a complete list of requirements for a retirement visa for those who already pocess a non imm.O visa

27 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

There has not been one that I can recall in the years on i have been active on this forum.

There is one for getting visas in the region but never for the requirements to get an extension based upon retirement.

Yes it was before your time.  I'll have a search and see if I can find a copy.

If I am successful I will PM you a copy.

4 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I'm renting in BKK, and CW Immigration has never asked for that in connection with my retirement extensions.

Well they do say every office has different rules.  Maybe mine was only needed because I changed addresses.  I must ask next time I go there, which by the way is Nakhon Pathom.:wai:

14 minutes ago, Si Thea01 said:

No one has seemed to mention that if one is renting they will also need a copy of the owner's ID and House Book, both duly signed.:wai:

Yeah as has already been said, every office has different requirements, my Last one CM did not want any residence evidence for EOS.

2 minutes ago, Billy Bloggs said:

Yeah as has already been said, every office has different requirements, my Last one CM did not want any residence evidence for EOS.

I might have been mistaken, maybe they only wanted those two documents as I had just moved provinces and had a new address.:wai:

3 hours ago, David Walden said:

I have a Visa...A  Non-Immigrant 0-A  M issued in Australia...The Thai Embassy in Australia refers to it as a "Retirement Visa" (on the application form).  It took me 3 years to workout how to go about getting one.  In Thailand people will still tell me there is no such thing as a "Retirement Visa"  I rest my case.

And those who tell you there is no such thing as a 'Retirement Visa' are correct.

As you already correctly stated what you applied for and was issued was a Non Imm O-A Visa.

In the US they refer to the Non Imm O-A Visa as the 'long stay' Visa.

I have yet to see a Visa issued by any Thai Embassy that has the word' retirement' or 'long stay' printed on it.

Non Imm O-A Visa, the Non Imm O ME Visa and Extensions based on retirement are often referred to as 'Retirement Visa'.

The fact is they are all issued for the purpose of Retirement, but they all have different conditions of use.

Telling me you have a 'Retirement Visa' usually means you have one of two Visas issued by a Thai Embassy, or an Extension issued by Immigration. And your guess which one, is as good as mine.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, tgeezer said:

Oh goody, a discussion on semantics!
English speakers taught Thais the word 'weesaa' so English people are the only ones who know what it means. (The same sort of English speakers who taught Thais to write 'click for to download' presumably. ) This forum has decided that visa is the stamp which is sometimes overstamped 'used' when you pass through Immigration at the border. Legally, Thai does not use 'weesaa' , or didn't, they use 'draa' (stamp) and in the nature of Thai specify what it allows. This forum is in English and the term visa has been assigned a specific meaning which, because it is counter intuitive, naturally creates controversy.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

I can remember when I was about 7 years old and Sydney Morning Herald had a Sydney University article about a new invention called a "COMPUTER".  This new thing called a computer was about 30 feet by 15 feet and about 10 feet tall.  My mum who read the article to me was greatly impressed that this computer would make accountants obsolete with in 10 years...Things do change.  I think some of you blokes should look up the English comedy series "The Goons" and study up how you go about opening an "Argument Shop" .  You all good at that.  Not much good at anything else.

Edited by David Walden

13 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

And those who tell you there is no such thing as a 'Retirement Visa' are correct.

As you already correctly stated what you applied for and was issued was a Non Imm O-A Visa.

In the US they refer to the Non Imm O-A Visa as the 'long stay' Visa.

I have yet to see a Visa issued by any Thai Embassy that has the word' retirement' or 'long stay' printed on it.

Non Imm O-A Visa, the Non Imm O ME Visa and Extensions based on retirement are often referred to as 'Retirement Visa'.

The fact is they are all issued for the purpose of Retirement, but they all have different conditions of use.

Telling me you have a 'Retirement Visa' usually means you have one of two Visas issued by a Thai Embassy, or an Extension issued by Immigration. And your guess which one, is as good as mine.

http://canberra.thaiembassy.org/Home/visa

Perhaps your blind also.  When in Thailand you do as the Thais do...when in Rome you do as the Romans do ...when in Australian you as the Australians do...When you interpret Thai language into Australian English as most normal people do a non-immigrant  A-O  M visa becomes ...Wait for it!..  Wait for it!... I'll say it again... wait for it!

A Retirement Visa :stoner:

Edited by David Walden
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, David Walden said:

Open thine eyes and yea shall see, or perhaps when you go into the bush you are having trouble seeing the woods because there are to many trees in the way.

Says he who claims it took him 3 years to figure out how to obtain a Non Imm O-A Visa.

Open thine eyes and yea shall see, alternatively visit Specsavers.

The same site also states the Non Imm O-A Visa is issued for the purpose of Retirement (twice in fact).

VISA TYPES/PURPOSE OF VISIT

RETIREMENT/LONG-STAY VISA (Maximum stay 1 year and employment is prohibited)

Purpose of Visit: This type of visa may be issued to applicants aged 50 years and over who wish to stay in Thailand for a period of not exceeding 1 year without the intention of working.  Financial statement and police check are required. (Category “O-A”)

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, David Walden said:

Perhaps your blind also.  When in Thailand you do as the Thais do...when in Rome you do as the Romans do ...when in Australian you as the Australians do...When you interpret Thai language into Australian English as most normal people do a non-immigrant  A-O  M visa becomes ...Wait for it!..  Wait for it!... I'll say it again... wait for it!

A Retirement Visa :stoner:

But it's not in Thai language, it's in English.

You just don't understand what you read!

Purpose of Visit = Retirement.

Type of Visa = Non Imm O-A.

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Tanoshi said:

But it's not in Thai language, it's in English.

You just don't understand what you read!

I refer you back to my previous post about opening an "argument shop".  I think it is about time I got onto my local Parliamentary member about legislating against "frivolity and stupidity"..  It seems to be becoming contagious.

8 minutes ago, David Walden said:

I refer you back to my previous post about opening an "argument shop".  I think it is about time I got onto my local Parliamentary member about legislating against "frivolity and stupidity"..  It seems to be becoming contagious.

Claiming denial is always much easier than claiming fault, just ask your local PM.

11 minutes ago, MickTurator said:

A visa cannot be extended.

I presume you mean an extension of Permission to Stay

I also found his list confusing;

Visit Bangkok Bank, downtown Lampang, and obtain a Letter of Guarantee of Deposit. Go to bank on the morning of 26 27 April 2017. Make copy of Letter. B100

Make copies of every page of bank Savings Book for last year, May 2016 through April 2017. Sign every page – make copy (1)

Make a copy of the Income Verification Form from the US Consulate.

Where's the either/or, surely not supplying all 3?

44 minutes ago, MickTurator said:

Might need all three if using a combination of income and deposit

Agreed, although it isn't clear.

By either/or, I meant as in this example;

8.Proof of Funds;

If using the funds in the bank method an updated passbook and letter from the bank dated the same

day as the application. Funds in the passbook and letter must match.

If using the income method, a letter from your Embassy confirming income, OR,

you can use a combination of the two methods providing it adds up to 800,000 baht per annum.

1 hour ago, sklmeeera said:

What a waste of money . You would be better off getting tourist visa and leaving the country every now and then .

You mean, lost ROI on the 800K in the bank, vs investments with better returns?  You could opt for income or combo to eliminate or mitigate that aspect. 

If spending considerable time out of Thailand every year, and not staying long - then I would agree.  But add up 4 comfortable Tourist-Visa trips + 4 extensions per-year, and you may find the time/trouble/cost of obtaining a retirement-extension is less-expensive. 

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 1:07 PM, Tanoshi said:

Agreed, although it isn't clear.

By either/or, I meant as in this example;

8.Proof of Funds;

If using the funds in the bank method an updated passbook and letter from the bank dated the same

day as the application. Funds in the passbook and letter must match.

If using the income method, a letter from your Embassy confirming income, OR,

you can use a combination of the two methods providing it adds up to 800,000 baht per annum.

Sorry for the confusion - I do use both monthly income (pension & social security) and deposits; the verification from the consulate serves as both income verification (whatever I choose to write down) and address verification (its primary purpose for me).

I have a non O imm visa and am switching to a retirement visa. Currently my farang  wife of same country is gets her visa (also none imm O) becasue I have one. Now that I am switching to a retirement visa. Can she once again get her visa attched to me? How does that work?