Online teaching

Neeranam

• 2 weeks later...

It's interesting to re-visit this topic.  I posted a thread last year (I think) about the viability of online teaching.  At that time, some posters said that one could generate a reasonable income from it and other posters disagreed.

Well, I went ahead and did some online teaching from Myanmar.  Financially, it generated an hourly rate about the same as my in-class teaching at an international school.  But the unreliable internet connection from Myanmar made the whole idea impracticable.

Now, with the growing problems of unrest in Myanmar, I am beginning to ask myself if I really want to be teaching the children of the 'elite' (police, army, politicians etc) in Naypyidaw.

From a brief check of teaching vacancies, it seems that the number of opportunities has increased since last year, as have the hourly rates (if one is more than a 'run-of-the-mill' teacher). My online teaching offers ares already in demand on Italki and from agencies in China and Vietnam.

My back-of-a-cigarette-packet calculations indicate that I can take home the same income as I currently make in Myanmar, without having to set foot in a classroom.

There is always the issue of work permits of course...

What do others think about online teaching opportunities?  Better than last year?  Who is currently teaching online and what are your experiences?

I have met a couple of people in the past year who are using it to fund "sabbaticals". One of these seemed quite long term and making decent money. I don't really know the details but teaching in an actual school wasn't an option for them as they were making better money and could arrange their schedules in advance.

I will definitely look into once I am finished with my present career, hopefully no more than 3 years from now !! I need to have everything in place, paid off, set up etc before I consider switching to online teaching. I believe you can make ok money, especially focusing on the Chinese market but it would be a big pay cut for me, so will have to wait till I'm semi retired...

• 3 weeks later...

It is muddy water out there.  The Chines companies are paying new employees to write positive reviews about their company.  Many have not received their first check.  Still, there are reports of people getting paid in late August for work done in July.  Some are stating it cost them almost 50 USD to get paid.  Others state they are forced to watch hours of training videos that are of no value at all.  Bonuses are frequently offered, but never actually paid.  Tech glitches are common, and the teacher always gets blamed.  Contracts are vague.  Pay stubs aren't itemized.  Time off is discouraged and penalized.  Emails go unanswered.  Curriculum is loaded with errors, and changes like the wind.  Many students are not ready for the courses, and that would include them logging in from moving vehicles, restaurants, or bed, as well as just being too young (like three or four).  Tons of paperwork to do on your own time.  Two minutes between classes. and a penalty for a lengthy piss.  Trial lessons that are fruitless.

So, yes, it is better than most teaching jobs in Thailand, without visa hassles.

2 hours ago, BuddyDean said:

It is muddy water out there.  The Chines companies are paying new employees to write positive reviews about their company.  Many have not received their first check.  Still, there are reports of people getting paid in late August for work done in July.  Some are stating it cost them almost 50 USD to get paid.  Others state they are forced to watch hours of training videos that are of no value at all.  Bonuses are frequently offered, but never actually paid.  Tech glitches are common, and the teacher always gets blamed.  Contracts are vague.  Pay stubs aren't itemized.  Time off is discouraged and penalized.  Emails go unanswered.  Curriculum is loaded with errors, and changes like the wind.  Many students are not ready for the courses, and that would include them logging in from moving vehicles, restaurants, or bed, as well as just being too young (like three or four).  Tons of paperwork to do on your own time.  Two minutes between classes. and a penalty for a lengthy piss.  Trial lessons that are fruitless.

So, yes, it is better than most teaching jobs in Thailand, without visa hassles.

Don't work for the Chinese companies then!

I'm never had any problems with my global company, based in the US.

Plus, don't teach kids.

On 23/10/2017 at 12:46 PM, cmsally said:

I have met a couple of people in the past year who are using it to fund "sabbaticals". One of these seemed quite long term and making decent money. I don't really know the details but teaching in an actual school wasn't an option for them as they were making better money and could arrange their schedules in advance.

I've a mortgage, car payments, kids at good private schools, take foreign holidays etc. One can earn and does more than a teacher in the US.

Archived