Taxi driver arrested for failing to return valuables to tourists

webfact

Taxi driver arrested for failing to return valuables to tourists

By The Nation

Police arrested on Wednesday a taxi driver for failing to return Bt200,000-worth of belongings to two Taiwanese tourists that were left in his vehicle three days earlier.

Kamphee Hongsakhu, 45, was arrested at Suvarnabhumi Airport while he was waiting in a queue to pick up passengers.

The two Taiwanese tourists, who are hockey players, were brought by Kamphee to a hotel in the Huay Kwang area on Sunday but the taxi left without taking out their bags out of the trunk.

The tourists said they waited for the taxi driver to return the bags, which contained cash and other valuables valued at about Bt200,000, but after he failed to do so they filed a complaint with Huay Kwang Police Station.

Huay Kwang police took the two to check footage of airport CCTV at 9pm Wednesday, which showed Kamphee picking up the two tourists and putting their bags in the trunk.

Initially, the taxi driver denied that he had taken the bags, but once police showed him the footage, he took them to retrieve the luggage from his rented room.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30330638

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-11-02

2 hours ago, colinneil said:

This is so different, usually it is a story about honest taxi driver being praised for returning large value items/money to tourists.

This is showing taxi drivers who are not honest.

Actually probably the same guy who realized that being honest was not profitable !

1 hour ago, SoulWater said:

Failing to return? That probably better defined as theft in most countries!

Sent from my SM-J710F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

You are correct in that the driver became a thief when he failed to return the bags belonging to the Taiwanese tourists.Whilst they were in the trunk / boot of the taxi, they were in the custody and care of the driver. He stole the bags when he intentionally departed the hotel with said bags and removed them to his room.

Well done cops plus CCTV.

15 hours ago, SoulWater said:

Failing to return? That probably better defined as theft in most countries!

Sent from my SM-J710F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

You no undastaaan...it was all a misunderstanding, the video refreshed his memory though...he only forgot the luggage in the boot, big deal...can happen.

Which idiot puts cash in his suitcase and goes in a taxi with that?

17 hours ago, colinneil said:

This is so different, usually it is a story about honest taxi driver being praised for returning large value items/money to tourists.

This is showing taxi drivers who are not honest.

Yes I was thinking along similar lines. I wonder which occurrence is more common... certainly the honest guys get more press.

I had a similar problem a couple of years ago. Taxi Driver took off before I could retrieve backpack from Boot (trunk) of taxi. Contained some new Clothing, Book, souvenirs, keys (to house and safe in Australia), canon video camera and my International driving permit with name and (Australian) address on it. Total loss about  B100000. Taxi was photographed at a Toll point but no number could be identified. The authorities could Identify  me in Taxi  because of my distinctive white hair but could not identify the driver. Lesson learned - never place property in taxi boot (Trunk)

23 hours ago, webfact said:

Police arrested on Wednesday a taxi driver for failing to return Bt200,000-worth of belongings to two Taiwanese tourists that were left in his vehicle three days earlier.

Sorry, but why were two tourists left in the vehicle............:sorry: