Rising Islamophobia In Thailand Irrational And Dangerous: Scholars

webfact

15 minutes ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

All Islamic countries already have this program .... it's called indoctrination 

I was talking about THAILAND, dude. The actual topic HERE.

Thailand is not an Islamic nation. It's a massively Buddhist nation with a Muslim minority.

There is no reason that they couldn't have a required educational program for ALL. 

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

That’s not my point at all. 

I’m saying you can find good and bad and downright genocidal in many “holy” books.

But the trouble is, too many followers of Islam still follow their holy book to the letter. This is my point. 

This is what organisations such as Quilliam are trying to change.

3 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

But the trouble is, too many followers of Islam still follow their holy book to the letter. This is my point. 

This is what organisations such as Quilliam are trying to change.

The majority of Muslims are just getting on with the tedium of everyday life in the west.

Do not judge them on the actions of bigots.

In other regions [parts of the middle east, Burma] they are trying to escape the horrors of civil war and genocidal persecution.

These are people suffering because of the actions of fundamentalist bigots.

Do you judge them as you judge the fanatics?

Judging a faith and it's followers on the actions of bigots is wrong.

1 hour ago, nchuckle said:

Richard Dawkins, who wrote the God delusion ,effectively says all religion is nonsense and is emeritus professor of biology at Oxford  . So I guess you're saying he can't understand anything? Yes I have read the book.

"To the contrary, atheist Darwinismas per Richard Dawkins of Oxford—explains man’s evolution as nothing more than the accidental result of a ‘natural selection’ in consequence of an extremely lucky concurrence of the six universal constants that made [make] life on earth possible when pre-primordial slime fortuitously fashioned a rather accidental blob of extremely complex amino acids into the exquisitely multifaceted DNA molecule, and, by accident, just happened to have enough of them in the same puddle for a fortunate critical mass of immensely coincidental bumpings-together that ginormously increased the probability of multiple chances transpiring for sufficient good fortune over the 1.3 billion years plus it took to eventually give me enough cerebral pudding to write about him for no real purpose other than the chance competition that might qualify one of us as ‘the fittest’."    - Hand of Iblis, p. 47

45 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Thailand is not an Islamic nation. It's a massively Buddhist nation with a Muslim minority.

There is no reason that they couldn't have a required educational program for ALL. 

give it time jingthing give it time,

who would of thought that london would have a muslim mayor,?

they breed faster then most and will have the power of the vote, hence a muslim mayor of englands capital city,

just give it time,

1 hour ago, Bluespunk said:

The majority of Muslims are just getting on with the tedium of everyday life in the west.

You should take a walk down some of the high streets in the UK (Luton, Walthamstow, Rotherham).  They are not scenes of life in the west. They are not scenes of cultural integration.

In other regions [parts of the middle east, Burma] they are trying to escape the horrors of civil war and genocidal persecution.

The middle east, a region of perpetual war and violence, mostly around religion.  And we all know what religion that is.

As far as Myanmar is concerned, I believe there is another side to this story not being reported by the PC media. That is the violence and trouble caused by the group in question, and the fact they settled illegally in the first place.  I'd like to hear more about that side of the story before making judgement. 

Edited by CG1 Blue

2 hours ago, Get Real said:

Nope, I only state my opinion and standing in the matter. I guess he and you stated the same.
Religion is about belief, so I guess you and the dear professor is taking the easy way out instead of understanding and accepting.
I guess he sold a lot of hes book, so it might also have a commerial and economical purpose for him.

Religion is about belief without evidence,or even evidence to the contrary,hence the definition faith. Understanding that is quite easy as are the reasons it exists which he explains in some detail. Understanding why something is incorrect doesn't confer a need to accept and agree with its tenets,quite the opposite in fact. 

I guess religion has peddled a lot of its books and certainly make a lot of money out of the whole sorry sham.....if you want to go down that route.

1 hour ago, OmarZaid said:

"To the contrary, atheist Darwinismas per Richard Dawkins of Oxford—explains man’s evolution as nothing more than the accidental result of a ‘natural selection’ in consequence of an extremely lucky concurrence of the six universal constants that made [make] life on earth possible when pre-primordial slime fortuitously fashioned a rather accidental blob of extremely complex amino acids into the exquisitely multifaceted DNA molecule, and, by accident, just happened to have enough of them in the same puddle for a fortunate critical mass of immensely coincidental bumpings-together that ginormously increased the probability of multiple chances transpiring for sufficient good fortune over the 1.3 billion years plus it took to eventually give me enough cerebral pudding to write about him for no real purpose other than the chance competition that might qualify one of us as ‘the fittest’."    - Hand of Iblis, p. 47

Many facets of evolution have been demonstrably proven scientifically and this quote you have dug up is little more than a sneering illustration of a lack of understanding of what can be achieved over time spans that we humans have difficulty putting into perspective vs our own tiny life spans . We also have scientific evidence of the existence of Amino acids and other things quoted in this article which is a significant improvement over "absolutely nothing " offered up by religion. By definition it only has faith (unsubstantiated belief). 

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Yes, I am sorry, I did not read your original comment. It is a mistake that I have seen happen on this forum before, so I should have known better, please accept my apologies. 

However, regarding Thailand, I understand that it is demographically, about 93% Buddhist. The Muslim population is about 4.9%, but increasing exponentially, as it does everywhere that men have multiple wives; but every child in Thailand has access to free education regardless of religious affiliation, so I’m not sure quite what your point is  

20 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

Religion is about belief without evidence,or even evidence to the contrary,hence the definition faith. Understanding that is quite easy as are the reasons it exists which he explains in some detail. Understanding why something is incorrect doesn't confer a need to accept and agree with its tenets,quite the opposite in fact. 

I guess religion has peddled a lot of its books and certainly make a lot of money out of the whole sorry sham.....if you want to go down that route.

And the reason in that book is regarding to you to be considered as evidence of your standing grounds, but the book of beliefs is that same to the people that chooses them. Where is any evidence. End of that story I hope. Cheers!

31 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

You should take a walk down some of the high streets in the UK (Luton, Walthamstow, Rotherham).  They are not scenes of life in the west. They are not scenes of cultural integration.

The middle east, a region of perpetual war and violence, mostly around religion.  And we all know what religion that is.

As far as Myanmar is concerned, I believe there is another side to this story not being reported by the PC media. That is the violence and trouble caused by the group in question, and the fact they settled illegally in the first place.  I'd like to hear more about that side of the story before making judgement. 

Lived in Luton for three years.  Never had a problem.

Lived in middle east Kuwait and Saudi, not the best for nightlife, but wasn't the hell you paint it to be.

As for your defence of genocide, for shame.

2 hours ago, OmarZaid said:

Can't remember who said it but I liked the statement that as soon as everyone on earth realises they are one small part of the greatest disease that has ever infected this pristine planet things will start to improve.

On 02/10/2017 at 5:03 PM, Jingthing said:

Look.

Get real.

Islam exists.

Muslim people exist.

Immigration of Muslims is a big issue in some nations.

Not Thailand.

Basically, if you feel Islamophobic (forgetting the immigration issue for a moment) the choices are oppression, genocide, or sincere attempts at peaceful coexistence. 

Which one of those choices does refusing to let them establish places of worship come under?  Just as the longest journey begins with a single step, an invasion begins with the first person on the land to be invaded.  That is what has happened in numerous countries with Muslims and then the numbers build until they can elect their own people into parliament (see UK) How long before they have a majority and make laws to suit themselves?

Sigh!  (To save you the trouble Blue spunk!)

Lived in Luton for three years.  Never had a problem.

Lived in middle east Kuwait and Saudi, not the best for nightlife, but wasn't the hell you paint it to be.

As for your defence of genocide, for shame.

I think you know I'm not talking about Saudi, Kuwait and Dubai etc. Can you tell me a single year in your lifetime when there was not a war going on somewhere in the ME?

As for Luton I don't know when you lived there, but have you watched the documentary with Stacey Dooley? Take a look on youtube.

I would never endorse genocide.  It's hard to find unbiased reporting on Myanmar, but I have read about a group of people illegally occupying an area for years, finally being forced to move out. I have read that aside from illegally occupying that area those people caused a lot of trouble, including extreme violence. From the main stream media it would appear a lot of unnecessary force was used to expel those people, but I also heard they would not leave by peaceful means. Is this about right?

Islamophobia is now generally accepted as a word; however, for myself and many people that I have discussed this with, it remains a complete misnomer. Prefixing phobia, with Islam, implies an irrational or abnormal fear of something, in this instance, Islam, which is not at all the case with myself.

Do I fear Islam ? ……. absolutely

Is my fear irrational ? ….. absolutely not. 

My fear is based on logical rationale, a rationale that has been nurtured by countless attacks inflicted on innocent civilians throughout Europe in the name of Islam; from before the Charlie Hebbo slaughter, through the Paris Bataclan, the Nice truck carnage, the Berlin Christmas market, the Manchester concert atrocity, and far, far, too many more to mention, up to the appallingly violent butchering of 2 French women, cut down in the springtime of their young lives in Marseille on Sunday …… 2 young women that will never go home again, 2 broken families that will never be repaired ……. 

Islamophobia ….. it is indeed a misnomer, and says a lot more about anyone using it, than it does about whoever they are throwing it at, because Islam should be feared, and feared for very real and completely logical reasons.

54 minutes ago, AboutThaim said:

Are you referring specifically to religion?  Even if you are there are certain religions that should not be tolerated.

I am referring to intolerance and bigotry from the intolerant and bigoted.

Religious and non religious.

Including that of those who would deny someone the right to follow their faith.

33 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

I think you know I'm not talking about Saudi, Kuwait and Dubai etc. Can you tell me a single year in your lifetime when there was not a war going on somewhere in the ME?

As for Luton I don't know when you lived there, but have you watched the documentary with Stacey Dooley? Take a look on youtube.

I would never endorse genocide.  It's hard to find unbiased reporting on Myanmar, but I have read about a group of people illegally occupying an area for years, finally being forced to move out. I have read that aside from illegally occupying that area those people caused a lot of trouble, including extreme violence. From the main stream media it would appear a lot of unnecessary force was used to expel those people, but I also heard they would not leave by peaceful means. Is this about right?

The first recorded mention of the rohingya I know of, is around the time of the French Revolution. So no, that is not right.

I lived in Luton, don't need to watch documentaries on it.

The middle east was relatively peaceful when I lived in Kuwait [certainly more peaceful that the Serbian led atrocities that were taking place in the Balkans}.

Then Iraq was invaded...never been the same since.

Edited by Bluespunk

14 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

The middle east was relatively peaceful when I lived in Kuwait.

Then Iraq was invaded...never been the same since.

You were either very lucky, or you choose to turn a blind eye.  Here's your relative peace:

Lebanese civil war 1975-1990

Kurdish-Turkish Conflict 1978-present

Iranian Revolution 1979-80

Islamist Uprising in Syria 1979-1982

South Yemen Civil War 1986

Iraq invades Kuwait (Gulf War) 1991

Yemen Civil War 1994

Those are just the more high profile conflicts.

Just a matter of time and they will be getting Uighers from China.......could be what they are afraid of.  I believe in live and let live but are Thai Muslims common that far north??  Don't know enough about it.

3 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

You were either very lucky, or you choose to turn a blind eye.  Here's your relative peace:

Lebanese civil war 1975-1990

Kurdish-Turkish Conflict 1978-present

Iranian Revolution 1979-80

Islamist Uprising in Syria 1979-1982

South Yemen Civil War 1986

Iraq invades Kuwait (Gulf War) 1991

Yemen Civil War 1994

Those are just the more high profile conflicts.

I didn't turn a blind eye, just pointing out that it was relatively quiet when I was there, post 1995 and pre invasion of Iraq...

A time when similar conflicts not in the middle east could be added to your list.

As for Kuwait in 1991, I know all about that from my brother who helped free Kuwait [a Muslim country by the way}

OK

Edited by Bluespunk

8 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

I didn't turn a blind eye, just pointing out that it was relatively quiet when I was there, post 1995 and pre invasion of Iraq...

As for Kuwait in 1991, I know all about that from my brother who helped free Kuwait [a Muslim country by the way}

OK

I'm not sure what the relevance is re Kuwait being a Muslim country.

But anyway, huge respect to your brother.

Just now, CG1 Blue said:

I'm not sure what the relevance is re Kuwait being a Muslim country.

But anyway, huge respect to your brother.

The relevance is that it was nothing to do with faith, imposition of faith or an attempt to eradicate faith, but was a conflict based, as so many are, in greed, politics and unrestrained dictators.

10 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

The relevance is that it was nothing to do with faith, imposition of faith or an attempt to eradicate faith, but was a conflict based, as so many are, in greed, politics and unrestrained dictators.

Between two Muslim nations, in the Middle East, right?

Edited by CG1 Blue