Operators preparing for the storm as Pattaya smoking ban approaches

webfact

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sure that the penalty will be reduced to a reasonable amount (2000b) once they start enforcing this.  Sometimes I have left Jomtien Beach early even though I always get an aisle seat because of all the cigarette some under the umbrellas. This is a good rule for many reasons; just wonder if it will be enforced. I foresee some arguments between smokers and non smokers. Recently they banned sale of alcohol by chair vendors but I noticed they were still serving beer last weekend at Jomtien.  Very few swimmers though- I think all of the publicity about the broken sewage treatment system has people concerned.

As usual the idiots came up with yet another ridiculous "law" that makes absolutely no sense other than allowing them to fleece anyone that looks like they can pay.

All the idiots had to do was to enforce an anti littering law that just covered everything from cig. Butts to plastic bags and everything in between - Hell, why even limit it to 20 beaches, just enforce it nationwide, but oh no, that would require some of the idiots to actually do the job they are paid to do.

Much easier to make a nice selective law so they can sit on their dumb asses all day until they feel inclined to pop down to the beach and blag a few baht off Joe tourist - As usual in this backward dictatorship, everything gets done ass about face, too little too late or a complete kneejerk.

5 hours ago, smedly said:

well yes if you discard your rubbish on the beach including cigarette butts, then it makes sense

This is not about littering.... it's about smoking.

litterers should be castrated, right? No problems... everyone hates em... but this is not about littering.

Non smoking knob head sitting beside a smoker can dump his trash in the sand, and not have a problem.

hell... mayhaps you can even take a full ash tray down to the beach and dump it, without a problem, as long as there's no smoking involved

thats how stupid this situation is

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Manager reported that business was usual on Pattaya Beach yesterday with tourists smoking and tossing their butts in the sand.

Lol.... when a picture says a thousand words.... because the picture supplied shows tourists with ashtrays ( who is this manager?)

This is the way the Portuguese deal with smoking quality tourists.

You pick up a little goblet and sit anywhere at the beach. Then fill the goblet with a little sand to be used as ashtray. On leaving the beach you return the goblet (with sand/buds) to the rack where you picked-up the goblet. A side bin is there for you to empty the goblet and hang the goblet back from where you took it. 

Alternatively the beach chair lenders could do their little extra to keep the beaches clean - but yeah, this is Thailand and hence it must be different to the rest of the world. 

All these stories are read worldwide and the boys just made themselves the laughing stock of tourism - again - after no chairs, no umbrellas and no beer at the beach! Carry on the good work, will you! 

Please bring back the Ashtray.JPG

How that will work in practice.

Do anyone check smoking rulez on beaches before they go on hollidays?

Lets say russian fam comes how they would know?

So they going to put no smoking signs all over the place before they fine someone right?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

"We will help to break the news about this," she said, "and encourage tourists to dispose of their butts in the correct place".

Where's the correct place? It can't be rubbish bins, because rubbish bins are nowhere to be found.

And there is the rub. If the council & operators had provided suitable places for smoking  & facilities for disposal of cig butts all this would not be necessary,,,,,, but now it will become a money making exercise.

Have they approved the new law on grease traps & the budget for a new sewerage plant or has that money disappeared as well

Does anyone really think that this new law is about clean air, clean beaches and stopping smoking???

The beaches are covered in waste pretty much every day now.   I have never noticed the cigarette butts in the piles of plastic bottles, food containers, human waste and glass.

I am afraid that Thailand has already killed the goose that lays the Golden Eggs!!  Any environmental legislation will be too late to recover now.

I stopped going to the beaches when the waste became too much to bear.  So, this law will have no effect on me!

Please don't get mad!  It is just my opinion!!:smile::shock1::smile:

6 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

Reckon the beach vendors have found a new way to

supplement there income from the last few crackdowns on them.

Synchronized grassing up to the cops,  is on it's way.

Win Win. :thumbsup:

Ps what a stupid rule,  let the people have a smoke out side if they want.

It may be considered a stupid rule but it has been brought on themselves by discarding their putrid, disgusting butts like they’re someone else’s problem. 

The real impact of this stupidity will be be felt after November 1st if/when someone gets fined,and it's widely publicised worlwide that you are at risk of being fined a substantial amount of money for smoking,that's when most tourists will evaluate and eliminate the risk,and head for alternative stress free destinations that don't have bureaucratic idiots dictating and trying to enforce this sort of nonsense on them....Just another nail in the TAT coffin..TIT.

I was a smoker, now I vape.Thailand tells me I cannot vape, so while I am there I have to smoke,if I want my nicotine fix,

but I cannot smoke while I am on the beach relaxing.Vaping has no butts, no smoke only water vapor but I cannot do that on the beach. Also I cannot have a beer instead.Thailand is getting to be like N Korea, every action has to be thought and considered before doing anything in case you are breaking some obscure interpretation of the law..

I have no problem with any laws that Thailand may make, it is their country, but all laws should be enforced uniformly, not up to the individual policeman(sic) and the laws set out clearly so no one has any doubt what the law is.

A prime example is the carrying of passport at all times.Some places say a copy is ok,some places say you can report later with your passport.One district says one thing, travel 50 miles and that district says something else.Its all up to whoever stops you on that day.Same applys to immigration, one office wants this bit of paper this week but next week its a different one, go to a different office and its a whole new set of rules.Same same swampy 20K Baht or not when you come in.

Ban smoking, no problem, ban littering ok but enforce these laws the same all over the country, Thais, farangs should know exactly what will happen if they break the law and the Government enforce the laws they make.

Rant over

ps I know smoking is a filthy habit but my vaping is the first step in giving up.Thailand you are not helping me

Edited by CeeGee
clarification

My question is, if I was seen to be smoking a cigarette on the poisonous infectious sands by the Pattaya Beer Garden overflow, where the city dumps its slurry of raw untreated sewage and tons of trash from the streets into the sea, would the police wade through the slimy toxic sludge and give me a 100,000 baht ticket and a year in jail?

Pattaya_sewage_going_into_the_sea.jpg

n4Rubbish2.jpg

4 hours ago, Spellforce said:

With that new law if I cant smoke on the beach, then I wont come anymore.

What people do they want on the beach ? Nuns with 20 bahts in their pocket ? Why not...

No, but getting rid of smokers who chuck their dog ends in the sand that my children play in would be nice.

45 minutes ago, Jimbo53 said:

The real impact of this stupidity will be be felt after November 1st if/when someone gets fined,and it's widely publicised worlwide that you are at risk of being fined a substantial amount of money for smoking,that's when most tourists will evaluate and eliminate the risk,and head for alternative stress free destinations that don't have bureaucratic idiots dictating and trying to enforce this sort of nonsense on them....Just another nail in the TAT coffin..TIT.

it is already on the BBC

2 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

I can see it already. "Tourist gets 1 year in jail for lighting up a ciggy on the beach, while policemen,s son hacks a cripple to death with a samurai sword and walks free" :(

Which policeman's son "walked free" for that?  Do you mean the one who, with his mates, has been charged and not walked free?

7 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

Can you imagine after your long flight and the first morning on the beach, not knowing anything about this new law, you relax and light up and get fined $3000 USD?

Responsible accomodation providers (?) would advise their guests. But those who would be a part of the gravy train/brown bag largess will say nothing.  :whistling:

Same same with the beach vendors.

Edited by lvr181
Additional comment

55 minutes ago, Jimbo53 said:

"...most tourists will evaluate and eliminate the risk,and head for alternative stress free destinations..."

Yeah, right.  I'd bet that the majority of tourists/beach-goers are not smokers so they won't give a toss.