Aussie woman’s birthday trip to Thailand a ‘holiday from hell’ after horror scooter crash

webfact

4 hours ago, speckio said:

I find it interesting that Thailand is the top deadly destination for Aussies traveling abroad.... and Australia is the country known as everything in Australia wants to kill you. 

Let me get this straight...these people have the wits to thrive in a place where everything is trying to kill them, but have a hard time surviving in the land of smiles!!!?????

Quite simply those people aren't in the parts of Australia where things try to kill you, otherwise they would be dead.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Poor Lady I hope they get her home soon.

I have never understood why anyone from Aus comes here, they have everything over there and the beaches are clean and the water safe to swim in, if you avoid the sharks. Bike renters here do not care, its gives us your money and passport and off you go, but try getting the passport back if there is a problem. PS it is illegal to handover your passport as a guarantee.

But I ask you who in their right mind wants to visit a country with the record of the worlds deadliest drivers and a police force who themselves are scared to go out and do there job of policing traffic, Must be those dam drivers they are scared off.

Talking about the ladies here as we know why most of the guys come.

Simple solution would be all travel insurance companies to have a section in red ink stating you are not covered while riding a motorcycle,  no need to mention helmets or licence, however so many people would react to that, it's my choice' and then start online please need cash to get home after they have been stupid enough or drunk enough to do it.

Make it law to have the 'red ink' statement in policies and pay no attention to the bike rental companies who complain. If they get upset then make it against the law to let someone rent a bike without them issuing a local insurance for the rental period.

I might wake up soon but it's been a good dream.

Edited by overherebc

I broke my leg too on my 30th birthday in Thailand. Full UK bike licence for many years and plenty of power bikes and motorcrosses in the UK.

I had no insurance here, drunk as hell. Was thrown in the back of a song teaw by 3 locals and taken to Pattaya memorial hospital. Cost 55,000 baht to screw and plate back together. Out in 3 days and back on my way home in 6. 

It doesn't matter if your Valentino Rossi these roads are dangerous and need to take very good care. 

Edited by misterphil
Wrong subject

1 minute ago, misterphil said:

I broke my leg too on my 30th birthday in Thailand. Full UK bike licence for many years and plenty of power bikes and motorcrosses in the UK.

I had no insurance here, drunk as hell. Was thrown in the back of a song teaw by 3 locals and taken to Pattaya memorial hospital. Cost 55,000 baht to screw and plate back together. Out in 3 days and back on my way home in 6. 

Whats all the drama about with this Ozzy chick? 

Read the article, its a little more than a just a broken leg.

“It was completely torn apart, her knee and shin bone was fully exposed and her flesh and calf muscle [were] lying on the road and [she] lost a tremendous amount of blood.”

"Ms Markham said doctors at Vachira Phuket Hospital said the flesh in Ms Liddle’s injured left leg was “dying” and amputation was possible".

It doesn't matter if your Valentino Rossi these roads are dangerous and need to take very good care. 
Particularly dangerous when drunk as hell. To other road users too. When I'm on my bike one of the big risks is drunk drivers

12 hours ago, InMyShadow said:

Unfortunately most tourists have never sat on bike in their lives before renting a scooter here. Sad story and even if she had insurance it's probable to exclude bikes

All insurance would exclude bike accidents unless the rider has a valid license and was wearing a helmet, and most only cover bikes to 250cc.

im guessing this idiot had neither a license, wore a helmet or had insurance.

Damned lucky she wasn't killed. Someone went under the wheel of a bus a few months ago. He didn't survive.

'In Thailand, where Ms Liddle had her crash, road accidents are a growing concern for authorities ...' I know Thai authorities aren't the quickest action models on the planet, but 'a growing concern'? 

41 minutes ago, cat handler said:

All insurance would exclude bike accidents unless the rider has a valid license and was wearing a helmet, and most only cover bikes to 250cc.

im guessing this idiot had neither a license, wore a helmet or had insurance.

'im guessing this idiot had neither a license, wore a helmet or had insurance.' I'm sure she appreciates she was idiotic, but how many Thai motorcyclists on the road are fully legal, do you suppose? Or even partially legal? And I doubt a helmet - which she might very well have been wearing - would have helped her leg much.

13 hours ago, DavisH said:

Does she have a motorbike licence? I'm sure she wouldn't do the same in Australia. When will these companies stop renting bikes to those who have no idea of how to ride a bike, especially in a foreign country. Even rules such as "Right of way" also has a different interpretation here. 

It isn't up to the rental company to nanny a customer. People have to take responsibilty for their own actions.

13 hours ago, Happy enough said:

"While Ms Liddle took out insurance before her trip, it appears her coverage does not insure her against this incident"

would be interesting to know why. most people know to make sure their insurance cover motorbikes when in thailand as chances are you are going to get on one at some point and well, the RTA figures speak for themselves. I have heard of people having insurance whether travel or expat where travelling on motorbikes was covered but they wouldn't pay out if you weren't wearing a helmet even if on mototaxi or your driving licence didn't cover you to ride motorbikes that kind of thing. at the end of the day most insurers are going to look for a way not to pay

that said, very unfortunate. one of so so many every year

It isn't that insurers are looking out for a way to pay it is that motor bikes makes insurance expensive for everybody.

My travel policy with Aviva is sensible. It excludes motor bike from the main policy but you can purchase it as an additional item for bikes up to 75cc. Anything over 75cc you can still purchase so long as you have qualified as a motorcyclist.  That seems fair.

What is it with all farangs in Thailand who just ignore the reality and the dangers of Thai roads ?

What is it with the western media not to publish frequent warnings to unwary tourists in their homelands ?

Wish the poor woman a proper recovery and not to loose her leg.

14 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:
15 hours ago, InMyShadow said:

Unfortunately most tourists have never sat on bike in their lives before renting a scooter here. Sad story and even if she had insurance it's probable to exclude bikes

And she probably didn't have a licence, so that would invalidate any insurance even if bikes were covered.

The main problem is that tourists ride bikes for fun and don't treat it seriously as a way to get from A to B.

5 hours ago, misterphil said:

Yeah, don't drink and ride and your chances of an accident drop 100 fold. You deserved what you got - did you hurt anyone else?... or were you too drunk to remember?

Edited by tropo

While I feel for the poor women I have to comment .....

On another nine.com.au news article she said ' She has ants crawling all over her in the hospital. It’s absolutely disgusting and the beds are rusting '

Well .....  what is disgusting is that fact you jumped on a rental motorbike with no motorbike license, no accident  insurance for motorbikes.

*  note to all Australians before coming to Thailand  :   Make sure my insurance covers motorbike accidents   !!!

Even at age 18 I would never ride scooters or motorbikes in Southeast Asia. My goodness, I mean even in Japan, mostly a car society like the U.S., it can be dangerous. I worked at a university campus where a Japanese woman professor injured a student on a scooter. I did rent a scooter or motorbike on Koh Samui but that was in 1987 when it was undeveloped.

3 minutes ago, Dustdevil said:

Even at age 18 I would never ride scooters or motorbikes in Southeast Asia. My goodness, I mean even in Japan, mostly a car society like the U.S., it can be dangerous. I worked at a university campus where a Japanese woman professor injured a student on a scooter. I did rent a scooter or motorbike on Koh Samui but that was in 1987 when it was undeveloped.

So much drama... It's not the scooter or motorbike, but the rider that makes it safe or not. It's safer here than in Australia IMO because you are more vigilant and always expect the worst (and in my case keep my speed low), whereas in Australia the worst is unexpected. I did break quite a few bones on a motorbike in Australia years ago.

If you look at how most Thai people ride them, it's surprising there aren't a lot more accidents. BTW, I've been riding motorbikes in SEA (Thailand & Philippines) for nearly 20 years. it's not surprising that a lot of tourists have accidents if you observe how they ride around, having crazy fun without any experience. It's a game for them.

17 hours ago, DavisH said:

Does she have a motorbike licence? I'm sure she wouldn't do the same in Australia. When will these companies stop renting bikes to those who have no idea of how to ride a bike, especially in a foreign country. Even rules such as "Right of way" also has a different interpretation here. 

The companies do because they can and nobody stops them. Obligatory insurance at time of rental may be an answer, which likely would obligate a licence check. I just believe the tourists should be responsible for themselves and not make it the renters responsibility.

Might has right of way here....had a large coach give me no heed whatsoever only yesterday, the drivers are atrocious in their haste and arrogance.

17 hours ago, Thian said:

Didn't she even have a motobike driverslicense and insurance?

In that case the renter of the bike is responsible as well.

You could also suggest that the people who rent the bikes check for both, although not being familiar with a foreign country's traffic patterns  is obviously a factor. The fact that Thailand is rated #2 regarding accidents does NOT put the blame solely on tourists.  Traffic violations occur from both natives and tourists- my observation is that the former is more a factor than the latter.

4 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

The companies do because they can and nobody stops them. Obligatory insurance at time of rental may be an answer, which likely would obligate a licence check. I just believe the tourists should be responsible for themselves and not make it the renters responsibility.

Might has right of way here....had a large coach give me no heed whatsoever only yesterday, the drivers are atrocious in their haste and arrogance.

Oh please..either you check for license and insurance or you do not. This is not rocket science.. There are "marginal" drivers everywhere- people who should not even get behind a wheel. But at the very least, rental operators should check license and insurance. It is NOT up to prospective renters of motor bikes - especially in a foreign country, to understand all of the particulars of that country.  I could give many examples of "negligence" and lack of safety precautions.  When there are too many deaths in "Paradise", one has to figure out where the fault lies. And I assure you that I always entertain many variables- particularly if alcohol  is involved. Not always cut and dry.

4 hours ago, NCFC said:

It isn't up to the rental company to nanny a customer. People have to take responsibilty for their own actions.

So you are saying that tourists should automatically have knowledge  of liability laws in a foreign country? "Nanny"?   How many tourists have been nailed by natives violating traffic rules?  I defer to others who have more IQ.

11 minutes ago, TMNH said:

Oh please..either you check for license and insurance or you do not. This is not rocket science.. There are "marginal" drivers everywhere- people who should not even get behind a wheel. But at the very least, rental operators should check license and insurance. It is NOT up to prospective renters of motor bikes - especially in a foreign country, to understand all of the particulars of that country.  I could give many examples of "negligence" and lack of safety precautions.  When there are too many deaths in "Paradise", one has to figure out where the fault lies. And I assure you that I always entertain many variables- particularly if alcohol  is involved. Not always cut and dry.

Well you are wrong wrt Thailand and it IS up to prospective renters to have some self responsibility. After all only THEY know whether or not they carry sufficient insurance or hold a valid motorcycle licence.  If they don't, perhaps they should stay home and not come here to break the laws.

I recall listening to an English tourist arguing with the police because he had been rented a bike without an IDP and was summarily being fined... he too felt it was the responsibility of the person renting out to police him and tell him the regulations, quite silly.

9 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

NOT true. Not sure what country you are from but in the UK, all bar one policy I looked at covered it as standard but there are clauses, helmet required, bike driving licence required, max 125cc is common, max alcohol level in blood stated.

It is true for many.  I have bought several different ones in the past.  And as you point out, a bike driving license is required which bites many in the butt when they try to file and claim

5 minutes ago, TMNH said:

So you are saying that tourists should automatically have knowledge  of liability laws in a foreign country? "Nanny"?   How many tourists have been nailed by natives violating traffic rules?  I defer to others who have more IQ.

You are now simply insulting people who have a different opinion. I say those coming here not knowing the dangers of renting and driving are the ones with suspect IQs.