A bucket of coins...

bobobo

Hi guys..I have a bucket of coins. Went to my bank in Pattaya tai. They did not have a machine.

They told me to go to 7/11 a get this paper condoms and do it myself. That's going to take me weeks !!!

Does anyone know where to go ??

Years ago I changed a lot of coins at the Government Savings Bank (the pink bank) in Sattahip where they had a coin sorting machine.

Just yesterday my granddaughter changed a few thousand Baht at the Government Savings Bank in Ban Ampur, where they have a machine.

The money was paid into accounts there. There was a small charge (I think 10B).

I don't know whether all GSB branches have sorting machines, or whether the service is only for account holders, but might be worth asking at your nearest branch.

23 hours ago, oldcarguy said:

Donate them to the orphanage ,  it will help the kids and give them something to do......

and save you the trouble........ :)

...with the added bonus that the OP will go to heaven.

Seriously though, that is a really ,really good suggestion.

On 10/4/2017 at 11:59 AM, bobobo said:

That's going to take me weeks !!!

Does anyone know where to go ??

Where to go? To get peace and quiet for weeks while you count the coins and stuff them in condoms?

Up to you really. What's your budget?

56 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

...with the added bonus that the OP will go to heaven.

Seriously though, that is a really ,really good suggestion.

Yes it is a  really good suggestion and heaven or not,  the OP would be doing  a vey  positive thing.     Pass it on..

Edited by watcharacters

On your next trip to immigration, pay the fees with coins :cheesy:

I'm sure they'll love that [emoji1]

Some banks do have counting machines keep trying until you find one
7/11, Family,Tesco,Big C will take some (handfull) if they are not busy.

Not very long ,I was preparing my leave from Los, I did have a few coins. 

Tried 3 7/11's and finally a bank along Jomtien Beach Road. 

I didn't have an account there........"Misterrrr, can not...go to 'seven' na"

After I explained that 'seven' wouldn't take them they accepted them.

"Only this time na, Misterrrr. Next time pay fee na"

My advise, go to a bigger bank (preferably where you have an account) and if they say: "No have machine, they're freakin' lying!!"

On 10/4/2017 at 1:02 AM, oldcarguy said:

Donate them to the orphanage ,  it will help the kids and give them something to do......

and save you the trouble........ :)

I had a big jar of coins....took them to local school and used it as a contest that the kid who guessed closest to amount got the entire jar full....they all guessed and then a team of four spent about an hour or more counting and recounting to determine the accurate amount and present to winner...lots of fun and smiles and laughs all around...brought me more joy plus a lifelong memory worth more than whatever i might have spent it on....

Edited by pomchop

6 hours ago, lonewolf99 said:

I suggest not keeping loose change in buckets....after you have about 200 baht in coins go in to any 7/11 or Family Mart and change them for notes.
They take up less room and are a lot lighter for carrying around.

Can also approach regular baht bus riders with that amount. But nothing less than one baht please. 

I have tried to cash 10 baht coins at Bangkok Bank and SCB. I have accounts at both.

BB would accept loose coins up to 1900 baht with no charge. I tried to deposit 11000 baht. They told me that they would charge 1% to count them. I then counted them my self and placed into 100 baht lots in separate bags. They still would only accept 1900 baht in bags or they would charge 1%.

SCB said they would accept any amount as long as they a in 100 bahts lots in bags.

Then again ...people that have little or no money, would never have this discussion, face to face or let alone on a social media site.................... 

buckets of loose change for crying out loud.

and it begs the question - what do Baht bus drivers do with their hundreds nay thousands of 10 baht coins?.....keep them in buckets ?

Edited by lonewolf99
add stuff

5 hours ago, lonewolf99 said:

Then again ...people that have little or no money, would never have this discussion, face to face or let alone on a social media site.................... 

buckets of loose change for crying out loud.

and it begs the question - what do Baht bus drivers do with their hundreds nay thousands of 10 baht coins?.....keep them in buckets ?

Good question about the baht bus drivers. I'm assuming they have some kind of organized arrangement with either the baht bus cooperative, a bank, or both. 

7 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Good question about the baht bus drivers. I'm assuming they have some kind of organized arrangement with either the baht bus cooperative, a bank, or both. 

Hi lonewolf

I understand what You mean..I also understand that You think that 5000- 6000 baht is nothing..loose change right ? I also understand that  You think that I used social media where to find a bank that could take care of the loose change. Which I did. I am sorry I upset You..take care..

8 minutes ago, bobobo said:

Hi lonewolf

I understand what You mean..I also understand that You think that 5000- 6000 baht is nothing..loose change right ? I also understand that  You think that I used social media where to find a bank that could take care of the loose change. Which I did. I am sorry I upset You..take care..

I ain't lonewolf dude. 

14 hours ago, mogandave said:

What is the point of saving a lot of change?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

It will be different for different people.

I have always liked to save any change that is in my pocket at the end of each day because I don't like to carry it around and I don't miss it, but It's nice to let it accumulate until it can buy something worthwhile.

I don't know exactly why, but I get a lot more pleasure spending money I have saved, rather than money I just withdraw from my pension.

Recently, I have been giving any 10 and 5 Baht coins to my granddaughter to save. I'm hoping it will teach her the value of saving - and it helps with her maths when we count it together. Just last week we counted over 7,000 Baht and put it into her savings account.

We keep all the Satang coins seperately and she puts them into the orphanage boxes. It's a very small act of charity - but she's only 5.

I suppose the point of saving coins is the same as any savings - accumulate now to spend later.