Monk defrocked after being arrested for drunk driving in Pattaya

webfact

Monk defrocked after being arrested for drunk driving

By The Nation

A Buddhist monk has been defrocked after he was arrested for drunk driving in Pattaya early on Tuesday.

Police found Phra Phaisal 59, whose layman's name is Phaisal Punthong, driving a car at an intersection in South Pattaya at 12.10am on Tuesday.

The monk appeared drunk and his blood alcohol test showed 183 mg/dL.

He said he came from his Wat Chai Magalaram in Pathum Thani's Lam Lukka district to visit a relative in Pattaya.

Police took him to be defrocked at the Wat Tham Samakkhi in South Pattaya.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30330457

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation Full story:

One monk defrocked within a few hours because of a single DWI/DUI/DD charge whilst hundreds of others that are guilty of far worse offenses against their status including actual serious crimes get a free pass.

New t-shirt coming out, "Good monks go the temple, Bad monks go to Pattaya"

You know in this life u think certain people keep certain standards. I regard Monks as holy people and maybe i have to get this idea out of my head they are all good people There was a Prime Minister of Australia who was always drunk but held his face well. John Gordon One day he went to visit the aircraft carrier off Vietnam during the war there. He came out of helicopter that landed on the deck of this ship and nearly fell over he was so drunk His body guard grabbed him and propped him up Off went the cameras so the Australian public could not see that had a drunken Prime Minister So this monk being drunk nothing surprises me anymore. He was taken away Defrocked and no more said Monks keep there image and so does the prime minister of Australia.

2 hours ago, Emster23 said:

And what did the police do regarding his drunk driving? Let him go?

As a matter of fact they drove the car with a policeman behind the wheel, defrocked and brought the cat to the station and ex monk to a guesthouse. (source: Channel 7) I think he needs to appear in court ,but not sure i heard correctly

Edited by hgma

On 31/10/2017 at 10:16 AM, Nemesis7 said:

Such monks are bringing shame to the genuine and real monks who are truly practice with sincerity .

Just what percentage of monks are "genuine and real monks who are truly practice with sincerity".

Suppose everybody has their own opinion, but IMHO the only way forward for Thai Buddhism is to end short time monks and bar those evading the short arm of Thai justice system, have a  probationary system where wannabe monks spend six months or more as novice monks and let the community decide how many monks their local temple has.