

Judging all on the actions of fanatics is prejudicial. 

Indonesia , Malaysia were Buddhist countries , now they are predominantly  muslim  . Islam is now spreading more and more in Thailand from the south going north. That is their MO , spread to new territories and multiply. Laos and Cambodia next ? At least Myanmar knows what to do.

Islamophobia is yet a another instance of religious racism which is encouraged by government policy that is discriminatory, poor education and fear - those pointing fingers at muslims need to be reminded that next year people could be pointing their fingers at you

A history lessons about the rise of fascism in Germany in the thirties should be compulsory for those up in arms about a mosque being built

3 minutes ago, BuaBS said:

Indonesia , Malaysia were Buddhist countries , now they are predominantly  muslim  . Islam is now spreading more and more in Thailand from the south going north. That is their MO , spread to new territories and multiply. Laos and Cambodia next ? At least Myanmar knows what to do.

Are you justifying genocide?

Islamophobia.  Fear of Muslims?   Gee.  I wonder why.   I mean how could that be!!   Such a peaceful and tolerant religion.  And they get on so well with other religions.  And meshing so smoothly with other cultures and other traditions. systems of law, values, etc.   Never descending upon an established culture to demand social change to suit themselves.  Never infringing upon anyone's personal liberties or most cherished freedoms.  Never using their own institutions of education or religious indoctrination to preach hate and incite violence.   Why, all around the globe.   It's such a profound mystery.  Really.   So odd. 

I have no problem with them spreading through out Thailand but then they must allow all religions freedom in the deep south. They should allow the people they drove out from villages to return and allow freedom of religion. This however is not possible and thus we face a one side situation where they want freedoms they deny others. For those Islam lovers on here do your research what happened in the deep south to non muslim villagers.

3 minutes ago, JGV said:

Islamophobia is yet a another instance of religious racism which is encouraged by government policy that is discriminatory, poor education and fear - those pointing fingers at muslims need to be reminded that next year people could be pointing their fingers at you

A history lessons about the rise of fascism in Germany in the thirties should be compulsory for those up in arms about a mosque being built

Not to mention all the crimes committed , for centuries, in the name of Christ... But hypocrites always put the blame on others.

6 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

The rise is not only in Thailand but also around the world and with good cause.

On a local level I hear the mosques seem to be calling prayer a lot louder than before. Just annoying people.

Internationally well the UK, France, Belgium, Canada just a few places to mention have a justifiable cause to start hating Islam. juts see the TV on a weekly basis and the acts of terror in the name of Islam will see why people are detesting it.

More US supported terrorism. Is this Prayut's US warning? Buy our junk not Chinese stuff, or we'll blow you up., Like Erawan Shrine  after he sent Uyghur gangsters back to China , not NATO poodle Turkey. Thais are smarter and tougher than US punks.  Interesting to watch Prayut punk Trump, but he enjoys bending over for his masters, so no big win..

3 hours ago, xerostar said:

Listen all you apologists for Islam, it's time to forget political correctness call a spade a spade ..

The following talk may be about Britain and Canada but the message is a warning to the whole civilized world including Thailand .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sH_0ijkkxbs&feature=youtu.be

These videos best support your rant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydPZRoLzu-E

6 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Well, I know some people will groan, but in my view it is religious majorities in various countries that are more of a risk than religious minorities.

So it is more than OK to condemn oppression of non-Muslims in Saudi Arabia (or even Muslim oppression of other Muslims), genocide of Muslim Rohingya in mostly Buddhist Myanmar,  extremist Christian motivated right wing terrorism in the USA, the occupation of the west bank by the Jewish state of Israel, etc. 

But Muslims when they are a minority really do get an unfair bad rap. 

Moving against them too harshly only fuels more of them to get involved with radical violent dogmas.

It doesn't have to be that way in Thailand.

I suggest the Thai government get involved in an early educational requirement to teach peaceful coexistence and tolerance of different religions and races to very young children. That's a good start anyway. 

From what I have seen, there is no "peaceful existence" with Islam.  Islam brings trouble everywhere it goes.  If not right away it will eventually.  Its "mission" is submission to it.

22 minutes ago, JGV said:

One can argue all day long about xenophobia, racism, &c. but all that is needed is to look at the past and see how Islam has spread and the methods it has used to accomplish.  Fourteen hundred years of gradual and successful conquest cannot be denied.

8 minutes ago, billmichael said:

One can argue all day long about xenophobia, racism, &c. but all that is needed is to look at the past and see how Islam has spread and the methods it has used to accomplish.  Fourteen hundred years of gradual and successful conquest cannot be denied.

Yeah, they should just opt for genocide as the catholic faith did in south and Central America.

Or as was done in Australia. 

Much quicker, eh...

(sarcasm alert)

Edited by Bluespunk