Boy, 13, dead as pickup slams into motorcycle head-on in Phuket

rooster59

14 hours ago, Headgame said:

Just because the motorbike rider was riding without a license or too young to get a license does not mean that the truck driver is not guilty of negligence. The negligent truck driver would not get a pass because he killed an underage rider. 

the kid SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN ON THE ROAD....and why was the kid out so LATE ??? A kid of this age should be tucked up in his bed.....!!

25 minutes ago, garbolino said:

the kid SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN ON THE ROAD....and why was the kid out so LATE ??? A kid of this age should be tucked up in his bed.....!!

It's the practicalities of Thailand he may have been out that late to do a number of things. A child has to died and you say it he is at fault. New low for Thai Visa

"Neither did he comment on whether it is legal for a 13-year-old to ride a motorcycle on a public road in Thailand."

Clear it's the truck driver's fault, but it's clear also that a 13 year old boy is not allowed to drive a bike publicly.

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/boy-13-dead-as-pickup-slams-into-motorcycle-head-on-in-phuket-64390.php#gjFU11VyyH8cDIWe.99

16 hours ago, TKDfella said:

Looking at the photo it seems that the pickup is on the LHS (or the bike on the right). The yellow line can be seen in the lower left along with reg plate of the bike. That would suggest the 13 year was on the wrong side of the road and not the pickup. The bike must also have been going fast since it's almost welded into the truck.

You may be right, I am just taking my observation from the article "This resulted in Mr Monchai failing to keep his vehicle in the lane and smashing head-on into a motorbike that was coming in the opposite direction."
Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/boy-13-dead-as-pickup-slams-into-motorcycle-head-on-in-phuket-64390.php#9bjjo3JwepAru8CM.99

Driving between Surin and Kamala Beach yesterday a group of 8 motorbikes, 2-3 per bike, traveling together, all with drivers about 12 years old. They were passing on curves at a high rate of speed, darting in and out. Not a single helmet. TIT 

22 hours ago, alant said:

A driver crosses over to the wrong side of the road and kills 13 year old rider of the bike!!! A little stunned for words.

Quiet normal here to drive on the wrong side of the road Trouble is it kills people and the cops do nothing about it

1 hour ago, Pinot said:

Driving between Surin and Kamala Beach yesterday a group of 8 motorbikes, 2-3 per bike, traveling together, all with drivers about 12 years old. They were passing on curves at a high rate of speed, darting in and out. Not a single helmet. TIT 

But hey were wearing there Amluts so they should be ok Where were the cops? Must of been a thai kick boxing match on somewhere

3 hours ago, garbolino said:

Dont worry his mum and dad were tucked up in bed no need for the son to be in bed Come on he is 13 and he can ride the bike

Headlines Headlines -----  Cambodia is not happy with Thailand. They have the killing fields of Cambodia which is  not being used any more and the killing has stopped but Thailand has gone one better It has the killing Roads of Thailand and is being used every day and the killing never stops.

6 hours ago, Dave67 said:

It's the practicalities of Thailand he may have been out that late to do a number of things. A child has to died and you say it he is at fault. New low for Thai Visa

A new low? It was a valid point. The practicalities of Thailand unfortunately rarely involve any common sense.

On 21/10/2017 at 2:19 PM, LivinginKata said:

14 year old = no drivig licence - but still the pick-up will pay the parents blood money.

Would the wrongdoing of the Pickup not have happened if the Motorbike driver would have had a drivers licence and a legal driving age? 

?

On 21/10/2017 at 2:29 PM, darksidedog said:

And the biggest reason why kids shouldn't be riding bikes, is that they just don't have the foresight or experience to realise other motorists won't always do what you expect them to. A more experienced older rider would probably have noticed the car swinging wide and adjusted accordingly. The photo shows this little fella never even saw it coming. RIP.

I am 56 and drive small and later Big Bikes since I am 13 too and cannot say with the facts known I could have avoided that accident!

Ting Tong! ?

18 hours ago, Dave67 said:

It was 2:40 PM so early afternoon ?

16 hours ago, Pinot said:

I drove between Surin and Patong many times since 1990 - different road then - with small and bigger bikes - same crazy too, with helmet at least - it got a little bit crowded now - but still fun.

?

22 hours ago, garbolino said:

Oh my. So those reasons leave you with zero empathy for the child?

If the driver was drunk and high on yaba, he should get a pass because the child didn't have a license, was out late and should have been tucked in bed.

Mr Monchai told the police that he was heading from the Heroines Monument. Having reached one of the bends on the road Mr Monchai felt pain in his neck and decided to reposition a pain-relieving plaster with one of his hands while steering with the other. This resulted in Mr Monchai failing to keep his vehicle in the lane and smashing head-on into a motorbike that was coming in the opposite direction.

The linked article paints a little different picture than some of the posts on here...

Who is to blame?

The motorist on the wrong side of the road coming around the bend? A very common occurrence in a country where driving standards are abysmal. We all encounter it every time we go on the roads here, even expect it and adjust our driving habits to avoid these idiots.

The unfortunate kid, who, judging by the damage was riding way too fast, and probably with the usual disregard for road rules and personal safety? Immaturity, lack of judgement and a lack of understanding of consequences are why children are generally not allowed to drive.

The parents, for allowing/assisting their child to ride on the roads?

The police, who fail in their duty to enforce rules designed to make roads safer for all users?  In fact they turn a blind eye to children riding like banshees everywhere on the Island. Their role seems to be to clean up the mess after the fact and organize commissioned payments for the aggrieved relatives.

The mafia, and powerful stakeholders who refuse to allow even a basic public transport system on Phuket which would remove many children from behind the handlebars?

All the above?

Is it just me or has anyone on here adapted to Thailand? This was a tragic accident but I am a visitor here so must accept the way it is. I am sure someone in Thailand died of a disease that doesn't exist in my country of origin. 

Anywhere parents should be aware of risks to the safety of their offspring and conduct themselves accordingly. That Thailand has a Buddhist/Karmic outlook on life is regrettable but one must adapt to live here. 

Driving is potentially the most dangerous activity humans engage in worldwide. Mostly we all do it and it has become so commonplace that some take it for granted that they don't have to pay attention 100% of the time, to their cost.

Edited by VocalNeal

Saturday coming back from Thalang, had just cleared Cherng Talay traffic lights and was going around the bend just before Tesco, A big Ducati with a rider in his 20s came screaming along in the other direction outside the line of traffic and if I hadn't swerved he would have been a hood ornament- needless to say he had no helmet on. Fortunately no one was on my inside as they would have been toast as well.

At the end of the day it's natural selection- how many people just shoot out of side Sois without looking. If parents allow their children to illegally blast around on bikes they bear the full weight of responsibility for any subsequent actions/effects. All very well blaming the other driver but the kid should not have been on the road in the first place.

As Pinot pointed out the local kids in Kamala are out of control and the BiB just scratch their erses as they are afraid of the local 'powerful people'- its all bullocks.

On 10/23/2017 at 11:39 AM, Psimbo said:

Saturday coming back from Thalang, had just cleared Cherng Talay traffic lights and was going around the bend just before Tesco, A big Ducati with a rider in his 20s came screaming along in the other direction outside the line of traffic and if I hadn't swerved he would have been a hood ornament- needless to say he had no helmet on. Fortunately no one was on my inside as they would have been toast as well.

At the end of the day it's natural selection- how many people just shoot out of side Sois without looking. If parents allow their children to illegally blast around on bikes they bear the full weight of responsibility for any subsequent actions/effects. All very well blaming the other driver but the kid should not have been on the road in the first place.

As Pinot pointed out the local kids in Kamala are out of control and the BiB just scratch their erses as they are afraid of the local 'powerful people'- its all bullocks.

some exageeration to your story I think,  Have you ever tried to ride a big bike fast with no helmet on?

3 hours ago, epicstuff said:

Have you ever tried to ride a big bike fast with no helmet on?

Yes, but only once or twice as a 16 yr old, once I did with my brother-in-law when we clocked up 100 mph on his Velocette Venom (admittedly down a big hill). 

Then an much older guy at my workplace told me how his son died without a helmet so I changed my ways.