Buying home with Thai girlfriend advice

1 hour ago, jeab1980 said:

Its not being judgemental to say i appreciate what I have. Relax yourself negative thoughts do your kama no good whatsoever.  If you truly dislikevthe place you choose to live. The solution is easy. Calm minfs breed calm decisions. What you may think is deluded is just that your thoughts. You constantly give bad advise at the same time as giving out bad kalma. Look within your sole and cleanse your mind and your spirit will be freed.

Point of order please advise post where I have stated 20 years.

Give it a rest. You repeat this BS constantly about how happy you are and 'wonderful' your Thai family is. Mr Self Righteous It's BORING ok and you misinform others so stop it.

He did not ask "how happy YOU are" he asked about buying a house with HIS GF and most of us gave solid advice and we don't need you coming along telling us of your 'wonderful' life, with your 'wonderful' Thai family in your 'wonderful' province. Most of us said 'don't do it' which is sound advice. Thais are not to be trusted, generally, and are irresponsible with no ethical base.

Just enjoy your life and worry about your own 'sole' and kalma  (sic)   :cheesy:

Edited by LannaGuy

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just ask yourself a question--- if you were back in your own country would you buy a girl you had met online or at a bar and only known a short time (less than 2 months) a house ( just so she would stay with you ) Just because the sex is good and she is pretty doesn't mean it's love.

Buy her a house in your home country--you decide whose name it's in. Rent it out with a guaranteed rental agreement or through a property manager--as long as she is with you, she gets a portion of the rental monies each month to rent her a place here; or to do as she desires.

I rent a 3-storey/4bdr/3bth townhouse in a nice downtown neighborhood for B8k/mo ($240/mo). I rent out a 2bdr/2bth unit in Florida for $900/mo--sure I have taxes, insurance, repairs, and property management fees, but after paying those off, I have enough left over to pay my rent, electric, water, cable TV, and internet. And, I own the place in Florida without encumbrance. 

The risk is too great just don't do it. Things change and what you think/feel now is no guarantee for the future. I have not gone through all the posts but I'd imagine most of it would be 'don't do it' so listen to those that have lived here for decades and seen the outcomes of so many 'made in heavens'. A few have been fortunate but they are the exception. Relax, enjoy and don't be serious.

17 hours ago, oxo1947 said:

He is not married--if he had the intention of marrying then he should do so before the purchase of property. Other wise he would be treated in accordance  of section CCC-1629.

Thus--:

Married without a Will --Lose half your house

Not married without a will --Lose all your house.

If there is no Thai will, the intestate's assets must be distributed in accordance with the classes of relations as stipulated in the CCC Section 1629 which are, in order of priority:

descendants;

parents;

brothers and sisters of full blood;

brothers and sisters of half blood;

grandfathers and grandmothers;

uncles and aunts.

Before any distribution of the estate to the relatives, half of the estate, known as Sin Somros, will belong to the spouse, if any.

Again not quite true, although the point about being a husband is of course correct .

However,  if there is no will, then 50% of the estate will indeed go to the husband as Sin Somros.   However, the other 50% will be divided amongst the relatives (as you state ) but the husband will also be included as a beneficiary !!!!!

For example,  if there are 2  beneficiaries on the wife's side then the 50% will be divided amongst 3 not 2,.  So diving the husband  in effect 66% of the total estate .     Of course,  if there are many more relatives on the wife's side who are entitled to a share of the estate then the husband share will be less than one third ..

But it is important to note that the husband IS included in the remaining 50% share of it to be divided amongst the beneficiaries 

I can assure you that this is Thai law

11 hours ago, Tony125 said:

Did you bother to read the post? She is NOT his wife she is his girl friend.

Yes ,.   I did realise that, but my comment was really a reaction to a point of Thai Probate law concerning property division in general after a spouse death....

7 hours ago, The Fat Controller said:

If you want to buy a house and can afford to walk away should everything goes tits-up, then by all means do it.

However, if you have time, rent somewhere close to where you plan to buy and see how you get on with living in Thailand.

Personally, I am struggling to adapt to life in Thailand, the lack of other English speakers close by is a problem for me, even though I am in a big city (Ubon).

Luckily, my wife and her family are all successful middle class and never ask for handouts, no family dramas at all.

My advice, try living there first before buying.

You don't miss Palmers M?   I certainly don't!!!

7 hours ago, Dipterocarp said:

This is true, my meter is from PEA in my name. Water is 30 baht per month. I rented a room two doors down for several months, (high season, low season), to check the noise situation. My neighbors are fine. Mostly Bangkok people who keep a Pied a Terre in Chiang Mai for weekends and holidays. Usually not in residence. The only noise was from nightclubs and CNX airplanes. None of that bothers me anyway but the nightclubs have been shuttered over the years and eventually I had the high quality German design dual pane windows installed.

No motorbikes buzzing, no chickens, no howling dogs, goddamn frogs and screeching Crickets.  Quite quiet actually.

Sounds like Bliss, I am looking at replacement windows and Sliding Door to keep the place cooler, I have nice aluminum windows and sliding door, but they get hot during the day.  Pbly not double pane.

yes dont listen these negative fools here u doing the right thing  to follow your heart. Ask if her parents have a nice landplot available for ur dreamhouse so u pay them for the land and u Absorb also the construction costs i think u even can double your money in 5 years sure. Pls Give us an update in 18 months of all ur success so we can learn from u.

Here, as well as in other similar threads, some "Parachutes" are suggested to protect the Farang.

- 30 year leases, usufructs and others.

The question is: Would the Farang still want to live under the same roof with his estranged wife? (Being in the possession of a usufruct or 30 year lease, does not give the Farang the right to kick-out his estranged wifey).
Would the Farang be willing to stay on, if he has to replace the tires of his car once a week? etc, etc.

Those "Parachutes" is something nice to have, but legal exercises in futility, because in the end, it's the Farang who will leave the mansion and not the lady.
Voluntarily (what a relief) or semi-voluntarily (fearing for his future well being).
Cheers.

On 10/10/2017 at 9:12 PM, worgeordie said:

What do you mean,buying house with Thai girlfriend ?

Do you mean you are paying for it,and in her name,?

Please think very carefully about what you are doing,

and only do it if you can afford the loss,and walk away

from it,without regrets,can you do that ?,if answer is no

dont do it.

regards worgeordie

Buy condo your name, only way you win...she will leave you because your smart, but many fish in the sea...

5 hours ago, musiclover said:

but the husband will also be included as a beneficiary !!!!!

I do not mean to be impolite Musiclover --but you seem to be having trouble with the word "Spouse" as stated in Thai Government -Section 16220"In order of priority

Maybe it is not in your lexicon -

spouse

spous,spouz

noun: spouse; plural noun: spouses

a husband or wife, considered in relation to their partner

Before any distribution of the estate to the relatives, half of the estate, known as Sin Somros, will belong to the spouse, if any

I tried to pit it simply---Unlike the law in Western countries

(If you have been) Married (100 years) without a Will --(you could) Lose half your house

Not married (but together 100 years) without a will --(you could) Lose all your house.

It’s Important to have a will

Edited by oxo1947

The odds on this going South are so high I doubt anyone would take a bet. I have heard (which may give you some idea) that airports are considering using thai women to detect currency smuggling. Something about them being able to sniff out money, lol

All this have a will ect total <deleted> in my view. I live in rural Thailand with my wife in a house we built in her birth village close to her family. We have a son if and i hope this senario never happens my wife dies my son would get the house and i would carry on living here as normal. Thats a given everything in place for that to happen.

Now if i had no son and the wife died would i really want to carry on living in our family home with all the associated memories. Would i F###. I would be gone. The family here in Village would i know for a fact would  do everything correctly ensuring i was given what would be rightfully mine.

But as that will never happen i can rest assured i will be living in this house till the day i die.

27 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

All this have a will ect total <deleted> in my view. I live in rural Thailand with my wife in a house we built in her birth village close to her family. We have a son if and i hope this senario never happens my wife dies my son would get the house and i would carry on living here as normal. Thats a given everything in place for that to happen.

Now if i had no son and the wife died would i really want to carry on living in our family home with all the associated memories. Would i F###. I would be gone. The family here in Village would i know for a fact would  do everything correctly ensuring i was given what would be rightfully mine.

But as that will never happen i can rest assured i will be living in this house till the day i die.

The family here in Village would i know for a fact would  do everything correctly ensuring i was given what would be rightfully mine.

'for a fact'    :giggle:

download (1).jpg

Edited by LannaGuy

48 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

The family here in Village would i know for a fact would  do everything correctly ensuring i was given what would be rightfully mine.

'for a fact'    :giggle:

download (1).jpg

yes for a Fact.

9 hours ago, oxo1947 said:

I do not mean to be impolite Musiclover --but you seem to be having trouble with the word "Spouse" as stated in Thai Government -Section 16220"In order of priority

Maybe it is not in your lexicon -

spouse

spous,spouz

noun: spouse; plural noun: spouses

a husband or wife, considered in relation to their partner

Before any distribution of the estate to the relatives, half of the estate, known as Sin Somros, will belong to the spouse, if any

I tried to pit it simply---Unlike the law in Western countries

(If you have been) Married (100 years) without a Will --(you could) Lose half your house

Not married (but together 100 years) without a will --(you could) Lose all your house.

It’s Important to have a will

Oxo.... I am not sure of the point you are trying to make..

Are you saying to my statement regarding division of assets is incorrect ?

Of course I have no trouble with the  meaning of the word spouse 

Perhaps we are talking Cross purposes here ....

I am simply take issue with you about the matter of the spouse receiving 50% as Sin Somros.   Of course I am assuming there is proper marriage and no will, as you state..

Your last paragraph or two which states that you lose half the house (without any will) is simply incorrect !!!!

You (assuming you are the foreign husband )will gain MORE than half the house... this is entirely dependent on how many relatives are entitled to make a claim on the estate .

Are you disputing this fact ????

It's a funny one this, and everyone's different. 

Personally speaking, bought land and built a house in whoop whoop over a decade ago. Land was 70,000 a rai at the time. The house cost 500,000 to build. It's nothing special but I like it. Got a nice garden which we've worked on over the years. Also bought extra land around the house to make it just over 2 rai now. I think it's different if you have children together which we do. Whatever happens I've provided a home for my children that they will own one day. 

I have no regrets whatsoever. The money involved was quite small really too.

Funnily enough, we all left Thailand 5 years ago as I got a job in Saudi. Now looking to buy another property in Hua Hin as a retirement location, so I'm going to do it all over again.

How much are you prepared to put in financially? I wouldn't do it with a GF or when there were no kids involved myself. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

WoW "built in her birth village close to her family" NoNo

just drive, look at nice homes and ask why farangs are not living there anymore..,..

you will get replies like - farang drinking, farang drugs problem, farang HIV and more.

take Thai speaking friend and look for real answers and you will get

As soon as construction is finished You are finished too. Next farang next freebee