Thai kids chewing with mouth open

Nemises

Just wondering if it’s common for Thai children to chew with their mouths open?

I ask because I often drive the GF’s daughter & nephews to & from school and sometimes after school they hop into my car eating snack bars & ice creams etc. On these occasions ALL of the kids will chomp away with their mouths WIDE OPEN, all making cringeworthy, disgusting sounds.

The sounds are obviously unbearable but fortunately the school is close-by, so my suffering lasts only about 4-5 minutes.

I wanted to seek opinion here first, (regarding if this habit is cultural or not) before raising the matter with TGF, if at all...

Thanks in advance for any helpful posts from those with firsthand experience in this matter ... and the expected humorous ones as well :)

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Adults at well. The more noise they make, shows how much they are enjoying it. I trained our kids out of it, but it's not my place to tell others kids what to do. A bugger when you see a pretty lady, and her mouth is like a cement mixer, and you can see all of the engredients being churned.

8 minutes ago, Goanna said:

Adults at well. The more noise they make, shows how much they are enjoying it. I trained our kids out of it, but it's not my place to tell others kids what to do. A bugger when you see a pretty lady, and her mouth is like a cement mixer, and you can see all of the engredients being churned.

Yes, the noise signifies enjoyment.

Thais show care by asking 'Did you eat yet?'....... Absolutely cultural.

1 hour ago, trianglechoke said:

Yes, the noise signifies enjoyment.

Thais show care by asking 'Did you eat yet?'....... Absolutely cultural.

Never knew my grandmother was Thai. She always asked strangers, family, or friends; "Did you eat yet?" And, she always had something to serve you.

3 minutes ago, Stokakrishna said:

grow a pair and teach them  to shut their mouth when eating

heh heh, instead grow a couple of kids, and your household will now have 2 more open mouth eaters :vampire: :vampire: 

- it's all in their DNA

... and even at half-strength DNA mix, it'll be enough to...

5 hours ago, i claudius said:

Its not cultural its the way you are brought up and if your low class .sorry but its the same all over the world

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Some years back I was having lunch with two retired ladies in San Diego  - ex American consular people (at high level).  They both talked, eating with their mouths open.  I felt quite sick and could barely eat a mouthful.  THAT went on for well over an hour.

Edited by Gillyflower

4 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

Actually, I have found that most Thais go to the opposite extreme of covering their mouth if using a toothpick and trying not to show you the inside of their mouth... of course, bad manners happens here too... 

yeah!! - the best reaction comes, when one pulls out one's Dental Plate,

and use the wires as a toothpick

Image result for dental plate

missus is always angry at me  for that! :vampire:

but, if you can't beat'em, - join'em:

Edited by tifino

5 hours ago, sanemax said:

As you are the Adult, you need to inform the Children that is impolite to eat with their mouths open

And this is what's wrong with farangs

The think they can go to a foreign country and teach them what's better!. 

They think they are better. No wonder they are looked down upon. 

Do you go to Japan and tell everyone from child to elderly that slurping your noodles is wrong and you need to be taught different? 

I doubt it. 

So what's the difference 

Many years ago my Dad had a habit of pouring tea from his cup into the saucer and then slurping the tea from the saucer. My grandad used to slurp down his soup, making the most disgusting noises in the process.

I have not followed this family tradition.

All of you and I am included in this are suffering from Misophonia, a disorder which means sufferers have a hatred of sounds such as eating, chewing, loud breathing or even repeated pen-clicking, was first named as a condition in 2001. Those of us with misophonia have a difference in our brain’s frontal lobe to non-sufferers.

Ironically, we have the problem ............... not them.

6 hours ago, sanemax said:

As you are the Adult, you need to inform the Children that is impolite to eat with their mouths open

That's a tough one when their mom is doing the same. It's pretty much common in Isaan to eat with an open mouth. It sounds disgusting, but hey, it's a different culture. 

It's difficult when your own wife behaves like that and you're telling her that you don't wanna "hear her eating". Then she might think that you're the impolite person. I'm not kidding. 

Edited by jenny2017

That's a tough one when their mom is doing the same. It's pretty much common in Isaan to eat with an open mouth. It sounds disgusting, but hey, it's a different culture. 

I researched elsewhere and was also reliably informed that it’s in their culture - as I alluded to in the OP. Thanks for confirming, and thanks to the others who advised same.

1 hour ago, hellohello123 said:

And this is what's wrong with farangs

The think they can go to a foreign country and teach them what's better!. 

They think they are better. No wonder they are looked down upon. 

Do you go to Japan and tell everyone from child to elderly that slurping your noodles is wrong and you need to be taught different? 

I doubt it. 

So what's the difference 

I do know what is better .

There is no doubt about that .

It is rude an bad manners to eat with your mouth open

Children do now know that is rude and bad manners 

Its the adults job to tell them 

No need to bring "Thai"or "felang" into this

This is nothing to do about where anyone comes from

Its adults teaching Children how to behave

5 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I do know what is better .