Table Fan Motor Running Hot

oldmajor

Hello All,

I had a delivery of old, dying and dead table / pedestal fans from Grandmas farm yesterday. Most are shot although some will be useful to rob parts from to Frankenstein a useful fan or two.

One of the fans looked clean and tidy, although the motor shaft was tight. I split the motor and oiled up the bearings as best I could and left overnight. This morning the motor turns freely.  The fan runs well now, although the motor is getting very hot. I changed out the capacitor with a new one just to check, but it is still running hot. Can anybody advise on any checks that I can make before I toss the fan in the rubbish? I have a multi meter but no other electrical test equipment.  

You've done the obvious things. Does the speed control work, is it still very hot on the lower speeds?

Hot running is likely a shorted turn in the motor winding, not really a DIY job.

That said, these things do run pretty warm anyway, does it smell of hot "works"? It may just be made that way, although there must be a reason it was in the terminally-ill pile.

There are actually places that re-wind fan motors for what must be really nominal fees considering the cost of a new fan.

Thanks Crossy. I ran the fan for 15 minutes and it was extremely hot. I couldn't send this back to farm. I wouldn't sleep nights!

I'm trying to locate a place that either refurbs or sells fan motors in Thailand (preferably Bangkok area) but I am struggling. AliBaba sells them cheap providing you are purchasing 2000 of them.......

If anybody knows where new or refurb motors can be purchased, I would appreciate it.

Ban Mo area around Thip Wari Alley is a good starting point.

Have a wander around there are many guys re-winding fan motors sat by the roadside, you will need a Thai speaker.

Google Maps "The Old Siam Plaza" will get you in the right area.

5 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

There is a rewind shop 50m from Phrakhanong BTS

Better yet :smile:

Could you please post GPS or Google maps co-ordinates, most BTS stations have 4 exits each with 2 directions of 50m.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/11/2017 at 9:51 AM, VocalNeal said:

There is a rewind shop 50m from Phrakhanong BTS

Vocal Neal, do you remember which side of the road the rewind shop is? I remember that there used to be an old boy fixing TV's etc not far from Max Value. I passed that place on Sunday but it was closed. Not sure if it was just closed or closed down