Driver nods off at wheel, kills mother and daughter

webfact

Driver nods off at wheel, kills mother and daughter

By The Nation

A woman and her 12-year-old daughter were killed in Nakhon Pathom on Tuesday morning when their motorcycle was struck by a pickup truck whose driver had dozed off.

Angkhana Moonmanee, 43, and daughter Tipkritta died in the 7.20am collision on Salaya-Bang Phasi Road in Tambon Klong Yong, Buddha Monthon district.

Pickup driver Phakkawat Nachairerm, 23, waited for police at the scene and admitted he had briefly nodded off behind the wheel. He was charged with reckless driving causing death.

The impact hurled the motorcycle and its riders into a second pickup parked at the roadside.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30328342

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-10-03

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

This person sounds either well connected and able to pay a bribe or has a plan to blame the dead people.

Why because he done the right thing and didn't flee the scene and was honest about what happened? He said he nodded off, how can he blame the deceased? 

Edited by Kadilo

2 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

This person sounds either well connected and able to pay a bribe or has a plan to blame the dead people.

And I thought Sherlock Holmes was long dead... what a turn-up you deduce from a tragic accident

The BiB might just employ you !!

1 hour ago, Happy Grumpy said:

Never take a child on a motorbike or scooter.

This is rather a simple rule, though a bit much for most Thais and a surprising amount of idiot Westerners here. 

Are you aware that not everybody can afford a car, and still have to take children to school etc ?

I agree about the idiot tourists who risk their children's life.

It's a pity that so many Thais are so good at living up to their reputation of being able to sleep anywhere, anytime. How many times do we read of them dropping off behind the wheel. A great indication of how seriously they are concentrating on their driving - not at all.

10 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

It's a pity that so many Thais are so good at living up to their reputation of being able to sleep anywhere, anytime. How many times do we read of them dropping off behind the wheel. A great indication of how seriously they are concentrating on their driving - not at all.

I've heard that no one in your country has ever fallen asleep at the wheel. I mean, the universe is 14 billion years old and yet not one instance of nodding off. Well done over there.

2 hours ago, smew said:

Yes, in Thailand the dead are always wrong, that's why they are deceased. Amazing the driver guy did not run he must've been really sleeping behind the wheel. RIP  

perhaps the next generation thai will evolve to comprehend moving vehicles

3 hours ago, Happy Grumpy said:

This is rather a simple rule, though a bit much for most Thais and a surprising amount of idiot Westerners here. 

Why don't you buy every family without a car a Fortuner?

4 hours ago, Happy Grumpy said:

Thats rather harsh considering for some a motorcycle is the only source of transport.

I have similar sentiments for my own family but feel it highly unfair to judge others who can't afford a car. 

10 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Thats rather harsh considering for some a motorcycle is the only source of transport.

I have similar sentiments for my own family but feel it highly unfair to judge others who can't afford a car. 

There is always other forms of transport.

A motorcycle is never one's 'only form of transport'.

Unless they choose it to be out of convenience or laziness. 

I agree about children on scooters.

Its only for the lazy and terminally stupid.

That that even needs to said to some farang in the World's number one country for road deaths is disturbing!

Edited by DLang

Why would I?

Do you think that cars and scooters are the only forms of transport?

Only to lazy idiots. :smile:

1. You like that word - idiot.

2. So buses and trains run every 30 minutes direct to the school gates in Nakon Nowhere do they?

I can only speak for my situation but where my partner lives in Issan there are no buses in the village to get her son to school. It would be about an hour to walk and there are no paths on the main roads so would be a bit dodgy given the way some drive. 

So given that I also worry a lot regarding the amount of scooters on the road I don't see an alternative for them as we don't own a car. 

2 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

2. So buses and trains run every 30 minutes direct to the school gates in Nakon Nowhere do they?

Never heard of a bicycle, have you? 

Never heard of Songteows, have you?

I completely agree that there is never a need to take your child on a scooter in Thailand. 

Edited by DLang

2 hours ago, Kadilo said:

So given that I also worry a lot regarding the amount of scooters on the road I don't see an alternative for them as we don't own a car. 

1) bicycle, with helmets and proper safety gear and seat.

2) Get some responsibility and buy a small car for your kid.

Will they be the next mother/child/scooter statistic? 

1 hour ago, DLang said:

1) bicycle, with helmets and proper safety gear and seat.

2) Get some responsibility and buy a small car for your kid.

Will they be the next mother/child/scooter statistic? 

1) Sorry, I would never ride a bicycle here. Scooter is much safer. 

2) Perhaps he cannot afford a car. Could you lend him the money as you are so concerned?

3) Songteows ...... really. Zero safety features.

1 hour ago, DLang said:

I completely agree that there is never a need to take your child on a scooter in Thailand. 

But so many millions do! If only they would listen to your advice everyone would have a safe and happy life. I'm sure you would have taken their social/economic situation into account before making a sweeping statement such as this.

6 hours ago, Happy Grumpy said:

There is always other forms of transport.

A motorcycle is never one's 'only form of transport'.

Unless they choose it to be out of convenience or laziness. 

They could be walking... would that have prevented them from being hit and killed by the 'sleeping driver' ?

They could have been on the back of a Songtaew - would that have prevented them from being hit and killed by the 'sleeping driver' ?

Your ideology is fundamentally flawed - Bicycles, Motorbikes and Walking pose various risks unless completely separated from 4 wheeled traffic...  but then we should all be in a Safe big car with a roll cage... how far do you have to take it ???

Life needs to be practical and convenient... and for some, there really are no alternatives unless you consider hitch-hiking an option. 

Of course no one made it to school in Thailand before scooters were invented! :laugh:

What a pitiful excuse for putting your child's life in such risk. :sad:

Thailand has the most dangerous roads in the World. And people take their children on to them on scooters! :laugh:

You gotta laugh at the level of:

1) stupidity.

or

2) laziness.

Of course no one made it to school in Thailand before scooters were invented! :laugh:

What a pitiful excuse for putting your child's life in such risk. :sad:

Thailand has the most dangerous roads in the World. And people take their children on to them on scooters! :laugh:

You gotta laugh at the level of:

1) stupidity.

or

2) laziness.

I for one would never permit my child to go on a Motorbike with anyone, I also don't ride a motorbike. My child will not go in a car unless secured in a car seat - these are my rules for my family which I can make readily and conveniently because we have a nice safe car. 

Additionally, in Bangkok there are Taxi's, Busses, Skytrain, GrabTaxi, UBER... numerous transport options if you prefer to avoid motorbikes. 

However, in 'other' areas there are simply no alternatives. It is those in this position for whom I feel more sympathy and I feel I am unable to judge from my Ivory Tower with a safe car. I certainly wouldn't call them Stupid or Lazy, however, I would go as far and suggest someone who does judge them without understanding them lazy or even stupid in their assumptions that we all have the same options.