Washing machine outside

Rc2702

Shortly moving and will be buying a washing machine but it appears the only place to put it is outside.

There is good shelter and the area where it will be is very clean.

Should I mount it?

Are there washing machines which are designed specifically for outside use?

Does an outside washing machine need more maintenance?

Anyone using a washing machine in this type of environment and got any tips or perhaps recommendations of brands?

Any helpful advice always appreciated.

No need to mount it. In Hawaii it was pretty common to have a washing machine outside under cover. Our washing machine here in Thailand is outside, under a covered area near our kitchen. Any brand will work we have a LG (cost about 13,000 baht). I recommend having a cover made for it to keep it from getting dusty between uses, besides that we have had no issues with keeping the washing machine outside since about 1993.

Buy one with sealed control buttons to stop rain water getting in. I had one and it got wet every time it rained, but no problems. Just keep the sun off it.

I laid a concrete slab to avoid water getting under it when I washed the patio, but you could just buy 4 pavers to put it on if not good at concrete.

It might be a good idea to put wire netting under it if there is no cover, to stop rats eating the wiring, but that would apply inside as well.

You might want to chain and padlock it to the wall to stop it "walking" while you are away.

Why would it need more maintenance as long as water can't get into the electronics?

I don't remember the brand, but it was a popular one. Never broke in 3 years.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

Our twin tub has always been outside, undercover, so no rainwater. A couple of times mice have chewed through the insulation on the electrics, but easily fixed, been running for about 10 years now, keep thinking time to replace it, but it just keeps on doing the job.

Do you have a Thai style kitchen outside? 

Of course it will be ok outside no need to mount it you can get enjoyment as it spins ?. If its one of those rubish automatic ones ensure you earth it using an earthing road to the earth wire. Unless of course your electric system is earthed correctly to all sockets. Or your enjoyment on spin could have quite a kick.

<deleted>

Edited by metisdead
Unknown acronym removed.

Most of the washing machines have a "mount" that you can buy to put it on ,also get a good plastic cover from the store ,(not one of the cheap tesco ones).our machine was outside for 8 years (the wife does not like it in the house to hot) our new machine has been outside for 4 years , make sure you have a proper electric plug point with a cover .

2 hours ago, Langsuan Man said:

Good luck getting a Thai to use any cover that you may buy for it;  we call it preventive maintenance, they call it a waste of time 

Guess I've "integrated". Above is one of the Mrs. standing complaints shot my way.

4 hours ago, i claudius said:

Most of the washing machines have a "mount" that you can buy to put it on ,also get a good plastic cover from the store ,(not one of the cheap tesco ones).our machine was outside for 8 years (the wife does not like it in the house to hot) our new machine has been outside for 4 years , make sure you have a proper electric plug point with a cover .

Do you have an image of the proper cover so I know what to look for please? 

Just now, i claudius said:

I dont but if you go to numchai store on Sukhumvit they sell tham about 700 baht.you can also get cheap ones in Tesco etc but they are rubbish

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Ok thanks. If anyone knows what iC Is referring to and you have a link or an image I'd really appreciate your input.

When I moved and bought a washer my gf wanted a “ two step “ machine rather than the “ one step “ or automatic as it’s what her mother has and something she is used to.( I didn’t argue as they are a lot cheaper )
The two steps seem like they are designed for outside use with a plastic body and sealed knobs.
They are a lot cheaper but okay ( IMO ) and widely available from LG, Samsung etc.
The only drawbacks being you have to manually fill the water level and move the load for the spin cycle.
IMG_3668.JPG

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

@Andrew Dwyer driving through a partly flooded village over the weekend there was one of those machines on a concrete plinth sticking out of the water, no roof or anything. Sadly the road was too busy to stop for a photo.

wife insisted on one of these twin tubs last time we got a new washer, she said they are much better than the automatic ones but ours is inside, I put in a laundry tub etc so she didnt have to wash outside. 

1 hour ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

When I moved and bought a washer my gf wanted a “ two step “ machine rather than the “ one step “ or automatic as it’s what her mother has and something she is used to.( I didn’t argue as they are a lot cheaper )
The two steps seem like they are designed for outside use with a plastic body and sealed knobs.
They are a lot cheaper but okay ( IMO ) and widely available from LG, Samsung etc.
The only drawbacks being you have to manually fill the water level and move the load for the spin cycle.
IMG_3668.JPG

Hi Andy

Thanks that is interesting. Any idea about the electrical covers spoken of in this thread?

Does look like they are better prepared for the outside. Good input thanks.

5 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

Hi Andy

Thanks that is interesting. Any idea about the electrical covers spoken of in this thread?

Does look like they are better prepared for the outside. Good input thanks.

Not sure about " electrical " covers ? doesn't seem like there's any way for an animal to get in but must admit i hadn't thought about it too much, i was gonna buy a plastic dust cover but don't think it will get used.

Have a look at Big C or Tesco, we got ours from Big C , around 6 or 7k for the 14kg variety (14kg wash, 13kg spin ), Big C had more options.

They are bigger than the automatic version , but as ours is outside no problem, also appears that the twin tubs are mainly plastic and automatic ones are painted metal (there may be exceptions ) so more care needs taking with those with regards to rusting.

Mine is outside but under a covered area, it was getting rained on a little so i put a polycarb canopy up to fix that but my MIL's is open to the elements and doesn't look to suffer other than the colour fading.

3 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

Ok thanks. If anyone knows what iC Is referring to and you have a link or an image I'd really appreciate your input.

If you buy from one of the big chains they will offer you a cover. I bought from Powerbuy and they had 3 different sizes and i managed to get it chucked in for free, mind you the machine was a bit pricey.

Regarding the electric cover i believe it refers to the plug socket. It should be a proper outside socket and these have a hinged plastic shield to protect it from the elements.I would think if the property is fairly new any outside supply would be of this spec.

On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 2:08 PM, Rc2702 said:

Do you have an image of the proper cover so I know what to look for please? 

Just run it inside to plug in. It is a big NO NO to have an ordinary plug outside if rain can get in it. I've never seen a proper waterproof electric plug/ socket here.

I enclosed mine with some plastic hose to stop rats eating the cable. Earthing is of course essential.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 4:31 PM, Andrew Dwyer said:

IMG_3668.JPG

Are those knobs waterproof? My machine was all push button with continuous plastic over them, so completely waterproof.

My wife was the first stage for my washing machine as she insisted on doing it by hand before putting it in the auto machine. I could never convince her it was unnecessary.

17 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Are those knobs waterproof? My machine was all push button with continuous plastic over them, so completely waterproof.

My wife was the first stage for my washing machine as she insisted on doing it by hand before putting it in the auto machine. I could never convince her it was unnecessary.

Yes, they seem pretty well sealed .

My gf also seems to think she has to pre-wash everything before putting in the machine !

On 10/30/2017 at 1:43 AM, 473geo said:

Our twin tub has always been outside, undercover, so no rainwater. A couple of times mice have chewed through the insulation on the electrics, but easily fixed, been running for about 10 years now, keep thinking time to replace it, but it just keeps on doing the job.

"been running for about 10 years now"

About time you stopped it then, your clothes should be clean by now.  They may have shrunk a bit though.  And gone out of fashion...

On 10/30/2017 at 3:01 PM, Andrew Dwyer said:

IMG_3668.JPG

...and easy to repair (and cheap). Buttons are not waterproof.

Edited by ravip
add

6-1/2 years on, my LG toploader (around 8,000 baht at TESCO as I recall) that sits on my balcony in the full Thai sun for 6-7 hours a day is a little sunburnt, but nowhere near where it affects the functionality.  If I add up all the covers I'd have burned through, and the cumulative hours that I'd spend caring for, removing and replacing the cover, I'd say that do-nothing was the right way to go.

Just a thought from the other camp...  I fully expect something in the guts to crap out if I stay in Thailand long enough, and well before the sunburn affects the functionality.

Edited by impulse