Most Britons want May to lead through Brexit process - Telegraph

webfact

tag-reuters.jpg

Britain's Prime Minister, Theresa May, leaves Downing Street in central London, Britain October 9, 2017. REUTERS/Toby Melville

(Reuters) - About six in ten people want British Prime Minister Theresa May to remain in her position until the Brexit process is completed, an ORB poll for the Telegraph showed on Monday.

The poll, carried out the weekend following May's speech to the Conservative Party's annual conference, found that 57 percent of voters agreed that the prime minister should stay on at least until Brexit negotiations are completed in March 2019.

Only one in five, in a survey of more than 200 voters, thought that Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson would make a better replacement to May.

May's bid to reassert her dwindling authority seemed to be stymied last week when her speech was interrupted by repeated coughing fits, a prankster, and even letters of her slogan falling off the set behind her.

The speech comes just months after a June snap election saw her party lose its majority in parliament days before the opening of formal Brexit talks with the European Union.

However, in sharp contrast, the ORB poll for the Telegraph published on Monday showed that just 46 percent of voters thought May was "not fit to lead" and 43 percent disagreed with this statement. Support for May's Conservative Party is currently running at 40 percent in opinion polls, the newspaper said.

"Ironically last week may have actually won the PM some more support. Between pranksters, leadership challenges, set failures and a nasty cough it seems that comes the public have rallied somewhat to her defence," Johnny Heald, spokesman for pollster ORB International, told the Telegraph.

(Reporting by Sangameswaran S in Bengaluru; editing by Diane Craft)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-10-10

stop all the back stabbing and let the whole group of kids in the house sort out Brexit, the vote has been done get on with it. Whatever the deal or no deal is then lets make the most of the break away from that mob across the channel.

I think that all voters know that whoever leads the country through Brexit will not be PM after next election - that's why i'd let that Labour Loony Corbyn and his lefty brigade do it. He'd make such a balls up of it , labour would be even more unelectable even to the gullible masses feeding on his false promises.  

29 minutes ago, BangkokNicky said:

or end up going broke with corbyn

A bit late for that, I am afraid - here we are (a couple of minutes ago) under the fiscal prudence of the tories. So much for supposed benefits of the decade of horror that Osbourne inflicted on those who had no hand in the crash - and that Hammond continues to practice. All this in a week of further revelations of yet more multi-national companies paying next to no tax on British profits.   

tory miracle.JPG

3 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I think that all voters know that whoever leads the country through Brexit will not be PM after next election - that's why i'd let that Labour Loony Corbyn and his lefty brigade do it. He'd make such a balls up of it , labour would be even more unelectable even to the gullible masses feeding on his false promises.  

And the country would be in pieces and never recover in our grandchildren's lifetime. We can't leave our kids and their kids such a toxic legacy as " Comrade Corbyn and Can't count Abbott! "

3 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

A bit late for that, I am afraid - here we are (a couple of minutes ago) under the fiscal prudence of the tories. So much for supposed benefits of the decade of horror that Osbourne inflicted on those who had no hand in the crash - and that Hammond continues to practice. All this in a week of further revelations of yet more multi-national companies paying next to no tax on British profits.   

tory miracle.JPG

And after all the sterling work and wonderful financial prudence of Blair and Brown too.

Corbyn's answer - re-nationalize it. What could possible go wrong with the workers in control, and the state making all the business decisions?

27 minutes ago, boomerangutang said:

Brits always seem to put down their current and former PMs.  I'm not a Brit, but when I mention a former PM (or Ms May) in any positive way, ....whatever Brit I'm with will immediately poop on what I've said.   Is it overly-humble?    I don't know, but it's annoying.

Probably because most of them, not all, were <deleted> who finished up very wealthy themselves.

Now, that's interesting. Because most Aussie's seem to have similar opinion about their current crop of pollies and previous ones too.

Guess the Germans are lucky to have the wonderful Mrs. Merkel who is beyond criticism. Whilst the US has had great presidents since they shot Kennedy!

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Another spot on the money statement from the right wing Tory paper.  I think you will find most Brits have their head in their hands over this mess.

5 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Yes well as amusing as all this is the reality is that we are in serious danger of screwing up the UK for our children.  Being "led" by this group of inadequates is very depressing and I cannot see any shining lights out there to get us out of this mire.  The cliff edge approaches. 

Theresa May is a dithering  Islamic appeasing incompetent . She should have invoked article on day 1 of her appointment as PM. She totally screwed up a decent working majority at the last general election, it even looks as if she deliberately tried to lose. I believe she is a closet remainer  and should be replaced by a decent patriotic person. Jacob Rees-Mogg or Johnson.

1 hour ago, John1012 said:

Theresa May is a dithering  Islamic appeasing incompetent . She should have invoked article on day 1 of her appointment as PM. She totally screwed up a decent working majority at the last general election, it even looks as if she deliberately tried to lose. I believe she is a closet remainer  and should be replaced by a decent patriotic person. Jacob Rees-Mogg or Johnson.

It proves the point I made in an earlier post on this thread: Brits can't help but denigrate their leaders.   I'm scant better (as an American) I denigrate Trump and his cohorts in crime to the 10th degree.   The difference is: I genuinely like some recent presidents, notably: Bill Clinton, Carter, and Obama.   Brits, for their part, can't seem to say anything uplifting about their recent string of PM's, except perhaps Thatcher (who I think is the worst of the lot, due to her letting China take back HK).

Being Britain's PM is a job which guarantees multitudes of Brits won't like you - and the dislike seems to gain momentum, with each year that passes.  

1 hour ago, boomerangutang said:

It proves the point I made in an earlier post on this thread: Brits can't help but denigrate their leaders.   I'm scant better (as an American) I denigrate Trump and his cohorts in crime to the 10th degree.   The difference is: I genuinely like some recent presidents, notably: Bill Clinton, Carter, and Obama.   Brits, for their part, can't seem to say anything uplifting about their recent string of PM's, except perhaps Thatcher (who I think is the worst of the lot, due to her letting China take back HK).

Being Britain's PM is a job which guarantees multitudes of Brits won't like you - and the dislike seems to gain momentum, with each year that passes.  

If i remember rightly Hong Kong was on a 100 year lease which expired when Thatcher held the UK reins, there was nothing she could have done had she even wanted!

7 hours ago, boomerangutang said:

Brits always seem to put down their current and former PMs.  I'm not a Brit, but when I mention a former PM (or Ms May) in any positive way, ....whatever Brit I'm with will immediately poop on what I've said.   Is it overly-humble?    I don't know, but it's annoying.

You generalise too much. What do you mean by "Whatever Brit" there is a huge difference between them, depending on thier backround. Perhaps the Brits you associate  are working class from northern UK. They are all anti conservative. Others middle class Brits would mostly  be pro conservative.

55 minutes ago, maxcorrigan said:

If i remember rightly Hong Kong was on a 100 year lease which expired when Thatcher held the UK reins, there was nothing she could have done had she even wanted!

Not so.  The more important parts of HK were ceded to the UK "In Perpetuity."   It was a treaty signed by top Chinese royalty at the turn of the century.  It's only the New Territories which were subject to a lease.  The treaty specified the appropriately named 'Boundary Road' as the border.  Britain could have legally held on to its colony.  Nobody asked me, but it should have.  There's an e-book on Amazon titled 'Hong Kong, What if....?' which gives details.

49 minutes ago, gamini said:

You generalise too much. What do you mean by "Whatever Brit" there is a huge difference between them, depending on thier backround. Perhaps the Brits you associate  are working class from northern UK. They are all anti conservative. Others middle class Brits would mostly  be pro conservative.

Perhaps I do happen to associate with Brits from the 'anti-conservative' north (your words).  Yet some Londoners also opine in that direction; of denigrating each and every PM Britain has had since Churchill.  It seems to be as embedded a pastime as getting pissed on ale.

I am from the North of the UK and from a working class background. I have been a conservative supporter since I was old enough to vote.

I attended Grammar school as a youth, served in the RN, went on to a decent business career. There are plenty like me in the conservative North so we are not quote: " the Brits you associate are working class from northern UK. They are all anti conservative "

You make an unfounded generalisation. I am a fan of Thatcher and no fan of the current government who are struggling to get their act together. I feel however, they will.

A life under Corbyn and Abbott would be a catastrophe that would send the UK backwards for decades.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

6 hours ago, gamini said:

It seems you may have got it arse about face nowadays.