Trump will not visit DMZ during Asia trip: official

webfact

Trump will not visit DMZ during Asia trip: official

tag-reuters-1.jpg

FILE PHOTO: U.S. President Donald Trump listens during a briefing on hurricane Harvey recovery efforts in Dallas, Texas, U.S, October 25, 2017. REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque/File Photo

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump will not go to the heavily fortified demilitarized zone (DMZ) on the border of North Korea and South Korea during his Asia trip, a senior administration official said on Tuesday.

"The president is not going to visit the DMZ. There is not enough time in the schedule," the official told reporters in a background briefing.

Instead, Trump will be the first American president to visit Camp Humphreys, a military installation south of the South Korean capital of Seoul.

"We thought that would make more sense in terms of its messaging, in terms of the chance to address families and troops there," the official said.

U.S. Defense Secretary Jim Mattis visited the demilitarized zone that divides the Korean Peninsula last week and Vice President Mike Pence made the same trip in April.

The official, speaking on customary condition of anonymity in briefing reporters, noted the two Trump administration forays to the zone.

"It's becoming a little bit of a cliche, frankly," the official said.

Trump leaves for his first trip to Asia this week.

(Reporting by Doina Chiacu and Steve Holland; Editing by David Alexander and Susan Thomas)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-11-01

Not too sure what a trip to the DMZ would have achieved anyway. It was a photo op engineered for some reason known to those who engineer such things.....presumably to amplify the drums of war. A bit like Clinton coming under fire in Sarajevo or not!

2 minutes ago, retarius said:

Not too sure what a trip to the DMZ would have achieved anyway. It was a photo op engineered for some reason known to those who engineer such things.....presumably to amplify the drums of war. A bit like Clinton coming under fire in Sarajevo or not!

Such a small bit like Clinton coming under fire that one has to wonder why bother to invoke it at all? 

42 minutes ago, punchjudy said:

what a coward

"The president is not going to visit the DMZ. There is not enough time in the schedule," the official told reporters in a background briefing."

'The president is not going to visit the DMZ. There is not enough time in the schedule. We made damn sure of that', more like...

Edited by baboon

If Trump had have arranged to go to DMZ, you can be pretty certain that all the anti-Trump brigade would have been calling it a hostile confrontational action with the intention of intimidating NK

"Whys he going there for "

"No need for him to go there" blah blah blah

34 minutes ago, sanemax said:

If Trump had have arranged to go to DMZ, you can be pretty certain that all the anti-Trump brigade would have been calling it a hostile confrontational action with the intention of intimidating NK

"Whys he going there for "

"No need for him to go there" blah blah blah

Thats' so untrue! I would have said "have a nice trip and I hope you never come back".

PS. There's never really any reason to ask why the man-child does anything as the only thing he cares for is himself.

2 minutes ago, Becker said:

Thats' so untrue! I would have said "have a nice trip and I hope you never come back".

PS. There's never really any reason to ask why the man-child does anything as the only thing he cares for is himself.

That really does prove my point .

Whatever Trump does, the anti Trump brigade will give him abuse .

If he does something : Abuse for doing it

If he doesnt do something : Abuse for not doing it

Sad state of affairs

The madman with his finger on the nuclear weapons button will be so disappointed. ..............Sorry let me start again that statement is open to misinterpretation...............The short N Korean fat one will be disappointed, I am sure he had the troops oiling up all the artillery pieces in anticipation of firing 60 000 shells onto the DMZ during Trumps photo op.

4 minutes ago, Andaman Al said:

..............Sorry let me start again that statement is open to misinterpretation...............The short N Korean fat one will be disappointed, I am sure he had the troops oiling up all the artillery pieces in anticipation of firing 60 000 shells onto the DMZ during Trumps photo op.

That could well be true.

27 minutes ago, sanemax said:

That really does prove my point .

Whatever Trump does, the anti Trump brigade will give him abuse .

If he does something : Abuse for doing it

If he doesnt do something : Abuse for not doing it

Sad state of affairs

Well, he earned it.

2 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I do think that people should be judged on their actions, rather than just receive constant abuse for everything 

I think he is judged on his actions, few as they actually are, and that he lost the right to complain about abuse long ago.

2 minutes ago, Morch said:

I think he is judged on his actions, few as they actually are, and that he lost the right to complain about abuse long ago.

Posters are being abusive about Trump because he isnt going to DMZ, they would also been abusive about him, had he gone .

People need to decide whether they think that he either should have or should not have gone and then be either in agreement or disagreement with his decision

41 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Posters are being abusive about Trump because he isnt going to DMZ, they would also been abusive about him, had he gone .

People need to decide whether they think that he either should have or should not have gone and then be either in agreement or disagreement with his decision

I completely agree that Trump would get hit with abuse regardless if he chose to go visit the DMZ or not.

I contend that he earned this sort of treatment on the merit of his actions and the abuse he himself hurls in all directions.

People don't need to decide anything. He's making a mockery out of the presidency, and he gets treated the same way he treats his term in office. What you give is, is what you get.

Yes, exactly. He's basically barfed all over the presidency. He's degraded the office and degraded the entire country. The damage he's already caused has the potential of being permanent. The only rational response to such a force of evil is total disdain, total disrespect, and of course resistance with whatever tools that are left. 

Edited by Jingthing

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

No, posters are just being abusive about Trump because he is a lying, narcissistic , crooked, criminal, sexual predator, self centred, egotistical SOB (Presidentially used term). Nothing to do whether he goes to the DMZ or not. 

.................did I miss anything?

Edited by Andaman Al

1 hour ago, Andaman Al said:

No, posters are just being abusive about Trump because he is a lying, narcissistic , crooked, criminal, sexual predator, self centred, egotistical SOB (Presidentially used term). Nothing to do whether he goes to the DMZ or not. 

.................did I miss anything?

Yes : This threads topic

Missed it big time