Shirtless Farangs

Pilotman

The  Aussies are very bad at this. to me while a sleeveless or no shirt policy works at the beach or around the BBQ 

they just do not seem to have the mentality to understand that we are not attracted to dirty smelly under armpit hair

Never worn sleeveless T shirt in my life & I lived in OZ for 14 years

23 minutes ago, connda said:

I think the more important question is: "Why do you care so much what other people do, no less care about how they choose to dress?"  or "Why are so many Westerners obsessed with these puritanical values regarding dress?"  
And I don't want to hear that it's Thai culture values.  Up until the 1940s standard Thai dress was shirtless for men and women.  My wife's mother went shirtless up into the 1960 until the government put their foot down regarding a dress code that was forced on the populace in the 1940s.  And I routinely see Thai men without shirts on both in the city and in rural areas.  The general public really don't care.  So it's not Thai culture; it's Western puritanicalism.  

Around a beach area in the tropics -- seriously?  :tongue:  "But they're not on the beach!"  But they are in a beach town and to me, that's close enough.  Have you every been to a resort town in Mexico?  This is what people on vacation do.  Take their shirts off and let their hair down.  
The folks who consistently get bent out of shape about this really need to find a  hobby other than getting outraged about other folks choice of dress while they are on vacation or out simply having a relaxing time.
Like the the shirtless vacationers - it's best to chill.  

When I first came to Thailand in 1979 and into the 1980"s it was an offence for a male to appear in public without a shirt. Most of the thai men pulled their t shirts up to just below their chest if they wanted to cool down. On one occasion my friend and I were riding motorcycles. He decided to take his shirt off. I warned him but he said bs. It was not long until the police pulled him over and ordered him to put his t shirt back on. I will never forget the look on his face.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, natway09 said:

The  Aussies are very bad at this. to me while a sleeveless or no shirt policy works at the beach or around the BBQ 

they just do not seem to have the mentality to understand that we are not attracted to dirty smelly under armpit hair

Never worn sleeveless T shirt in my life & I lived in OZ for 14 years

So you don't like Aussy folk but you inspect arm pits....Hmmmmm.:sad:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rc2702 said:

Err no flip flops do not make the sound the wearer does by scraping their foot as opposed to lifting it when walking. I wear flip flops too as do a lot of people who do not scrape their foot. It's pure laziness.

Regardless, is that really one of the most annoying things you can think of that spoil your day?

Lots of bad habits from Thai drivers get my back up, but there again, that is off topic as is flip flops - it's about shirtless farangs, which I also happen to think is rude when out shopping etc.  

Edited by sambum
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Jonnapat said:

In my humble opinion your dress sense is nonsense. In all hot climates it is 100% normal for people to walk out in shorts and T shirts and I'm not talking beachwear.

Why be uncomfortable in temperatures that are normally always in the 90's

Because my reputation in the community where I live and work is a little more important to me than a minor increase in comfort.  Like it or not, people judge us on what we wear.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, impulse said:

Because my reputation on the community where I live and work is a little more important to me than a minor increase in comfort.  Like it or not, people judge us on what we wear.

You wear a wig...?classic-guitar-smiley-emoticon.gif.969f7d9d695b0210d8d760ef43422c78.gif

• Like 1

Just now, transam said:

You wear a wig...?

Flat cap.  Can't go out in the sun without something protecting what's left of the skin on my bald head...  And every year or so, I head over to the dermatologist to have some spots frozen off the top.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, madusa said:

Well, you guys complain too much. Go to some of the islands in the south seas, you see lots of people walking around with no shirts on, nothing wrong with that. Just keeping cool. Do I have to wear a shirt to please you? Is that an unspoken law that I am not aware of?

Better still go to Papou nouvelle guinee you see a lot of men wearing gentleman outfitting made from a plant gourd(penis shealth) . I think they look cool. You could judge the size of the manhood so if a guy talks big you could remind him of his manhood size. 

This guy in the picture is doing the right thing, chill out in a air-condition supermarket. Enjoy your shopping!

"chill out in a air-condition supermarket" So where's the need to be shirtless unless the a/c is not working! 

• Like 2

Just now, sambum said:

Regardless, is that really one of the most annoying things you can think of that spoil your day?

Lots of bad habits from Thai drivers get my back up, but there again, that is off topic as is flip flops - it's about shirtless farangs, which I also happen to think is rude when out shopping etc.  

I never suggested it spoils the day I just think that lazy approach to something as simple as walking says a lot about a person.  The inconsiderate childish scrape on an adult is similar to the lady I came across today who Parked her car in the middle of road diverting oncoming traffic to the wrong side of rd, to save her from 3-4 extra footsteps of work to order some food from a stall. Consideration; I think that's the underlying topic.

2 hours ago, transam said:

How wrong you would be, but as I don't care about folk seeing my ol' ugly mug this is me about a year back heading for 70.....:smile:.......Assumptions can be dangerous....:whistling:

59d4968e0867d_meandfarsai.jpg.69547f903d6f42c2b1bb76f2e73fe7b1.jpg

Do you let katoeys suck those nipples? Ho, ho, you naughty man.

Just now, transam said:

How wrong you would be, but as I don't care about folk seeing my ol' ugly mug this is me about a year back heading for 70.....:smile:.......Assumptions can be dangerous....:whistling:

59d4968e0867d_meandfarsai.jpg.69547f903d6f42c2b1bb76f2e73fe7b1.jpg

Dude!  What are you doing with my body?  I've been looking for that for the last five years.  Lol

Btw, nice to see that we older guys can still stay buffed, although I got monkey-hammered after coming down with dengue 6 years back.  Still do resistance training but have never recovered the lean muscle I use to have.  But that's fine.  The wife likes the love handles!  And somewhere underneath the adipose tissue are shredded abs!   :biggrin:  So thumbs up.  You obvious put time and energy into your gym workouts and your diet.  I can appreciate that.  Feel free to hang out shirtless. No problem here.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jewell49 said:

could not agree more, do they think it is a good look, well it is not they look ridiculous

Don't you get it? Because it's hot and they wanna get a tint...they are here for 14 days or so.

And what does look good on the Thai streets?? When i drive through the boom of the moobaan it all looks crappy.

Yes, the shirtless ones all look like they are 8 1/2 months pregnant with quintuplets.  And, they usually smell bad, too.  Please, spare us!  My eyes!  My eyes!  Put a shirt on--and some deodorant, while you are at it.  Have some pride in your appearance.  I doubt you would go out looking like you do in your native country.  Maybe some will see themselves in this thread and get a clue--but I doubt it. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

I never suggested it spoils the day I just think that lazy approach to something as simple as walking says a lot about a person.  The inconsiderate childish scrape on an adult is similar to the lady I came across today who Parked her car in the middle of road diverting oncoming traffic to the wrong side of rd, to save her from 3-4 extra footsteps of work to order some food from a stall. Consideration; I think that's the underlying topic.

Agree with you re the consideration bit and the lady in question, because that shows arrogance, but complaining about the way people walk - really? 

Just now, sambum said:

"chill out in a air-condition supermarket" So where's the need to be shirtless unless the a/c is not working! 

Holy moly.  In virtually any bank in the LOS, I'm not comfortable unless I have a sweatshirt on over the other clothes I'm wearing.  Only Wim Hof would go shirtless in a Thai bank!  :biggrin:

Perhaps the shirtless chaps should patronize european nudist colonies and refrain from Thailand ?

Considering the price and the fine service of Thai laundry one could doubt that it is just to save a shirt from the regular wash, that makes them go topless....

28 minutes ago, madusa said:

Hey, he looks cool, I don't see any problem do you? I even like that little white towel on his head to cool his brain, otherwise his brain got fried while on holidays.

Ok.. so you wouldn't mind running into him in Tesco..

Just now, sambum said:

Agree with you re the consideration bit and the lady in question, because that shows arrogance, but complaining about the way people walk - really? 

Yh I think you do not understand my point. Dragging feet? Seems harder to drag your feet than it does to walk properly.

I don't think it's arrogant here, I think it's a complete lack of consideration for others.

Look I've explained to you my personal gripe I've seen it numerous times done by grown men who act like 12 year olds. So yes really it bugs me and I am not apologising for it. Really!

On 10/3/2017 at 8:23 AM, bert bloggs said:

On these forums many times i have read about guys not getting "respect" from Thais ,well i have never been disrespected ,overcharged ,asked for a bribe (well once by a cop in BKK) and my wife and i always seem to be treated with curtesy .

but then we both dress quite nicely and speak politely .

i reckon if you walk into Tesco in a pair of shorts with your belly hanging out and with a very young girl in a pair of shorts showing her bum cheeks ,its not only Thailand where you will be laughed at or be spoken about in derogatory  terms .:smile:

or in terms of jealousy!

Edited by tryasimight

On October 3, 2017 at 11:53 AM, maxpower said:

sexy.jpg.1e6d5d6dede1a41e25e9e54165a663e0.jpg

I did not give permission...what, wait...oh, that isn't me I wear shorter shorts... Like it or not, agree or not, I think what Dad taught me has some truth. You are judged by your appearance. I do think it depends to the environment. I just gave away my suits and all but 1 sport coat. Simply have little to no need for the dress shirts and ties I wore in teaching daily in the states. Hmmm, 5 pair of dress shoes also seem to be taking up room needlessly.

Edited by wwest5829
  • Like 2

On 10/3/2017 at 8:53 AM, impulse said:

In over 6 years, I've never left my BKK apartment complex without long pants, a collared shirt and socks.  And within the complex, the only time I'm missing one of those items is to swim in the pool.

Still, I object to characterizing any human being as "quality" or not, based on what they wear in the tropics on holiday.  While I'm appalled at the appearance of some of the nicest, most generous people I know, it's easy to separate the person from their quirks.

They may have different standards of dress than I do, but that doesn't make them less than me, or anyone else walking the planet. 

Don't bother with shoes then?  Sounds like Alzheimer's setting in.

• Like 1

On 10/3/2017 at 9:02 AM, Pilotman said:

Maybe we should be  challenging them and saying something ourselves.  But I guess all we would get is abuse, or worse. 

What exactly would you say?

I think your guess is 100% correct!

Edited by tryasimight