Best seat advice for my flights

NotWhatItWasnt

I'll be traveling to Thailand on a China Southern airlines Boeing 787 Dreamliner (Flight time 11:20 hours)

Has anyone traveled on one of these planes and if so, any advice on which seat to pick for sleeping during the flight,  seats to avoid, any advice really.

The short haul part of the journey from Guangzhou to Suvarnabhumi (Flight time 2:50 hours) is a Boeing 737-700 plane any advice for this one, good leg room and getting off the plane quick at Suvarnabhumi so as to avoid a long wait at customs.

TIA 

For me I always pick an aisle seat close to the back of the plane that is not far from the loos. On 4 out of my last five flights to and from Thailand I have had at least one seat free that was next to me and in two cases, most of the row was free.

15 minutes ago, gjoo888 said:

Other than 1st or business class, I like window seats for sleeping. You don't have to get up every time someone in your row needs to use the toilet and you can use the pillow to rest your head against the wall. 

That is my pick also...but then I am 5'6' (ha! On a good day). So, I curl up, eat, watch movies and nod off, getting up only 2 times on a long haul to walk 2 laps and use the bathroom. For someone "grownup", they would not be happy (I'm guessing).

The Dreamliner is a great plane to fly although I don't know the specific configuration

of China Southern. As for picking a seat to sleep I choose the window. I don't go to the

bathroom much and I like to lean against the window in peace. Of course exit rows

are usually worth the extra as long as they can still recline. Enjoy the flight as best you

can and of course the trip. 

11 minutes ago, steven100 said:

I ALWAYS FLY FIRST CLASS ....  That way your guaranteed not to have any screaming kids or drunken Aussie idiots near you.

steven you having a bad day?

Drunken Aussie idiots !! ouch !! not nice to say that.:post-4641-1156693976:

I always fly first class, well lucky you, most folk not that rich.

Going back to the original post - if you want to sleep an aisle seat is not a good idea, you could end up with two incontinent persons next to you. Again in regard to sleep, keep away from toilets and galleys. As has been suggested, go to the Seatguru web site for seat specific info.

14 minutes ago, steven100 said:

I ALWAYS FLY FIRST CLASS ....  That way your guaranteed not to have any screaming kids or drunken Aussie idiots near you.

No All idiots are aussies and not all drunken  people on planes are aussies,  wash your mouth out , and engage your brain before making false statements,,,,or better still come up with some facts to support what you are saying.....

My vote would be 42C, 42H, 42A, 42K, 42D, 42G in order of preference, then the middles on 42, assuming you can get them. I value leg-room vs. width. (These seats are narrower owing to the side-mounted tray.)

Often if you simply join the the airline's FFP you can associate this seat type (exit row/bulkhead) with your PNR (rez #), or you can get these by ringing the airline (call in the country where the flight is originating). That said, Chinese airlines often keep these for the day of departure. 

I'd go for the exit row on the 737 too, if you can get it. CZ seems to have at least four (4) 737 configs so try the CZ PNR management capability to see what's what via self-seat-selection.

4 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Okay back to the subject:  I like the Exit Doors, normally the door seat - but on one flight, I requested the exit seat and it turned out to be a non-reclining, half seat.    I worry more about drunk Arabs that are prohibited from drinking in their own country - they can't handle booze as they are not used to it.

9 hours ago, NotWhatItWasnt said:

The short haul part of the journey from Guangzhou to Suvarnabhumi (Flight time 2:50 hours) is a Boeing 737-700 plane any advice for this one, good leg room and getting off the plane quick at Suvarnabhumi so as to avoid a long wait at customs.

Unless you are flying Business or premium on this leg you are not going to be that close to the front. If you want leg room and can get an exit row seat when you book in you will be even further back however this may not matter - see below.

When I used to fly this route regularly I was sometimes able to get the seat right at the front of economy - on the bulkhead which was ok for leg room which meant I could get out ahead of most of the hoard.

It has been a while so may have changed but most of the flights ended up with getting on a bus off the plane to be taken to arrivals. The trick there is to stand close to the door to get out quicker and get ahead quickly usually to a narrow escalator. Your wait at customs will depend more on what other flights are due in around the same time.

58 minutes ago, colinneil said:

I always hire a private zeppelin, with a ballroom, dining rom and first class berths. Orchestra included. It takes 8 days to get to Europe, and costs two million euros, but heck, it is so worth it. :)

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

Thanks for your important input about your travels. We all enjoy knowing. Doubt seriously OP would be asking about seat selection for sleep if he always flew first class 555. 

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

Note to self.

Stop flying first class. It's a long shot but could end up in the same cabin as Steven.

Sleeping in cattle class is not easy, you may doze off a few times, but that will be it unless you are very small.

I always take an isle seat so I can get out a few times to stretch my legs and get a beer when the service is slow.

Seatguru will give you more information on the individual planes as the cabin configuration varies with every airline.

On check in you can also ask if they have seats with empty seats next to you, some are nice enough to block a seat next to you.

At some airlines you can bid for that or even a whole row.

Never take a middle seat!!!

steven100

Not sure what airline you use but the wife and I also fly first class.  Unfortunately, you still have the screaming and crying children as well as the drunks (and not Aussies).  Love to know what airline you travel?  Only difference we see is the food/drinks, smiles from staff and comfort of the seating.  You still get your fair share of BS to put up with. Ohhh...and Fxxxxxx selfie sticks!

If flying economy the seating is 9 seats in a row, 3 left, 3 center and 3 right. The rear 2 rows are 2, 2, 2. In this configuration, the best seats for sleeping without having to let others out, would be the window seats or the middle seat in the center section. Myself, I prefer an aisle seat in the center section. In the aisle seat, only the middle seat will disturb you. I fly solo and usually, the other 2 seats are occupied by a couple. If the middle seat passenger becomes a habitual offender disturbing my sleep, I ignore them which trains them to exit into the other aisle. 

You can go to China Southern website to view seat chart.

4 hours ago, steven100 said:

Hold on to that thought. It may be of comfort to you when you have a screaming kid or drunk idiot of any nationality near you in first class.

I'm not aware of too many airlines that have a first class nowadays. Business class in new aircraft is just as good, if not better, than older aircraft with first class. That's why some airlines have dropped it.

I can remember flying first class from Tokyo to London. Some American decided to demonstrate what a mover and shaker he was by conducting several loud conversations on the aircraft phone to his buddies in Texas, about real estate deals they had going in Houston. Went on for several hours while everyone was trying to get some sleep. I'll bet most of the Brit passengers were thinking of something that rhymes with anchor. I was.

Back on topic, a window seat is best for sleeping unless you need reasonably frequent toilet breaks. Then it's an aisle seat. A middle seat is the worst of both worlds.

1 hour ago, mekongsailor said:

787:

The problem as with many maps is that they show pitch "31-33".

33 is acceptable. 31 is for the small ones.

Anyway it is clear that noise level in front (before the engines) is lower than in the back.

Least bumpy are seats over the wings (also in the mid 30s here).

For me: seat in rows 33 to 39, on the center aisle (D or G) would be fine.

If you are a good sleeper with a strong bladder: window seat.

On 20/10/2017 at 7:50 AM, AboutThaim said:

Must start flying first class with my screaming grandkids and get legless just to annoy the crap out of Steven.  

And if they dare fall-asleep, just give them a poke, to wake them up again !  :smile:

Or load them up in the departure-lounge, on sugary-sweets &drinks, for maximum-effect ?

An unkind person would consider giving them new toy-trumpets or drums, to play with en-route ! :laugh:

On 10/19/2017 at 10:22 AM, hoffy66 said:

No All idiots are aussies and not all drunken  people on planes are aussies, 

I think Steven was just tongue in cheek hoffy66, he knows that there are plenty of Kiwi's on most planes now days.......:wub:

If it is a  Dream-liner then it will narrow down to just 2 side seats  for the last 3-4 rows at the back, with more space, dont get the very last--it may not recline.....most people are aware of this and they usually are booked out well in advance.

Archived