What tea do you drink in Thailand? Add cardamon to your black tea.

ghworker2010

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tea is the same as coffee, beer, wine etc, you drink the one that tastes nice to you. Everyone has different taste buds so they will all taste different to each person, personally I think earl grey is over rated, like many things its the name people go for. Found a great aussie tea when I was there a few years ago grown locally to where I was staying but as I am not a real die in the wool tea drinker I wouldnt chase it. Simply buy for your own taste, find one you like that is easily available and drink it, over here I tend to drink more of the local herb teas than named varieties although at times we do make one with tea bags just for a change, we dont chase a set brand though, whatever we find at tesco, big c or macro in small boxes of 25 bags and has a decent taste is fine. Be honest, this is like asking people what is the best tasting beer, too many answers

Edited by seajae

6 hours ago, Crossy said:

We drink Dilmah brand Celon tea from Makro, two bags in the pot, no milk or sugar, tastes fine even when cold.

That's a very good tea but Big C have another Ceylon tea called Heladiv 'Pride of Ceylon' which is very nice plus they also have an English breakfast tea that I bought but haven't tried yet and both are cheaper than the weak liptons.

6 minutes ago, Bill Miller said:

I confess! I have a box of Lipton yellow label bags.
Two bags to the pot, and served with half cream and a little sugar.
As I am only half Brit I might be excused this eccentricity.

And the other half? Yank?  Putting CREAM in your tea?

For a strong tea try Tieguanyin tea--- camellia tea with boiling water over

My favorite is China gunbarrel tea and jasmine green tea... these need water at about 80C or they will taste bitter... single malts of tea world

11 minutes ago, AboutThaim said:

He did say it was half-cream :tongue:

My Uncle John (now well into his 80s) always made tea with Nestlé "Ideal" milk and sugar. Sweet, syrupy and delicious.

When we got married back in the UK we went to see him, he made tea as usual with Ideal although I did persuade him to put only one spoonful of sugar in. It was still sweet, syrupy and delicious. A memory of 1960's summers at granny's house. Even Wifey "liked" it (ok she drank it).

IDEAL%20MILK%20ORIGINAL%20copy.jpg

The Sri Lankan teas are good value as noted.  Re. adding all the other novelty spices, perhaps occasionally, but not every day.  Cardamom is actually fantastic when added to mango juice.  I would never put it into a black tea.  Finally, do avoid adding cream and sugar to Japanese green tea, as I saw one hapless punter do.  It could induce coronary arrest in your Japanese hosts!

17 hours ago, cliveshep said:

When I have my kids and their significant others visit a requirement is they each bring a box of 480 Tesco Red Label tea bags

They sell them here in Tesco large stores. Not in big 480 boxes but 80 for about 90 baht if I recall correctly.

i have confessed to having a box of Lipton Yellow Label bags, but not really my preference. Just what is available after moving to a small condo; that and a few Twinings chamomile bags.
As a matter of course I enjoy a good Earl Grey, which depends on the quality of the black teas as well as the quality of the bergamot used.
I enjoy lapsang soochong when I can get it.
There are really few teas that I do not enjoy, though I have to say the subtlety of most white tea is lost on me.
Bought a few varieties at Boon Rawd Farm (Singha Park)in Chiang Rai. I think the oolong is the only one they grow there.

31 minutes ago, AboutThaim said:

Yes, Yank to my sometime shame. :smile:
My parents met in london during the war. He was a US Marine, and mum was a British Royal Marines Women's Auxiliary.

Edited by Bill Miller

I always start the day with a cuppa !!

I usually buy Tetley’s, Typhoo or even Tesco or Morrison’s Brand are good, did buy PG Tips about 6 months ago to replenish my stock but found them weak !, not as weak as Lipton’s though !!.

Am in the uk now and have got my stock ready to go, along with Bovril and Savoury rice ( the microwave version ).

I do like the Raming Green Jasmine tea bought from Big C and usually have a cup on an evening .

In the 10 years I've lived here I've brought back (or friends have brought over) t-bags from Tetleys, PG Tips, Typhoo, Yorkshire, & Tesco own label.  I've tried the locally bought Liptons Yellow label (just to see if it was as bad as everyone says - it was worse!!), and another type with the Union Flag on the box (that was equally bland).

For me, I prefer Tetleys - it's the only one I can get two reasonably strong cups from a single pot, all the other are much too weak.  I usually drink it with a little sugar and fresh milk (either full fat or fat free... no real preference).  I often add a dash of  whisky to give it a little extra flavor...  (A taste I got from my old grandmother, who died when I was just 8 years old, and I only remembered since living here).  I find the local Blend 285 is the best for this... literally just a teaspoon in a cup.... Beautiful... One pot each and every day taken around 2-3pm.

As an alternative I occasionally enjoy the local Thai "Blacks" brand.. It's the one that produces an orange coloured brew, a smokey, almost caramel flavor, which I prefer hot in the same way of the UK teas, rather than chilled with tinned sweetened milk the way the local Thais drink it..... but I get fed up with the drains blocking from the leaves if I drink it too frequently.

11 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Forgive him, he knows not what he does.

Please tell us you don't "boil" the water in the microwave.

Good grief, no! I use my stainless instapot. I would prefer a gas flame and kettle, but not available in my rented condo. :shock1:

3 hours ago, newatthis said:

At the moment, it's Twining's Earl Grey and English Breakfast....both black with no sugar. I brought a 100 teabags pack  of each back from Oz.. They were a lot cheaper; about 150baht a pack.

3 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

Sainsbury's earl grey own brand cupboard full . 

I think the Twinings Earl Grey is a better quality (though more expensive than Sainsburys own brand) but for some reason the Twinings sold in Thailand and other countries seems blander than that in the UK.

34 minutes ago, Crossy said:

He did say it was half-cream :tongue:

My Uncle John (now well into his 80s) always made tea with Nestlé "Ideal" milk and sugar. Sweet, syrupy and delicious.

When we got married back in the UK we went to see him, he made tea as usual with Ideal although I did persuade him to put only one spoonful of sugar in. It was still sweet, syrupy and delicious. A memory of 1960's summers at granny's house. Even Wifey "liked" it (ok she drank it).

IDEAL%20MILK%20ORIGINAL%20copy.jpg

That reminds me of the tea they brew (or at least, used to brew when I was there in the late '60s) in India. Tea leaves, sugar (lots), buffalo milk and water all went in a pan and were boiled up together. It sounds awful, but in fact it was a great brew. It was the normal way to drink tea on the street. It was only in 'HiSo' homes that you would get what they called 'separate tea', which was the English way of making the tea in a teapot and combining the tea, milk and sugar in the cup afterwards.

Here in Greece, it's only fairly recently (past ten years) that anything apart from Yellow Label (yuk) has been available. Now the supermarkets stock a good range from Twinings, Dilmah (?) etc, as well as a range of local herbal teas.

My first drink of the day is coffee brewed in one of those little espresso pots you cook on the stove, but the rest of the day I tend to drink tea, usually English Breakfast. Too much coffee gives me the jitters these days.

2 minutes ago, nisakiman said:

That reminds me of the tea they brew (or at least, used to brew when I was there in the late '60s) in India.

Oh yes, they still do it that way. Our Mumbai office invariably has a big vat of the stuff (with cardamom) on the go all day, it's the one thing the (veggie) canteen does that is palatable.

I used to be a strictly 'NATO Standard' man when it came to Tea, hot, strong & 2 sugars, but about 4 years back I decided to give up the sugar and changed from full fat to fat free milk, the one with the white top, I'm currently using Typhoo one cup - special blend T Bags, Since 0930 this morning till now I have had 6 large mugs and number 7 is brewing as I type :thumbsup:

I am a Brit. I’ll drink pretty much any good ‘standard’ tea blend from UK, including the cheap Tesco Red Label. The Lipton’s Yellow Label bags sold here are overpriced muck. I bring a half suitcase of teabags back with me every time I visit the UK - mainly Lapsang Souchong (Twinings) and Earl Grey (the Clipper Organic Earl Grey are better and cheaper than the Lipton’s regular). One Earl Grey teabag and one Lapsang in a pot makes three mugs of a great blend - very refreshing with a dash of skimmed milk

Jasmin tea whenever at PIL's place (quite often) - Chinese style, so maybe an acquired taste for some: bitter, hot and unnecessarily complicated to brew under FIL's tyrannical supervision. For some obscure reason, not allowed to have it other than at tea time. Asking for it once during breakfast was met by derision and scolding.

Whenever temperature drops (well..relatively) or the old throat hints of getting sore, out comes the hot ginger-lemon-honey drink, sometimes with tea as base (not idea which).

When visiting India (much less these days) always stock up on assorted teas, then watch their use-by date pass as they decorate the shelves. Nice boxes and packs, though.

Default is standard English Breakfast....we're more coffee people really.

I drink only the finest on the planet, which is Taylor's of Harrogate Yorkshire tea. If only i could have Yorkshire water and Yorkshire milk to go with it. it wud set me day off reet grand tha nos, sithee

I’m in Yorkshire now ‘avin a brew wiv the finest water and milk on the planet !!( just sayin’ )

( tried to post a photo but unable to , maybe TVF thinks I will be stretching the gloating limit ? )

44 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

’m in Yorkshire now ‘avin a brew wiv the finest water and milk on the planet !!( just sayin’ )
( tried to post a photo but unable to , maybe TVF thinks I will be stretching the gloating limit ? )

You can bypass the gloat-limit by resizing your photo to be less than 128kB.

Im also a Yorkshire Tea lover (Taylors of Harrogate) even though Im from Manchester lol, always bring in the big bags from Costco four at a time, I like a drop of Earl Grey also when the mood takes me... what!