"We gave them lovely umbrellas - they can charge what they like!", official tells Pattaya beach vendors

webfact

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

You're partly correct, display the price or tell someone the price, there isn't any difference.  B100 probably is too much for a 3rd world country but Thailand is being discussed here and Thailand isn't 3rd world.

"Thailand isn't 3rd world." 

It is a developing country, but before it can call itself a 1st World country, a lot of things need to change, and this is one of the main things that needs to be addressed:-

Transparency International, in their Corruption Perceptions Index 2016 ranked Thailand 101 of 176 nations (1=clean; 176=most corrupt)."

I haven't been to Thailand for 4 years (many reasons). Before then I spent a lot of time each year for 22 years. Back then the old chairs were 30 baht for 2 chairs, umberlla, table, waste can, and ashtray. Are the loungers 100 bt each or for 2. Can the loungers be adjusted so your feet and legs aren't always up. I likes my toes in the sand. I agree there should be a choise of old or new chair.

Then again, I doubt I'll be returning so my opinion doesn't really count.

1 hour ago, smedly said:

you shouldn't have to ask, same walking into a bar you have never been in, their prices should be clearly displayed

If these people are prepared to set a price then they should be prepared to display it, the only reason they will not display prices is because they want to hide the price, and 100baht is too much for a lounger in Thailand a 3rd world country

People come on here and compare prices with their western countries .................... you are not in your western country

Prices are not displayed. TIT. Deal with it.  If 50 bob is too much, bring a towel and a brolly and sit on the sand.

As for Western prices Vs. Thai prices, there really isn't much in it nowadays.  Just compare a few items such as:  A decent restaurant meal, a beer in a regular bar, clothes, a shopping trolley full of food at Tesco; all very comparable to UK - US is cheaper.  The difference is you can opt to live for very little if you either want to, or have to.

5 hours ago, smedly said:

maybe up to them to set the price but it should be clearly displayed so that visitors know exactly how much they are going to be charged

I arrive at Pattaya and I shop looking at the signs, as you suggest, for a deck chair after having a few beers. A sign says " Price 40 to 100" bah with the words, "negotiate price". So what has changed? Except the fact that I can go to gaol or pay up to 100,000 Bah for smoking now  and not like  I did on my last visit. Or having to swim in more polluted water with more turds and plastic since my last visit? Which was only eight months ago. Which is the major difference since then? Hint:- it is not the price of a deck chair?

Edited by wavemanwww

1 hour ago, sambum said:

Why must they increase the price when according to Phaphornan Leuangphanuwat :-  "the operators had got the stuff for free." //

Each operator had to pay 9'800 Baht for his 20 chairs & umbrellas ... :unsure:

3 hours ago, Redvic said:

You obviously have no idea what you are talking about!!!! Take a hard look around pattaya and thailand it is now like a ghost town compaired to 5 years ago. Reason!!! Us farangs are sick of thai scams and cons in 5 years time you will be back farming rice. You  have killed your tourist industry. 

not so sure about the rice farming, PM wants diversification, from what i can see watercress would be the optimum crop

I can image most tourists would find paying up to 100 baht a day 

for a chair and umbrella at the beach would be a bargain

considering most would be on holiday for two or three weeks at the most

Seems like most of the complaints moaning ect on here  is from Farangs 

With nothing better to moan about 

1 hour ago, Pattaya46 said:

Each operator had to pay 9'800 Baht for his 20 chairs & umbrellas ... :unsure:

"But when pressed on reports that tourists had been falling out of the new chairs and getting roasted in the hot sun he ignored the question saying the operators had got the stuff for free."

So  Phaphornan Leuangphanuwat is telling porkies then?

Still - shouldn't be surprised - TIT!

Edited by sambum

9 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

I see customers on the pic above,

and I saw many customers when walking along the beach yesterday afternoon.

Why asking for 40 baht when many tourists are ready to pay 100 ?

Why stop there, 200 would be better for everyone wouldn't it ?

I am expecting the Beach Chair extorters next, where they claim you damaged the seat, a small guy comes round, tears his shirt off and shouts at you, and then a policeman wanders over conveniently to help in the discussions.

20 hours ago, smedly said:

maybe up to them to set the price but it should be clearly displayed so that visitors know exactly how much they are going to be charged

Especially as they were given the new chairs and umbrellas free.  Accepting free chairs should have been subject to showing prices.

20 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The authorities in Thailand always seem to be complicit whenever there are issues such as this which inevitably grow and other issues branch off. 

In this case, they are supporting the entitlement of the beach vendors who will fight, swindle and intimidate customers in their attempts to profit - In this case they will now feel they can charge what they like with impunity, actually in full support of the authorities, their sense of entitlement will turn into indignation as the public become upset with them and their overcharging.... there will be fights, there will be some violence and bad publicity...  and all because the authorities have no foresight and are too lazy to implement controls protecting the tourists.

This what's called free enterprise, especially in the US, Australia Japan and EC countries.  It suppose to mean the price is set by supply and demand.  The companies in these countries believe in free and open competition, but of course that is only if it doesn't effect them ( Great quote from the Marfia, retail stores and politicians in the USA ).  Thailand still has a long way to go to catch up.   Go! Go! GO!

1 hour ago, chrissables said:

Especially as they were given the new chairs and umbrellas free.  Accepting free chairs should have been subject to showing prices.

"Especially as they were given the new chairs and umbrellas free"

Apparently not according to a couple of posts on here!

14 minutes ago, bristolgeoff said:

new chairs .umbrellas cleaned up area.it looks good so we can charge you more for the service.i,am sure they will be flocking to the beach.all the farangs who don,t know better

In my experience living near the beach in Cha-am and walking at least 7km along it each day  I'm yet to see a Farang sitting in a beach chair,  when I walk along amongst the chairs they are all Thais, they nearly all say hello to me and I always return the smile (in LOS).  I have seen many Thais with gargantuan amounts of food from food vendors on the tables which are part of the rental arrangements that goes with the chairs, they are trying to copy Western examples (I'm no saint) of over eating (the mind boggles)...you can sit in these chairs all day for Bt50.  Each Tuesday late afternoon the 15,000 or so chairs and tables and umbrellas are completely removed by the owners and on Wednesday an army of mostly Thai Ladies do a pretty good clean up job.  The whole 5km or so of beach is swept clean with brooms, goodonya! girls.  Thursday before lunchtime they are all back, yes the 15,000 chairs with umbrellas and tables and no complaints.

Some of the chairs vendors are using are the new plastic chairs (not many yet) but you don't have to think to hard to realise that any backyard Thai handy man can knock up a dozen deck chairs with a drill, a hammer, a screwdriver and an old banger sewing machine from a few sticks and a bit of canvass in next to no time and cheap...Bt 50 seems to be quite OK price to pay to rent a chair for the day, free competition will set a price, it may go up.  Quite often this can add up to about Bt 1000 as the average Thai pick up truck load (Ute in Aus) can carry up to 10 adults and at least 10 kids and dogs in one trip to the beach, (the dogs only have to pay if they use a chair) don't you just love it...some hanging out the back.  Should not be but it does make me smile...lots. TIT

I find nothing wrong with beach chairs in Thailand.

On 11/3/2017 at 11:25 AM, Pattaya46 said:

I see customers on the pic above,

and I saw many customers when walking along the beach yesterday afternoon.

Why asking for 40 baht when many tourists are ready to pay 100 ?

Why not double food prices at Songkran time, if the customers are willing to pay double? Funny, that the authorities discourage that...