Navy vessels churning water in bloated Chao Phraya

webfact

Navy vessels churning water in bloated Chao Phraya

By The Nation

The Royal Thai Navy on Wednesday morning deployed eight vessels, including HTMS Marnvichai, in the Chao Phraya River at the Klong Lad Pho water control station in a bid to speed flow with the churning of their engines.

The effort underway at the station in Samut Prakan’s Phra Pradaeng district is aimed at averting flooding by getting water flowing more quickly towards the Gulf of Thailand.

The plan was put into effect after the release of water from the Chao Phraya Dam in central Chai Nat province was increased above 2,700 cubic metres per second.

That flow is expected to pass through Klong Lad Pho station at a rate of 29 million cubic metres a day.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30330083

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-10-25

12 minutes ago, tominbkk said:

Does this actually do anything?  I don't know physics very well but it doesn't seem to be in line with basic principles.  What say you guys?

It works ok with air in tunnels, I'm sure you've noticed the jet-engine like things mounted near the roof.

tunnel-ventilation-system-500x500.jpg

Just how it transfers to using boats and water ...

27 minutes ago, Crossy said:

It works ok with air in tunnels, I'm sure you've noticed the jet-engine like things mounted near the roof.

Reckon the fact that there isn't a twice a day mighty unstoppable 'tide' of air coming into the far end of the tunnel might play a part.

Why not use the harmless green dye they use/used to use in Chicago for St Patricks day to turn the river bright green and see how far the pushed water goes.

images (64).jpg

Edited by overherebc
Adding photo.

40 minutes ago, coulson said:

Will YL get praised for her administration coming up with this daft notion?

Can't wait to see how they will change the tides next.

IIRC it was originally the notion of someone who is no longer with us so its a great idea (even tho its not)!

Edited by Psimbo

There should be no reason why this wouldn't aid the flow as long as the tidal conditions are either at slack water or on an ebb tide and there is unrestricted access to the sea.

To try and assist the flow against an incoming tide would be like pushing against a wall, but the water would still have to disperse somewhere.

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Anybody have a spare five minutes to read this: 

https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/278722.pdf

Then calculate the dimensionless Reynolds number and reverse calculate the effect on turbulent water flow?

Crossy?

1 minute ago, Bob12345 said:

Will it work? 

Yes

Will it make a noticable difference?

No

And at what costs?

Man hours, fuel, pollution, etc.

It is like the old saying, that is all Chinese people jump at the exact same time, the Earth will actually be pushed a little out of its orbit.

True, but the Earth will also be pushed out of its orbit if I jump alone, just a whole lot less.

One huge obstacle is presently causing much damage to the flow characteristics in the floodwater in central Bangkok. The huge almost complete loop in the river ! This is drastically reversing the water flow energy, causing seriously higher water levels. A great expense surely, but the riverbed should be engineered to bypass this loop, leaving a huge area of land that could be filled and constructively used, and at the same time greatly improving the flooding situation.

1 hour ago, Psimbo said:

IIRC it was originally the notion of someone who is no longer with us so its a great idea (even tho its not)!

Careful you'll get locked up or banned or worse...............stupid idea but to be expected

It is all very well discussing whether or not revving up the LGBs (Large Grey Boats) engines on the river will help, there are other just as fundamental questions from the last major floods that must be asked.

I seem for example to remember that the brand of wellie boots favoured by the previous Prime Minister was a central theme of much criticism here, and one gathers largely responsible for that failure to reverse the forces of nature.  What sort of boots are being worn this time - we should be told!

Ain’t fluid dynamics great, folks? Of course it makes a difference...initially. But unless the entire volume of water is being moved - shore to shore by surface to river bed = the effect will be quickly absorbed, and the water will return to the speed at which the rest of the river is moving - within 50 to 100 meters. Now getting my popcorn and waiting for the replies LOL...

2 hours ago, tominbkk said:

Does this actually do anything?  I don't know physics very well but it doesn't seem to be in line with basic principles.  What say you guys?

For memory (from my undergraduate uni days), and the memory is a little rusty, using incompressible fluid dynamic principles, the impact on water flowing through Bangkok  would be insignificant.

What they are doing in Bangkok is a waste of time and money - but what else does the Thai military do?

27 minutes ago, noahvail said:

Ain’t fluid dynamics great, folks? Of course it makes a difference...initially. But unless the entire volume of water is being moved - shore to shore by surface to river bed = the effect will be quickly absorbed, and the water will return to the speed at which the rest of the river is moving - within 50 to 100 meters. Now getting my popcorn and waiting for the replies LOL...

Thanks, that is what I was thinking more or less but was unable to articulate.

36 minutes ago, noahvail said:

It will eventually be at the same speed as the rest of the water, true.  But you've added kinetic energy to the system (in the correct direction) so the whole system will be flowing faster.  Meaning the rate at which the water flows to the sea will be increased.

How much faster, and whether it's an effective solution will take more figuring than I've ever read here from any geniuses at TVF.  But suffice it to say that axial flow pumps (which is what a boat's propeller is) are a very widely used method of moving water around.

2 hours ago, Psimbo said:

Yes,it was called 1000 boats,a lot of negative,even vulgar posts appeared in ThaiVisa,mostly against minister of science.I can not understand why

ThaiVisa survived all of that?! It was obvious example of LM offence!

In fact I know: certain member Mr B. was scapegoat.Where is he now?