SURVEY: Brexit -- Good or Bad Idea?

Scott

SURVEY: Brexit -- a Good or Bad Idea?  

345 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, whatsupdoc said:

Apart from Yingluck maybe, which foreigner would want to buy a house in xenophobic Little England?

Following the crash of the pound with the Brexit result, there was a 50% increase in foreign enquiries for London properties, a 20% reduction in price is clearly attractive to investors, and already 32% of all London properties are to foreign buyers, 50% of sales of over 1 million.  The majority of interest is from China and the Middle East.  Foreign buyers will prevent property devaluing as the pound devalues causing an already difficult housing situation to become all the more difficult for British people.

1 minute ago, Kieran00001 said:

Following the crash of the pound with the Brexit result, there was a 50% increase in foreign enquiries for London properties, a 20% reduction in price is clearly attractive to investors, and already 32% of all London properties are to foreign buyers, 50% of sales of over 1 million.  The majority of interest is from China and the Middle East.  Foreign buyers will prevent property devaluing as the pound devalues causing an already difficult housing situation to become all the more difficult for British people.

I stand corrected about the interest of foreign buyers in UK property. Thank you for the information. My point was that all people that I know that voted for Brexit did so because of immigration issues. And reports in the Guardian indicated to me that quite some EU citizens do not feel welcome in the UK anymore since the vote.

I think it is not wise for UK citizens to let the immigration concerns overshadow the economic consequences of Brexit.

1 hour ago, stephenterry said:

Well, the government did, because they stated it was the will of the people. 

We are best revoking Article 50, and then planning an orderly exit, if that's the government's thinking. At the moment the UK has to leave, March 2019 whether there is or isn't an agreement in place. 

Well that's an EU Treaty Rule which the UK should abide by to show what a good member state it is.

4 hours ago, vogie said:

What with dimwits like Juncker, he was not voted in, so he cannot be voted out, do we have to wait untill he dies before we see any change. 

It seems to me you don't even know recent history. Mr. Junker was voted in. He won an election with a majority over Martin Schulz, the SPD German candidate.

5 minutes ago, nauseus said:

I must nominate the above post for the TV GOTYA 2017! (Gibberish Of The Year Award):crazy:

Ignorance on your part does not translate to gibberish on mine.  Airbus was forcefully divided up between a few countries in the EU to prevent any single country having a complete airplane manufacturer that could be adjusted in war time for war machine manufacture.  As has been Rolls Royce Aircraft Engines through their parts manufacture in Europe and BAE through their dependence on Alenia Marconi and Leonardo SPA.  It was going to be a much bigger merger between Airbus and BAE which would have made a single European capability, but that was abandoned.

3 minutes ago, whatsupdoc said:

My point was that all people that I know that voted for Brexit did so because of immigration issues.

No. You would be incorrect whatsupdoc krub. I voted for Brexit because; while happy to remain in just a 'common market'; I did not want to see many of the 'unions' the EU wanted to force on the UK (i.e. combined military, combined currency, combined laws, etc.,) - implemented krub.

1 minute ago, abrahamzvi said:

It seems to me you don't even know recent history. Mr. Junker was voted in. He won an election with a majority over Martin Schulz, the SPD German candidate.

I must have been out that day, did you vote for him, I didn't. Oh wait a minute 26 people voted for him, hardly democracy at it's best. Even David Cameron at the time said "if Juncker gets in, the UK may as well leave the EU", what vision, what hindsight.

11 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

But does not belong to Europe in any other sense than a geographic one. Geography is not politics, culture or history.

We share politics, culture, and history with Europe.  Our democracy was inspired by Greece, our culture is a mix of Scandinavian, Germanic and French, and our history involves being conquered and colonised by mainland Europeans, obviously we are as European as they come.

4 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

Ignorance on your part does not translate to gibberish on mine.  Airbus was forcefully divided up between a few countries in the EU to prevent any single country having a complete airplane manufacturer that could be adjusted in war time for war machine manufacture.  As has been Rolls Royce Aircraft Engines through their parts manufacture in Europe and BAE through their dependence on Alenia Marconi and Leonardo SPA.  It was going to be a much bigger merger between Airbus and BAE which would have made a single European capability, but that was abandoned.

What are you talking about? Airbus was multinational from conception.

1 minute ago, Kieran00001 said:

We share politics, culture, and history with Europe.  Our democracy was inspired by Greece, our culture is a mix of Scandinavian, Germanic and French, and our history involves being conquered and colonised by mainland Europeans, obviously we are as European as they come.

I don't like spaghetti....ashamed-smiley-emoticon.png.92e4652dbbdbf7f9311206b4de975c8f.png

49 minutes ago, whatsupdoc said:

Still waiting for a good reason why Brexit is such a fantastic idea... I mean one that compensates for the fall in the value of the pound, the expected job losses, rising prices, educated EU workers leaving the NHS, etcetera.

Personally, I see only one advantage; that it will be cheaper for Europeans from the continent to have a holiday in the UK :smile:

Do you regularly correspond with George Osborne?

2 minutes ago, marginline said:

No. You would be incorrect whatsupdoc krub. I voted for Brexit because; while happy to remain in just a 'common market'; I did not want to see many of the 'unions' the EU wanted to force on the UK (i.e. combined military, combined currency, combined laws, etc.,) - implemented krub.

I respect your reasons. And honestly, I do not know that many people who voted for Brexit but was a bit shocked about their stance on immigration and that being the main reason to vote to leave.

41 minutes ago, whatsupdoc said:

Still waiting for a good reason why Brexit is such a fantastic idea... I mean one that compensates for the fall in the value of the pound, the expected job losses, rising prices, educated EU workers leaving the NHS, etcetera.

Personally, I see only one advantage; that it will be cheaper for Europeans from the continent to have a holiday in the UK :smile:

Yes there has been a fall in the value of the £,  however that will rise again after we are finally out.

Expected job losses. Do you mean to the same level as in many E.U countries.

Rising prices,that always happens, although the price of imported food will be lower, as we will be able to buy on the world market,and not from those inefficient French farmers. 

No need for educated E.U nationals to leave, if we have vacancies.

We will though, be able to make our own laws. Laws that will be for the benefit of the British people, and not for those unelected bureaucrats in Brussels.

We will not be steamrolled into further political and military integration.

4 minutes ago, nauseus said:

What are you talking about? Airbus was multinational from conception.

Sorry, they wanted to come together into one country but they were prevented from doing so, much the same anyway, political interfence with the goal of preventing war.

24 minutes ago, whatsupdoc said:

I stand corrected about the interest of foreign buyers in UK property. Thank you for the information. My point was that all people that I know that voted for Brexit did so because of immigration issues. And reports in the Guardian indicated to me that quite some EU citizens do not feel welcome in the UK anymore since the vote.

I think it is not wise for UK citizens to let the immigration concerns overshadow the economic consequences of Brexit.

I feel very sorry for you if you do read the Guardian. How misinformed can you be?

13 minutes ago, nontabury said:

Yes there has been a fall in the value of the £,  however that will rise again after we are finally out.

Expected job losses. Do you mean to the same level as in many E.U countries.

Rising prices,that always happens, although the price of imported food will be lower, as we will be able to buy on the world market,and not from those inefficient French farmers. 

No need for educated E.U nationals to leave, if we have vacancies.

We will though, be able to make our own laws. Laws that will be for the benefit of the British people, and not for those unelected bureaucrats in Brussels.

We will not be steamrolled into further political and military integration.

Glad you're optimistic about the pound rising again. With the economic chaos after a 'no deal' I wouldn't be.

Brexit will hurt the UK economy badly; job losses are inevitable and even more when companies decide to move to the EU.

The UK already buys on the world market (although in many cases under the umbrella of EU trade deals which will be better than the UK can get).

EU nationals will leave if they feel their position is insecure.

Those bureaucrats in Brussels make laws that benefit the EU (on the whole at least). That's why 27 countries are relatively happy to be part of the EU.

Further integration can only happen if it is supported by the member countries. Steamrollers or not.

1 minute ago, Surasak said:

I feel very sorry for you if you do read the Guardian. How misinformed can you be?

Yes, the only paper in the UK with an annual ethical audit ensuring that they remain unbiased, if you think there is misinformation in the Guardian they are actually one paper who wants to hear about it. And what do your read anyway?

24 minutes ago, abrahamzvi said:

Voted in by the eu parliament, NOT by the general public!

18 minutes ago, marginline said:

I'm pretty sure that the busload of opinion polls taken after the referendum showed that immigration was far from the most important issue.

20 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

Maybe so,but 21 miles of sea separates us from the mainland of europe.

1 minute ago, Khun Han said:

I'm pretty sure that the busload of opinion polls taken after the referendum showed that immigration was far from the most important issue.

Oh I'm sorry Khun Han, I didn't know that I wasn't entitled to an opinion on this forum krub. I guess you're right then. Well done, now go get your prize!

Archived