SURVEY: Brexit -- Good or Bad Idea?

Scott

SURVEY: Brexit -- a Good or Bad Idea?  

345 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The EU is a joke , and will never work . Too many Eurocrats getting Greedier and greedier ,all they want is the monies sent to Brussels to top up their Pensions . They could not give a rats arse about any one else .As for Herr Merkel  and her Euro Army , that will never happen . In a very short time frame the EU will be no more . Just another embarrassing moment in German Blunders [ as it always happens to Dictators.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Surasak said:

Maybe so,but 21 miles of sea separates us from the mainland of europe.

Just a moment ago you liked a comment that accepted geography connects us with Europe but claimed that we are separated by politics, culture and history.  Now you are accepting that we are connected through politics, culture and history but claiming that we are sperated by geography.  Funny.

3 minutes ago, ROGER DUNN said:

The EU is a joke , and will never work . Too many Eurocrats getting Greedier and greedier ,all they want is the monies sent to Brussels to top up their Pensions . They could not give a rats arse about any one else .As for Herr Merkel  and her Euro Army , that will never happen . In a very short time frame the EU will be no more . Just another embarrassing moment in German Blunders [ as it always happens to Dictators.

The EU is doing very well, it has surpassed all of its original goals and keep striding to meet more, and the economy is set to boom by all measures, meanwhile the UK has stagnated and by all measures looks set for a crash.  You really should look intimate why some politicians wanted to leave, one of the main ones was the court of human rights, hardly a mark of a dictatorship to build that, but to want away from it...

26 minutes ago, whatsupdoc said:

I respect your reasons. And honestly, I do not know that many people who voted for Brexit but was a bit shocked about their stance on immigration and that being the main reason to vote to leave.

The biggest poll taken after the referendum (AshcroftPolls) showed 49% of leave voters having sovereignty as their main reason for voting. Immigration came in at 33%.

10 minutes ago, ROGER DUNN said:

In a very short time frame the EU will be no more . Just another embarrassing moment in German Blunders [ as it always happens to Dictators.

Many TV members have been predicting similar things for several years now yet we are still waiting to see any of these EU disaster scenarios unfold. 

Ah, good old Sgt Rock. I do hope he is well, and not too disillusioned with the way things have turned out...

20 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

Yes, the only paper in the UK with an annual ethical audit ensuring that they remain unbiased, if you think there is misinformation in the Guardian they are actually one paper who wants to hear about it. And what do your read anyway?

They got rid of the "hot babes" chatlines but the bias - nosiree - not by a long shot.

23 minutes ago, whatsupdoc said:

Glad you're optimistic about the pound rising again. With the economic chaos after a 'no deal' I wouldn't be.

Brexit will hurt the UK economy badly; job losses are inevitable and even more when companies decide to move to the EU.

The UK already buys on the world market (although in many cases under the umbrella of EU trade deals which will be better than the UK can get).

EU nationals will leave if they feel their position is insecure.

Those bureaucrats in Brussels make laws that benefit the EU (on the whole at least). That's why 27 countries are relatively happy to be part of the EU.

Further integration can only happen if it is supported by the member countries. Steamrollers or not.

You make a lot of bold statements there. Can you substantiate any of them with fact? (Please, not with more speculation)

7 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

The biggest poll taken after the referendum (AshcroftPolls) showed 49% of leave voters having sovereignty as their main reason for voting. Immigration came in at 33%.

These numbers sound sensible. 

As an American looking in- just a few comments and observations.

- The Uk was strong before  joining the EU and will be strong after leaving the EU. The UK is the 5th largest economy in the World; has a strong military and a very educated population .

- Many UK citizens are tired of seeing their culture changed; their culture diluted and an assault on British traditions . Many of the foreign entries into Britain have tried to change British culture when they should be accepting it.

-  Why should another Government- the EU- be allowed to tell the UK how to run its internal policies; dictate regulations and budgets and generally act as if there exists a United States of Europe.  Many UK citizens see a loss of sovereignty

-Britain will never give up the pound as its currency and has continually resisted the EU from forcing the Euro on the British.

-The EU has expanded  too much and is too large and this is not compatible with individual governments programs for its citizens.

-The unfettered movement of different nationalities across the Euro zone has caused lower wages; lost productivity and resentment.

The most important point is the the citizens of the U.K. have voted to leave the EU and this has to be respected.  History will determine if it is the right choice.

16 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

Just a moment ago you liked a comment that accepted geography connects us with Europe but claimed that we are separated by politics, culture and history.  Now you are accepting that we are connected through politics, culture and history but claiming that we are sperated by geography.  Funny.

It was me who claimed that we are separated by history, etc.

2 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

Do you even know how Lord Ashcroft comes up with his results?  He doesn't conduct any polls, he buys results from other polls, keeping his sources secret, then he publishes a result he has added up, there is no way of assertaining whether or not he has chosen to fudge the numbers or not as the sources are kept secret, that is why his poll has been dropped from the poll of polls. 

5 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Many TV members have been predicting similar things for several years now yet we are still waiting to see any of these EU disaster scenarios unfold. 

Ah, good old Sgt Rock. I do hope he is well, and not too disillusioned with the way things have turned out...

It will take years but not many Brexit-type events will be necessary for this to happen.  

2 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

- The Uk was strong before  joining the EU and will be strong after leaving the EU. The UK is the 5th largest economy in the World; has a strong military and a very educated population .

- Many UK citizens are tired of seeing their culture changed; their culture diluted and an assault on British traditions . Many of the foreign entries into Britain have tried to change British culture when they should be accepting it.

-  Why should another Government- the EU- be allowed to tell the UK how to run its internal policies; dictate regulations and budgets and generally act as if there exists a United States of Europe.  Many UK citizens see a loss of sovereignty

-Britain will never give up the pound as its currency and has continually resisted the EU from forcing the Euro on the British.

-The EU has expanded  too much and is too large and this is not compatible with individual governments programs for its citizens.

-The unfettered movement of different nationalities across the Euro zone has caused lower wages; lost productivity and resentment.

The most important point is the the citizens of the U.K. have voted to leave the EU and this has to be respected.  History will determine if it is the right choice.

God Bless America (not kneeling)! :smile:

2 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

You understand the issues far better than a large minority of my countrypeople.

Just now, Kieran00001 said:

Take it up at their ethical audit if you think you have some evidence, otherwise it is just hot air.

I gave up reading it, Kieran. It is as purposefully biased as the Mail is on the other side.

3 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

It was me who claimed that we are separated by history, etc.

Yes, I know, I said that they liked your comment, but then they went on to accept that actually we are connected in these respects, and having just liked your comment which accepted that we are connected by geography, then they went on to claim that it is the distance that separates us, they just don't seem to even know what it is that they believe.

6 minutes ago, Billy Bloggs said:

Im not British either but a bloody hell of a lot of my ancestors were, just on 1 point alone it was a winning situation, you dodged having a giant migration quota and open borders.

Strange that half of our immigrants come from outside of the EU and are our own choice to allow in then, isn't it?  Truth is we need immigrants and will continue to invite them.  And remember, we didn't have open borders, that was our one exemption when joining, we got to remain in control of our borders, we chose to open them later, nothing actually to do with the EU but a UK parliamentary decision.

8 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

Do you even know how Lord Ashcroft comes up with his results?  He doesn't conduct any polls, he buys results from other polls, keeping his sources secret, then he publishes a result he has added up, there is no way of assertaining whether or not he has chosen to fudge the numbers or not as the sources are kept secret, that is why his poll has been dropped from the poll of polls. 

Then provide some evidence to support your unsustantiated claim that immigration was the main issue. All I can find to support it is a biased (as usual) Indy interpretation of a broad-sweeping survey.

I voted remain, I could see from the very start that leaving the EU was a very bad idea, the British public were basically lied to by the leave campaign about 350 mil a week going to the NHS, Immigration controls etc etc.

Now we are beginning to reap the non benefits of leaving, the pound has flunked, so all us ex-pats are affected, the City of London will be no more, it will end up in Europe somewhere and all those jobs and the Billions of pounds in revenue that it generates every year will be going to somewhere in Europe, already consumer confidence is dipping, consumer spending is lower, new car registrations are plummeting, productivity is going down, look at house building !! 

Very soon unemployment will start to edge up and with reduced taxes being paid to the Treasury - income tax, VAT, Corporation tax etc etc very soon the UK will go down the pan.

A bleak outlook I know and I would dearly loved to be proved wrong but sadly I don't think I will be.

Well, it took as long as it did, because the people were never asked before.
If the will of the people was put to a vote tomorrow it's just as likely there's be a yes vote.

The `will of the people' is much over rated.

Its a funny thing how 51% on a given day of voters to bother to turn up becomes the will of the people.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

I've just told you!

You don't need 100% turnout; you just need a majority of the electorate to force through major change.
In many countries there's a higher threshold for turnout and also for passing a referendum.

Before I didn't agree with it but seeing the hopelessly divided UK I can see how it makes sense.

I've just told you!

You don't need 100% turnout; you just need a majority of the electorate to force through major change.
In many countries there's a higher threshold for turnout and also for passing a referendum.

Before I didn't agree with it but seeing the hopelessly divided UK I can see how it makes sense.

Look at the unemployment figures of Europe and those of the UK just as an example.
Europe is 27 countries, there's not one monolithic place called Europe.

Some parts of the EU are much more prosperous than the UK and some not.

No surprise there.

8 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

I voted remain, I could see from the very start that leaving the EU was a very bad idea, the British public were basically lied to by the leave campaign about 350 mil a week going to the NHS, Immigration controls etc etc.

Now we are beginning to reap the non benefits of leaving, the pound has flunked, so all us ex-pats are affected, the City of London will be no more, it will end up in Europe somewhere and all those jobs and the Billions of pounds in revenue that it generates every year will be going to somewhere in Europe, already consumer confidence is dipping, consumer spending is lower, new car registrations are plummeting, productivity is going down, look at house building !! 

Very soon unemployment will start to edge up and with reduced taxes being paid to the Treasury - income tax, VAT, Corporation tax etc etc very soon the UK will go down the pan.

A bleak outlook I know and I would dearly loved to be proved wrong but sadly I don't think I will be.

images (36).jpg

The UK is ploughing bundles of cash into the EU yet other countries can retire earlier. Tax systems are different for those who like a drop of vino.....Greece folk can dodge taxes with a smile from authorities cos they are all at it...Plus the UK don't get an afternoon siesta.....:sad:
This is why letting people vote on things when they don't understand the massive benefits of being in the single market and customs union far outweighed any contributions from the UKm

Yes the UK contributed substantial contributions to the EU but it was more than made up for it in being able to trade freely in the world's biggest single market.

Something that the city of London took full advantage for example.

23 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

You make a lot of bold statements there. Can you substantiate any of them with fact? (Please, not with more speculation)

Just to clarify (to alleviate your confusion whatsupdoc):

Why are job losses inevitable (unemployment in the UK has fallen spectacularly since the referendum)?

Which companies will leave the UK?

Why would EU trade deals (with all their restrictive practices) be better than more open UK ones?

Why would EU workers in the UK feel insecure? The government has covered this.

3 hours ago, stephenterry said:

You miss my point. It's not the will of the people. It's the will of 37% of the people.

Yes it was the will of the people, who are you to say, those who din’t vote,would have voted with you.

Archived