When did you last eat lamb chops?

ghworker2010

Yesterday I started looking (for the first time) in the frozen food section of Top supermarket at good old Robinsons. I decided to buy 2 packets of frozen lamb chops. To my surprise they were really delicious. I cooked cous cous and also roasted potatoes / pumpkin. 

The 4 lamb chops cost me a total of thb370 which is steep but worth it once in a while. If I buy a couple of steaks from the fresh meat area of Tops it would be around 150baht. By comparison eating lamb is expensive but I think I will start having it once a month. It reminds me of living back home. 

When did you last eat lamb?

cheers

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Must have been around last new year.

Makro (sometimes) has some frozen leg of lambs and other parts (Khon Kaen region).

You didn't mention where (which region) you went shopping?

Some two years ago good frozen lamb chops were available in Pattaya (Naklua) at Belucky.

590 per kilo.

No idea what the price is today.

Three out of four of my Thai family love it BTW.

It was 1977, a dark and stormy eve. We had just put up the horses for the night and were retiring our saddles to the barn before retiring to the mess tent. The sound of a bleating lamb told me that the mint jelly was in good stead this night.....

Edited by tonray

I had some at the Shangi-la in Chiang Mai recently as part of their Sunday buffet which I think cost about 1200B. They weren't very good though.

Prior to that, over the last 4 or 5 months, I had them at several hotel buffets in Bangkok where they were much better, as indeed was the food generally for about the same price or less.

Prior to that I had them at the Siam@Siam buffet in Pattaya at the beginning of the year, where they were good. About 700B.

Did a 3 kilo leg of lamb last weekend from Makro in Lampang was delicious and have a few lamb steaks in the freezer.Our Makro also has lamb shanks. Yes its a bit expensive but its nice to treat your self. Tops also had some mint jelly in to go with lamb. Happy dayz..

Lamb chops. Love Em. I from New Zealand so eat a lot of them and roasted leg of lamb.

i live most of the time in Khon Kaen. I go to Makro and buy frozen packs of NZ loin chops and legs of lamb and boneless packs of shoulder. They are cheaper than I pay in NZ. I buy a few and put them in my freezer.

360bt kg.

also the best bacon. 260kg. American Streaky and English middle. Fantastic tasting. Bacon buttys with an egg many mornings. And the once or twice a week for dinner, Bacon, Eggs & Chips, Bet your all liking your lips.

I get lamb from Makro every week.  Chops and boneless cuts and even ground lamb.  I make Indian and Greek dishes and chili with it usually and occasionally burgers as well.  I have found it to be the tenderest most delicious meat here.  While you are in Makro buy some frozen naan bread and the following ingredients:

Meiji plain yogurt large

Small cucumbers

Dill

Lemon

Garlic

Grate two whole small cucumbers and salt them in a colander.  Let the salt draw out the moisture for a few minutes and squeeze out all water you can.  

Crush 3 garlic cloves and chop a small bunch of dill and add these to the strained cucumber.  

Add this mix to the yoghurt with a squeeze of half a lemon. 

Salt (carefully as you already salted the cucumbers) and pepper to taste. 

Mix in a bowl and return the mixture to the store yogurt container (yes it will fit).  Chill overnight. 

The next day spoon liberally over your toasted naan with grilled lamb with fresh chopped tomato and onion.

13 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Must have been around last new year.

Makro (sometimes) has some frozen leg of lambs and other parts (Khon Kaen region).

You didn't mention where (which region) you went shopping?

Some two years ago good frozen lamb chops were available in Pattaya (Naklua) at Belucky.

590 per kilo.

No idea what the price is today.

Three out of four of my Thai family love it BTW.

The wife and I bought a leg of New Zealand lamb from Makro in Nakhon Phanom last Christmas when there was no turkey available. It cost about 900 baht, but I am sorry to say that it was very poor and I wouldn't buy it again. The writing on the package was tiny and I couldn't find the sell-by date, so it is possible that it had been in the freezer for a long time.

problem is in Thailand most of the so called lamb is actually mutton, you can taste the difference, I grew up on a sheep farm, we always killed two tooth for ourselves to eat, more taste than lamb and not as strong as mutton. I have only found one place to get real lamb here and that is from an online shop, all the inferior meat is sent here from overseas in most cases, was pleasantly surprised when I tried this shop, forequarter roast was great although I did have to trim a bit of fat off it. Refuse to pay what they ask for loinies & some other cuts, I eat those when I am back in Australia

Try the brunch at the Mantra on Beach Road in Pattaya....yoo pick out the meat and the Chef grills the tasty chop right before your hungry and greedy little eyes and growling stomach....mint jelly on the side and Bob is your Uncle! [emoji57][emoji39][emoji106][emoji106]
Sounds great. They can also cook them for you at big c for the cheaper Charlie's

Usually have lamb at least once a week. I buy a fresh vac packed Aussie or NZ leg. Cut it in half. Have the knuckle end as a roast and bone out the fillet end for a curry of cut into lamb steaks. Whole leg is around 600-800 baht so works out pretty good value for 4 or more meals. 

Chops have come down in price and the fresh NZ loin and cutlets from Big C extra eat well. I bought a whole fresh NZ best end all ready to roast whole tomorrow.  Again about 700 baht and easily enough for 2 with roast potatoes, veg and gravy. You only live once. 

IMG_9465.thumb.JPG.e3b3b73a6513a5410d0fa03b35fbbcfe.JPG

If you live near Korat, Surin, Nong Ki, Khon Kaen etc there's a guy has lamb chops, roast, sausage, mince as well as very good beef, sausages plus other goodies. His web site nookiesdelights.3baht.net quality good prices very reasonable.

If in Pattaya a business there has it also, it's site primefoodservice.net

Both much cheaper than outlets in Bangkok & supermarkets.

1 hour ago, ThaiWai said:

Still drinking juice boxes and eating chicken nuggets for breakfast, lunch and dinner also?  

Nope - don't eat chicken, or Md's

either but would include lamb chops in the same category.....

My Grandmother was a fabulous french cook & a table that could seat 16 had every type of food that her Wedgewood & kitchen could conceive.....Lamb was just one of the many choices.....I didn't care for it - too much good stuff on that old oak table (which my oldest daught now has).....

Always have Australian/NZ beef steaks and lamb chops in the freezer, bought from Makro. Eat lamb at least once a week. Wife occasionally buys a lamb leg sliced into steaks. Very tasty. I won't buy a steak in a restaurant here.

I didn't retire here to eat just pork ribs and old rooster legs for the rest of my days.

Edited by Old Croc