No alcohol sales for 9 days in Hua Hin??????

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know for sure that 13th and 26th will be no alcohol days, this has been confirmed by the police in Hua Hin.  Any other days would appear to be pure conjecture at this stage, but I would expect there to be more.  3 - 5 days around the funeral, is being bandied around.  When they do decide to tell us, they will probably do so by driving around with a megaphone, like they did yesterday, to warn the bars to shut today.

Edited by mikosan

4 hours ago, Wim1954 said:

So what is the problem here ? Wow the farangs having a problem they can't buy/ drink alcohol bc they don't want to pay respect for the Late King Bhumibol. Dombo's......

I think you miss the larger issue. For many of us, bars are our social clubs. There we meet friends, play pool, watch sports, practice our Thai, etc. Many of us don't drink. When sales are forbidden, the bars are shut. A one-day shutdown is no big deal, but it is an irritant. 

5 hours ago, Wim1954 said:

So what is the problem here ? Wow the farangs having a problem they can't buy/ drink alcohol bc they don't want to pay respect for the Late King Bhumibol. Dombo's......

It is not solely about respect. As a bar owner every day with a ban costs me at LEAST 10,000 Baht in lost revenue. I still have to pay rent, salaries, etc. so a five day ban is a hard hit for me and many others, especially in these times.

4 hours ago, funandsuninbangkok said:

Thanks for all the guessing and puritanical opinions but

anyone actually know anything?

We heard yesterday talk of a 4 day shutdown, from Thursday to Sunday at the end of the month, but no-one we spoke to in the police could verify anything, sorry.

5 hours ago, funandsuninbangkok said:

Thanks for all the guessing and puritanical opinions but

anyone actually know anything?

It's quiet possible for Hua Hin, it was the Kings favourite place and where he spent most of his 'rest times', and, only surmising, quite possibly where his ashes/bones will be,the bone thing for Thais,a year later, is quite important , sorry if it's guessing but that's where any 'extra' blocks would happen, if anywhere, out of respect for the deceased king.

Having spoken to a few Thais who live in Hua Hin and operate bars/ restaurants there's nothing but rumours going around at the moment and definitely no kind of official announcement has been made.

There are rumours of a possible 7 day alcohol ban but it's thought more likely that it will be 3 days, speculating on the 25th, 26th and 27th of October.

It's quite likely that the police will pull up on a motorcycle the day before the ban and hand out a piece of paper with instructions in Thai on it, this has happened before. It will tell you when to close.

Last night while out having a few beers I told a bunch of tourists about todays alcohol ban and of course they had no idea it was going to happen.

6 hours ago, Moti24 said:

I can't see it being a problem for expats, but tourists might be a bit pissed-off.  As long as the tourists spend their money on something else, TAT will be happy.

Tourist could check before they buy an airplane ticket what is going on in October in Thailand so if they didn't it's theyre one problem wow 9 days MAYBE no alcohol how to survive !!!!

5 hours ago, mikosan said:

I know for sure that 13th and 26th will be no alcohol days, this has been confirmed by the police in Hua Hin.  Any other days would appear to be pure conjecture at this stage, but I would expect there to be more.  3 - 5 days around the funeral, is being bandied around.  When they do decide to tell us, they will probably do so by driving around with a megaphone, like they did yesterday, to warn the bars to shut today.

Give your phonenumber they can call you.

I doubt that would be correct but one can never be sure.

This is the first time for a few years that the "anti alcohol lobby" has managed to get us closed today although there are a few bars in Bangkok who are open which makes a bit of a mockery of the rule.

(The BIB do well though).

Latest we have heard is midnight 25th to midnight 27th but time will tell.

Any longer will start affecting return tourism

Someone in authority will get around to making a decision soon ?

1. first why is drinking alcohol not showing respect to the king? this was not the king of foreigners and most of the foreigners never had a king or queen on their live and never missed it at all.

2. Tell the Thai´s to show then respect and not to drink, because for sure alcohol consumption of the Thai´s compairing to foreigners in Thaialnd is 100 to 1 on this Ban days.

3. There is no official announcment for any alcohol ban nowhere in Thailand after today. Everybody who post anything about this "ban" should shut up and stop putting fake information online. 

If you don´t know anything just shut up!

7 minutes ago, Wim1954 said:

Tourist could check before they buy an airplane ticket what is going on in October in Thailand so if they didn't it's theyre one problem wow 9 days MAYBE no alcohol how to survive !!!!

If there's a 9 day ban then Hua Hin will be a ghost town, all the tourists will go to a place where such a ban doesn't exist and I doubt they will come back, ever. I wouldn't.

4 minutes ago, natway09 said:

I doubt that would be correct but one can never be sure.

This is the first time for a few years that the "anti alcohol lobby" has managed to get us closed today although there are a few bars in Bangkok who are open which makes a bit of a mockery of the rule.

(The BIB do well though).

Latest we have heard is midnight 25th to midnight 27th but time will tell.

Any longer will start affecting return tourism

Someone in authority will get around to making a decision soon ?

Tourists need to show some respect if this happened in theyre own country they obey the law.

1 minute ago, ukrules said:

If there's a 9 day ban then Hua Hin will be a ghost town, all the tourists will go to a place where such a ban doesn't exist and I doubt they will come back, ever. I wouldn't.

This means you are respecting no Royal funering looser.

38 minutes ago, chickenrunCM said:

1. first why is drinking alcohol not showing respect to the king? this was not the king of foreigners and most of the foreigners never had a king or queen on their live and never missed it at all.

2. Tell the Thai´s to show then respect and not to drink, because for sure alcohol consumption of the Thai´s compairing to foreigners in Thaialnd is 100 to 1 on this Ban days.

3. There is no official announcment for any alcohol ban nowhere in Thailand after today. Everybody who post anything about this "ban" should shut up and stop putting fake information online. 

If you don´t know anything just shut up!

4 <deleted> up yourself go away out of Thailand if you don't respect the King <deleted> what you say here and I hope immigration see this will ban you for ever disrespecting can cost you 10 years in prison I realy hope they catch you.

2 hours ago, robblok said:

Not superior, just less addicted, or addicted to other stuff. 

Most locals wont be too inconvenienced , the 'addicts ' will certainly find ways to feed their habits.

Its tourists who will be caught out , many of which will have spent a great deal of hard earned money on a dream holiday. I dont think it unreasonable for them to be able to relax in the evening with a cold beer or glass of wine.

The events of this month have been long planned , the authorities know exactly what days will be 'dry ' so why hasn't the information been released by now.

A cynic might suppose that the mighty tourist baht is sacrosant in this regard , dont want to give people a reason to spend their hard earned money elsewhere , best to keep them in the dark.

I think it absolutely right and proper that these dates should be respected so alcohol bans are entirely appropriate. However these measures should be presented in an open and transparent way in order that tourists can make an informed choice.

2 hours ago, Wim1954 said:

Well perhaps if the authorities had a modicum of respect for the tourists they would post information in a timely manner in order to enable an informed decision. Do you really imagine that families book their holidays just a week or two in advance , can you really be that dense.

2 hours ago, natway09 said:

Next door to me (in Bangkok) I have 7-11 on one side and Tops on the other. 7-11 is not selling today but Tops is. Go figure.

36 minutes ago, joecoolfrog said:

Most locals wont be too inconvenienced , the 'addicts ' will certainly find ways to feed their habits.

Its tourists who will be caught out , many of which will have spent a great deal of hard earned money on a dream holiday. I dont think it unreasonable for them to be able to relax in the evening with a cold beer or glass of wine.

The events of this month have been long planned , the authorities know exactly what days will be 'dry ' so why hasn't the information been released by now.

A cynic might suppose that the mighty tourist baht is sacrosant in this regard , dont want to give people a reason to spend their hard earned money elsewhere , best to keep them in the dark.

I think it absolutely right and proper that these dates should be respected so alcohol bans are entirely appropriate. However these measures should be presented in an open and transparent way in order that tourists can make an informed choice.

Tourists can go without a drink its not that bad of a thing, and too bad for them everyone knew that oktober was the month that would be about the king. I think many people here are using the tourist as an excuse to moan because they themselves are inconvenienced. 

2 hours ago, Wim1954 said:

This means you are respecting no Royal funering looser.

I take it from your name that you are not a native English speaker, this explains the nonsense of your post but not the nonsense of your logic.