Beach smoking ban: Pattaya beach operators and tourists agree but PR blitz needed

webfact

Beach smoking ban: Pattaya beach operators and tourists agree but PR blitz needed

5pm1.jpg

Picture: Sophon Cable

Sophon Cable TV reported that deckchair operators on the beach in Pattaya broadly agreed with the smoking bad announced this week.

But they felt that more was needed to inform tourists of what to expect.

Suwan Penthong, 50, said that she agreed with the ban as many people were allergic to or annoyed by second hand cigarette smoke and would be happy. She stressed the need for there to be zones where smokers could still enjoy a puff.

Wanchai Lertnirandorn, 57, also agreed with the ban as it would have a positive impact on the environment.

But he suggested that more needed to be done to inform tourists about the regulations and that PR needed to be stepped up.

Both operators said there would be an impact on tourism but it was not necessarily detrimental.

5pm.jpg

Picture: Sophon Cable

Meanwhile Sophon spoke to tourist Ronald Kuiters, 66, from the Netherlands, who said that even though he was a smoker he supported the ban too.

He said there were plenty of places to smoke and on the beach with other people around was not one of them.

A ban has been introduced not just in Pattaya but at a total of 20 beaches nationwide from November 1st.

Should it prove successful it will be expanded in the future.

No mention was made in the Sophon story about the year jail and 100,000 baht fine that could be levied for those that break the law.

This has caused much controversy particularly among non-Thais fearing that the punishments could be used as leverage for unscrupulous officials in extorting money.

Thaivisa notes that the penalties are so harsh because environmental not littering laws have been invoked.

Source: Sophon Cable

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-10-13

I can guarantee you that I will tell all my friends, visitors and acquaintances to avoid going to any beach that has this ban in place. Can you imagine the extortion attempts that will happen now by the BIB? They will make those guys on Sukhumvit near Terminal 21 look like pikers......

Personally I don't care. But when the fine for smoking is more than the fine for, say, running over and maiming  a pedestrian, what is wrong with this picture.  

Why don't I care.  The ban will not affect tourism this year.  The ban will affect tourism after this year when the foreign press starts reporting about their citizens who are serving a year in Thai jail and subject to a 100K THB fine for smoking on the beach.  That's pulp news that the public just sucks up to no end.
That's when tour operators in foreigner countries start suggesting to their clients to take their vacations to Cancun and anywhere else.  

Otherwise, get real.  There already is a law on the book regarding imposing 2000 THB fines for smoking in public.  Extend that to the beaches.  No problem.

The first foreigner busted and convicted to a year in jail and 100K THB fine is going to start a social media feeding frenzy, and a well deserved one at that.  

Edited by connda

I agree. Only another scam in  wait as the pigs wait to get their snouts into yet another trough.

Perhaps the jetski scammers will help by usefully pointing out folk who are smoking in return for a kick back from the "fine" paid.

Maybe also your erstwhile friendly food seller who was previously happy making a couple of thousand a day selling food will now also become snitch for a share of the mega millions lotto that will be the new 100,000 baht smoking scam.

Seriously screwed up thinking by the idiots running the country.

Edited by SGD

1 hour ago, connda said:

Personally I don't care. But when the fine for smoking is more than the fine for, say, running over and maiming  a pedestrian, what is wrong with this picture.  

Why don't I care.  The ban will not affect tourism this year.  The ban will affect tourism after this year when the foreign press starts reporting about their citizens who are serving a year in Thai jail and subject to a 100K THB fine for smoking on the beach.  That's pulp news that the public just sucks up to no end.
That's when tour operators in foreigner countries start suggesting to their clients to take their vacations to Cancun and anywhere else.  

Otherwise, get real.  There already is a law on the book regarding imposing 2000 THB fines for smoking in publicExtend that to the beaches.  No problem.

The first foreigner busted and convicted to a year in jail and 100K THB fine is going to start a social media feeding frenzy, and a well deserved one at that.  

Actually enforcing said law might possibly be an idea. Sorry for my naivety. :whistling: 

1 minute ago, NE1 said:

What about the Thais and the parties they have at night time down on the beach , will there be a " no smoking between the hours of " ?

Only UNofficially......

Why does Pattaya’s so-called “beach” feature so often on TVF? No self respecting visitor or local goes near it. 

Thai culture will never change, it’s a lost-cause disaster zone. 

The sooner they fence off this unsafe, polluted, bacterial laden stretch of coastline the better. 

The whole thing is a joke.

Having never been a beach man myself it will not directly affect me but there are many far more important laws on the statute books that need to be enforced before they start enforcing an easy money grab law.

It is a bit like saying we cannot give you a salary increase but you can get a cut out of fines for this.

The "not even police" at the lower part of Sukhumvit acting like "mafia" about a simple cigarette butt have

already cost Thailand many thousands of quality tourists who will never return.

Worse than Singapore  but I suppose with all the millions of Chinese coming now they no longer care.

The place will end up with only 3rd class tourists who have no spending power but with their stupidity 

that is what they deserve.

A bit like advertising alcohol in the press ban but they continue to sell in 7/11s. It just does not make any sense... Alcohol should only be sold in licensed bars & dedicated licensed take away  bottle shops where age is strictly enforced. 

What ever happened with the no-alcohol sales by chair and umbrella vendors at the beach? Is that still going to happen? I haven't heard anything on this since it was introduced a month ago. So, is it going to be "no smoking, no drinking" beaches in Thailand??  555.... What's next,?

Let's hurry and make Pattaya just like everywhere else in the world...  I, for one, love going there because I am <deleted> well allowed to smoke.  People who don't like it can go to about a million other places where everything is banned.  The place is like a tiny bastion of freedom in a world full of rules, regulations, and political correctness.  I love that they can't even enforce a tenth of the rules they have.  It is fantastic!  

That said, I think I will go outside in the <deleted> cold and smoke...  oh yeah, it will mean I get to breathe poisonous diesel exhaust, which people the world over seem to be perfectly ok with.  Idiots!

8 hours ago, SGD said:

I agree. Only another scam in  wait as the pigs wait to get their snouts into yet another trough.

Perhaps the jetski scammers will help by usefully pointing out folk who are smoking in return for a kick back from the "fine" paid.

Maybe also your erstwhile friendly food seller who was previously happy making a couple of thousand a day selling food will now also become snitch for a share of the mega millions lotto that will be the new 100,000 baht smoking scam.

Seriously screwed up thinking by the idiots running the country.

There is no scam if you don't smoke at the beach.

16 hours ago, toolpush said:

I can guarantee you that I will tell all my friends, visitors and acquaintances to avoid going to any beach that has this ban in place. Can you imagine the extortion attempts that will happen now by the BIB? They will make those guys on Sukhumvit near Terminal 21 look like pikers......

LOL.  Have fun with your "guarantees".   5555555    The non-smokers will smile and head straight there.  The smokers will commiserate with you and stay away.   'Works for me.   Another stick in smokers' eyes.   The trend continues.

Except that the Pattaya beaches are so nasty, a great many stay away nowadays regardless.   When they figure out a way to clean up the water so you can safely swim in it, call me...

17 hours ago, connda said:

That's pulp news that the public just sucks up to no end.

Thailand, the origin of Pulp Fiction, where the most vorific writer is the Government.

They put Edgar Rice Burroughs (Tarzan writer), and H. Rider Haggard (King Solomon's Mines, SHE etc)... to shame.

Just now, mikebell said:

On the positive side it will put a stop to the Bandits-in-Brown road blocks that snarl up traffic - the police will be patrolling the beach looking for more than the usual 200 baht 'fine'. 

You're a glass "Half Full" kind of guy Mike! Good on ya!

Let the smokers have a smoke on the beach

this is a silly money making scam.

The problem could be easily managed. 

buy some equipment and employ some staff to do the job.

The Ministry of rip you off are in full swing

( CLEAN YOUR BEACHES THAILAND ) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

If you are going to be fined 100,000Baht and/or a year in jail for endangering the environment by smoking on the beach, how much is the Pattaya City government going to be fined for releasing all that sewer and dirty water into the environment??????????

On 2017-10-13 at 9:14 AM, connda said:

Otherwise, get real.  There already is a law on the book regarding imposing 2000 THB fines for smoking in public.  Extend that to the beaches.  No problem.

2000 or 100K, what the differens? Just don´t smoke where it´s not allowed. Fine!

2000 or 100K, what the differens? Just don´t smoke where it´s not allowed. Fine!

It is fine until targeted for scamming. Police can identify wealth a Frang they don’t like, or just choose a “vic”. Simply throw a butt on the sand at your feet. Your word against the Royal Thai Police. Pay up sucker!

4 hours ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

It is fine until targeted for scamming. Police can identify wealth a Frang they don’t like, or just choose a “vic”. Simply throw a butt on the sand at your feet. Your word against the Royal Thai Police. Pay up sucker!

Wow! You must love Thailand. 
Ever heard about witness, maybe not a smoker and a possible check for dna if it has to go that far. I would say, refuse to pay and you will be on the safe side. 
oh, dear! How far some people go with their wildest imaginations.