Speed detectors not bought yet: Chayapol

rooster59

Speed detectors not bought yet: Chayapol

speed1.jpg

The Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department wants to buy laser speed detectors for effective enforcement of the law on speeding control, but the procurement process has not yet begun, said department director-general Chayapol Thitisak.

Mr Chayapol’s remark came after the department’s plan to buy 849 handheld speed detectors at the price of 675,000 baht each with a budget of 573 million baht has been widely criticised.  The money would be from the central fund of the 2017 budget.

Critics said the speed guns were overpriced.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/speed-detectors-not-bought-yet-chayapol/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-10-22

I remember pulling out of servo stop in Tak about 5 years ago and got pulled over 100 metres down the road by the BIB, he had the old radar gun and said I was doing 160 kph.  Geez our little Toyota Vios had great pick up.  Zero to 160 over 100 metres.

Oh, how tragic? The overpriced purchase that was going to make a lot of people unnaturally rich has been uncovered, so it is denial time and back to the drawing board. It will be interesting to see, given the scrutiny now on this, what the actual final purchase price will be. I somehow suspect the cost per unit is going to be rather dramatically reduced and certain peoples luxury item shopping list quite severely cut back.

It was all a misunderstanding klab....you no understand..

Same same Bangkok buses about which we don't hear anything anymore. It's almost a year ago since they "bought" them.

We got stopped once and had to pay for speeding (200 baht), i saw the policeman with that radargun but my wife didn't believe me....she didn't learn anything from it though. 

4 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Without the internet and then social media to discuss it these would have been purchased and the usual cronies 'unusually' enriched. 

Thais are facing a problem now where they are unable to steal and skim unmolested as they once were, so I fully expect more crackdowns on freedom of speech and the internet as we move further into the 21st Century. 

Indeed, it is the entire reason the defamation laws, *** and the Computer Crimes Act exist is to make open discussion illegal. 

so, however rotten you thought the country was, it is worse

5 hours ago, james.d said:

I just wonder how many previous purchases of such overpriced tools have sneaked through.

Plus, several times before the RTP have bought 'speed guns / radar guns but they were rarely seen.

What does that mean:

- Too difficult to use?

- Too difficult to set up?

- Too difficult to gain extra income?

- too much coordinating?

- Too much past usageadministraton?

- etc etc.

So why now the desire to buy such bulk quantities of speed guns?

And, has there been sufficient research into even better / newer technologies to catch speedsters, which possibly makes speed gun technology obsolete?

2 hours ago, Ossy said:

Overpriced? . . . they catch on fast. A good thing TVF's here c/w its whistle-blowers extraordinaire!

P1 & P2.jpg

Just love the photo with Prawit looking every bit like Quasimodo, the Hunchback of Notre Dame.

6 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Speed detectors not bought yet

So the purchase of said guns has stalled. Sounds like those charged with buying of the  speedguns have been sprung.

Prayut the Corruption Caped Crusader is on the case after having read the postings on TV News. Or it could be some high flyers have been left out of the commission loop.

3 minutes ago, Xaos said:

Lol
1000$ to 1600$

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

If Lol = learn one lesson, this shower will never learn and, what makes it worse, they don't appear to want to . . . not so much a shower - a total washout, more like!

17 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Price shouldn't be a problem, i.e. 1,700 fines at 400 baht per speeding fine pays for one radar detector, and I am sure they could rake that up in a week at best.

Ouch . . . that hurts!

18 hours ago, james.d said:

I just wonder how many previous purchases of such overpriced tools have sneaked through.

One noteworthy case was the purchase of the X-Ray machines for the then new airport, attributed I believe to our man in Dubai, and when these guys bump up the prices they are not shy at all !

Edited by phantomfiddler

Emphasis added to show that something is backwards about this purchase.

"Mr Chayapol said it was a median price quoted by sales representatives that meets the specifications of the speed detectors.

Although the purchase plan was approved by the cabinet on Oct 10, the purchase has not yet begun.  The department is still in the process of setting up a committee to draw up the specifications of the speed guns and terms of references (TOR)."

Edited by HarrySeaman