Ex British Royal Marine running for the Great Rama IX says sorry to the Thai people from his hospital bed - but he will make it to Hua Hin even if he has to walk

webfact

@chippendale- I'm just curious as to why you're so negative as to what I was trying to achieve here?

I've done nothing negative during this event and all I've tried to is help raise some funds for a government hospital in Bangkok. A hospital I'm more than frequent with.

I managed to achieve 330k in 4.5 days; please be my guest and let me know how that feels once you've cracked it!

I'm not the first and I certainly won't be the last person to experience an injury during the event they've been training a long time for. Not so sure how much you know about sports injuries and persons having to DNF during events but it's actually quite common.

The article you see in this forum has gathered its information from other/various sources. It is very misquoting and parts are incorrect, however I still don't expect this amount of negativity!

As for the completion part, as soon as I can secure my health in order that I won't suffer organ failure whilst banging K's out, well that will have to wait I'm afraid.

Have a nice evening.

NardRunner

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, NardRunner said:

@chippendale- I'm just curious as to why you're so negative as to what I was trying to achieve here?

I've done nothing negative during this event and all I've tried to is help raise some funds for a government hospital in Bangkok. A hospital I'm more than frequent with.

I managed to achieve 330k in 4.5 days; please be my guest and let me know how that feels once you've cracked it!

I'm not the first and I certainly won't be the last person to experience an injury during the event they've been training a long time for. Not so sure how much you know about sports injuries and persons having to DNF during events but it's actually quite common.

The article you see in this forum has gathered its information from other/various sources. It is very misquoting and parts are incorrect, however I still don't expect this amount of negativity!

As for the completion part, as soon as I can secure my health in order that I won't suffer organ failure whilst banging K's out, well that will have to wait I'm afraid.

Have a nice evening.

NardRunner

You're doing something good, that you believe in, and challenges you mentally and physically. Well done.

Ignore the haters and negativity on this forum, this forum has a bunch of people, possibly more than any other Thai centric forum, that generally have nothing good to say about most things, and like nothing better than having a good moan.

You are a winner, regardless of running or walking or finishing, this lot are a bunch of losers.

Have a nice day and I wish you all the best.

Edited by thaiguzzi

13 hours ago, chippendale said:

Unlike him, at least I can finish what I started. I don't end up in hospital with wrist injuries.

Please tell us all what you have started and fin ished for anybody other than yourself>

3 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

You're doing something good, that you believe in, and challenges you mentally and physically. Well done.

Ignore the haters and negativity on this forum, this forum has a bunch of people, possibly more than any other Thai centric forum, that generally have nothing good to say about most things, and like nothing better than having a good moan.

You are a winner, regardless of running or walking or finishing, this lot are a bunch of losers.

Have a nice day and I wish you all the best.

The only thing bigger than the mouths of the haters and negatives on this forum is the empty space between their ears.

As my Mum used to say. Empty vessels make the most noise.

Good for you Bootie and keep on.

From an old fat ex crabfat.

On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 9:25 AM, Briggsy said:

He clearly was absolutely not well prepared. Beware of people who describe themselves as ex-......

When did he leave the Marines? 15 years ago. How long was he in? 6 years or 6 weeks? What has he done since leaving the Marines? Window cleaner doesn't paint the same picture, does it?

The myth that he was "trying to do something positive"needs to be examined, for all these endurance charity attempts.

Is the Sirirat Hospital underfunded?

What scrutiny of the use of funds will occur?

Why cloak the whole thing under the name of the late King?

Why not just write a cheque?

What auditing of monies received versus monies paid out will occur?

There are many more avenues to follow.

I am sorry if you don't like these difficult and probing questions, but as soon as I encounter people hiding behind the "charity shield", "the religious shield" and "the respectable establishment shield", my levels scepticism increase. Mr Maynard has employed all 3 shields in the story!

He may well be a nice chap but it is not necessary to do what he is doing to give money to Sirirat Hospital. His motives must stretch to other areas. A challenge, seeking physical fitness, a free holiday, a wish to be praised, a desire to appear in the press, something to do, boredom,........

Gone a bit quite now Briggsy.

Your "surmising" was not very correct was it?

Eating humble pie yet?

And all your "likers".

I'd suggest a public apology would be in order, but nah, don't think you've got the balls.

On Saturday, October 21, 2017 at 1:31 PM, billd766 said:

Do you know him personally then?

Have you even met him?

Fake Royal Marine is he?

Milking a hospital for medical care is he?

Contributing nothing to charity is he.

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/thenard1664

The Great King's Home Run is being carried out in Memory of His Majesty the Late 9th King of Thailand, Bhumipol Adulyadej.

In doing this run, I have decided to serve 2 charities:

The Royal Marines Charity and Siriraj Government Hospital in Bangkok 

I served as Royal Marines Commando for 15 years. I left the Corps 5 years ago with no regrets but I miss it and every man I served with immensely.

All I can say about your post is that you are talking cr&p from where the sun doesn't shine on your body.

As for Briggsy

quote "

n 20/10/2017 at 9:25 AM, Briggsy said:

He clearly was absolutely not well prepared. Beware of people who describe themselves as ex-......

When did he leave the Marines? 15 years ago. How long was he in? 6 years or 6 weeks? What has he done since leaving the Marines? Window cleaner doesn't paint the same picture, does it?

It took me less than 2 minutes on Google to find out about his service. How long did it take you?

How long did you serve in the military?

I served as Royal Marines Commando for 15 years. I left the Corps 5 years ago with no regrets but I miss it and every man I served with immensely.

What a liar!

Christopher was in the

Royal Marines
June 1996 - August 2010 (14 years 3 months)

Not 15 years!

@NardRunner

Improvise, Adapt & Overcome, you know the routine Royal, get it done.........................:thumbsup:

You will finish what you started, of that I have no doubt and here is hoping that your stumble won't prove me (or yourself) wrong.

Kudos Buddy to yourself and your team.

8 minutes ago, billd766 said:

How long were you in the Marines, or any military for that matter?

He is probably one of those special warriors....think they are called Keyboard Warriors 

On 24/10/2017 at 3:57 PM, Wilsonandson said:

What a liar!

Christopher was in the

Royal Marines

Not 15 years!

He was in the Royal marines for 15 years - count them ...

Year 1: 1996

Year 2: 1997

Year 3: 1998

Etcetera ...

Year 15: 2010

On 24/10/2017 at 3:57 PM, Wilsonandson said:

What a liar!

Christopher was in the

Royal Marines

Not 15 years!

Perhaps 3 years 9 months in parent unit then transfer over, perhaps 3 months basic 6 months parent unit then transfer over, lots of scenarios, maybe boys service prior, who knows.

22 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Perhaps 3 years 9 months in parent unit then transfer over, perhaps 3 months basic 6 months parent unit then transfer over, lots of scenarios, maybe boys service prior, who knows.

I joined the RAF as a Boy Entrant on 28th January 1960 and my last official day was 23 May 1984.That comes to 25 years, however my 22 year engagement did not start until my 18th birthday on 23rd May 1962.

So how long did I serve?

52 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I joined the RAF as a Boy Entrant on 28th January 1960 and my last official day was 23 May 1984.That comes to 25 years, however my 22 year engagement did not start until my 18th birthday on 23rd May 1962.

So how long did I serve?

Depends how long with the colours if you want to add that in as well.

Well done Royal, get well soon and finish the job, one of my best mates is an ex Bootneck and he could have used some help from your RM Charity due to PTSD from the Falklands, I've been here for 6 years now and lost touch with him so I hope he's okay, last I heard he was having some treatment/help/counselling. Good luck mate you can do it. 

On 10/19/2017 at 11:13 PM, Briggsy said:

Every week, from somewhere around the world, there is a story of a Brit attempting some marathon sail/run/walk/crawl across a nation/continent/polar ice cap/ocean/mountain (range) for charity who then

i) lands him/herself on the local health service/helicopter rescue/coastguard

ii) costs more in rescue and health care costs he/she ever raised

iii) is lauded as a hero

Running in the tropics and becoming dehydrated is not heroic (I run here, I know); Climbing Snowdon in a Superman outfit and getting hypothermia is not heroic, .....   It is unprepared, it is selfish, it is stupid.

This is not the 19th century. The Empire is long since gone. The globe is no longer charted by Englishmen in pith helmets marching over tiger-infested hills. These people who demand rescue and care from others are just doing it for the own ego. The charity hero bit is simply a cover and a further ego boost.

Yes, please follow up your nasty little rant and eat some humble pie! People do good and whining little old boys with chips on their shoulders just cannot help themselves by pissing all over everything. If it's all for the 'likes', then, well, I could buy that.

6 hours ago, Morch said:

Thought it was a shot at the naysayers. Could be wrong.

On reflection, I think you could be right. Sometimes it's difficult to tell whether someone is being sarcastic.

In this case I find it very hard to believe that the poster, Wilsonandson, would call this former Royal Marine a liar for the sake of a few months (easily explainable) discrepancy.

I will have to get my Sarcasm Meter re-calibrated.

2 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Yes, please follow up your nasty little rant and eat some humble pie! People do good and whining little old boys with chips on their shoulders just cannot help themselves by pissing all over everything. If it's all for the 'likes', then, well, I could buy that.

I'm not referring to this particular case but unfortunately such people do exist. If you ever have the chance, sit down and talk to some of the rescue teams who work in the area of Ben Nevis.

It is a fact that some do actually venture into areas that can turn from a mild sunny day into a deadly situation in 10 minutes. A fair percentage who are rescued have the attitude 'that's what the rescue teams are there for'.

The rescue teams do the job because they want to no matter how they feel about about the ones they rescue and many of the teams are ex-forces.

As I said this is not a comment on the guy who is the subject of this thread, just my comment to try to find a mid-way between some of the extreme comments on either/both sides.

Edited by overherebc

On 10/20/2017 at 1:50 PM, Psimbo said:

Wow- some huge chippy shoulders in here. I wonder what any of them ever did for the betterment of others? Sad T****s.

There's nothing "chippy shoulders" about stating the obvious. The guy must have a screw loose to come up with a stupid idea like this.

9 hours ago, daveAustin said:

I have said nothing inaccurate nor nasty.

My admiration is for the health care workers who have to deal with the consequences. Well done, the nurses and doctors of Kampaeng Phet.