HOLIDAY TRAGEDY Manchester grandad Shaun Walley electrocuted ‘by cheap Thailand hotel’s HANDRAIL’ as family fight to raise £10,000 to bring body home

snoop1130

HOLIDAY TRAGEDY Manchester grandad Shaun Walley electrocuted ‘by cheap Thailand hotel’s HANDRAIL’ as family fight to raise £10,000 to bring body home

By Mark Hodge

nintchdbpict000365318584.jpg

MERCURY PRESS

A GRANDAD died after being electrocuted by a handrail that allegedly became live in a budget hotel in Thailand.

Now the grief-stricken family of Shaun Walley, 67, from Greater Manchester, needs to raise £10,000 to bring his body home.

Shaun had been visiting a friend in South East Asia when he touched a steel balcony handrail that was allegedly live with electric current due to a faulty light box sign.

Despite the hotel allegedly admitting the accident on October 19 was their fault, they have informed dad-of-six Shaun's family they can't afford to help.

Now his stepdaughter Ramona Brooks, 36, who is five months pregnant, is trying to raise cash to cover the costs of bringing his body home so they can bury their dad in the UK.

Full Story: https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4860489/thailand-hotel-handrail-electrocuted-shaun-walley-manchester/

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another go fund me from a family that does not work? Own homes or cars they can get money from? R.I.P sad thing to happen. Spending other peoples money is much better than spending your own I guess. This poor guy worked his whole life for his family, and no one wants to step up and do the right thing for him. 

I am and would be quite shocked to read posts that seem to suggest that it is the deceased who is at fault and consequently up to the family to assume the costs ?!!?

RIP to the poor chap and mainly to his family.

How would you react if it was a member of your family that encountered such a tragedy due to utter local Thai negligence ?

Edited by observer90210

3 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

cremate and take the ashes back, why this obsession with flying bodies back at ludicrous prices?

When NL Sr. popped his clogs a few years back, his wife of +55 years thought he would be 'lonely' at the local funeral home so for 5 days before his cremation, dad lay 'in state' in an open topped casket, 'looking out' at his favorite mountain view from the front room of his home.

I guess some people in grief tend to act differently from some people on internet forums.

3 hours ago, BTB1977 said:

Another go fund me from a family that does not work? Own homes or cars they can get money from? R.I.P sad thing to happen. Spending other peoples money is much better than spending your own I guess. This poor guy worked his whole life for his family, and no one wants to step up and do the right thing for him. 

Someone 'down the pub' suggested the crowdfund I guess. Seems a popular way of getting cash reasonably quick without digging too deep personally. Don't see anything particularly wrong with that.

Oh dear...

be careful as safety standards here are not as good as some of ours' back home.

Some big major shopping centres which (I will not named) I had visited; I had been electrocuted before holding on to handrails or metal barricades of escalators though it is nothing serious here but still...

if accidents do happened, nothing much can be done as laws and regulations here are pretty lax.

Take care.

6 hours ago, imaderbyfan said:

Not insured I assume....

If not ...why not.....?

This is a certain accident, and would be covered by the most modest layout for cover..

You just had to get the Not insured in did you not, so sad.

You forget the hotel is liable as they are at fault and the country for not making sure hotels and the likes of follow strict safety regulations, if they have any and anyone who is not a lazy B and gets off their read and does checks on hotels.

This is not an accident, its bloody murder by neglect.

Just another farang who cares?

The tourist industry will that is for sure in time.

If TAT and the country had any respect for tourists, they would pay the costs of their neglect.

Edited by wakeupplease

4 hours ago, Basil B said:

As much as I agree with your sentiment in this instance what is needed is a good lawyer.

Very sad very traumatic for the family

My observations are as follows, when I had a malpractice claim against a hospital I met with several firms of lawyers in Bangkok, came to the conclusion they were all crooks, I am a retired professional man

The hotel has already claimed they may have little

Small poor family in England my opinion DO NOT GO LAWYER ROUTE, good money after bad and even if you got judgement no assets to collect from, I doubt you will find a lawyer to act on a probono basis

Yes another case of no insurance, when you have little money then insurance is even more important

To repatriate the body when you have no money is not really very sound judgement, however these are emotional times

My suggestion is if possible donate the body, or have it cremated locally

For me I have a Thai donor card already in place, no funeral costs 

My condolences to the family

One last observation we do make our own luck, and paying insurance would have given luck

All these going on about insurance:

Nearly impossible anywhere in west to get over 3 months insurance for staying in another country, especially Thai

If you it will be ridiculous expensive

If you make a claim they will do everything to not pay. Its one big scam

Second-these donation website thing you cannot trust.

at least twice now recently we seen people make up BS to cover over what really happen and mostly all Brit.

A lot of people here getting in trouble cleaning pool filters or tooling around doing thing they shouldnt be doing as a farang or trying to fix stuff around power and water.

Just leave it to the Thais

Sorry for the death of this guy but sorry also i dont believe this live handrail thing for 1 minute

Dont think we hear the whole story here.

3 minutes ago, tingtongtourist said:

All these going on about insurance:

Nearly impossible anywhere in west to get over 3 months insurance for staying in another country, especially Thai

If you it will be ridiculous expensive

If you make a claim they will do everything to not pay. Its one big scam

Second-these donation website thing you cannot trust.

at least twice now recently we seen people make up BS to cover over what really happen and mostly all Brit.

A lot of people here getting in trouble cleaning pool filters or tooling around doing thing they shouldnt be doing as a farang or trying to fix stuff around power and water.

Just leave it to the Thais

Sorry for the death of this guy but sorry also i dont believe this live handrail thing for 1 minute

Dont think we hear the whole story here.

this is the most sensible comment I have read today ...

56 minutes ago, Thechook said:

All these go fund me campaigns, they must be very lucrative.  Appear to be a completely legal way to scam people.  Might have to start one myself

what are you gonna call it    ?    I may donate if it sounds good   ....

There was an interesting post suggesting that perhaps not all the facts were 100% watertight as it were (no name of hotel, somewhere in Thailand etc.) The post also pointed out that the family photos in The Sun were licensed to a publishing company (which is odd for family photos). Anyway, is having the "wrong opinion" or questioning the news against forum rules now as well? :unsure:

2 minutes ago, SABloke said:

There was an interesting post suggesting that perhaps not all the facts were 100% watertight as it were (no name of hotel, somewhere in Thailand etc.) The post also pointed out that the family photos in The Sun were licensed to a publishing company (which is odd for family photos). Anyway, is having the "wrong opinion" or questioning the news against forum rules now as well? :unsure:

Well many did question the story of the Brit guy who say he got mugged at gunpoint and they what a sham that turn out to be.

As you say, this is showing many of the same signs

no location or hotel details, story a week or so old and

suprise suprisre..GO fund me please sir!

Yeah right

And from reading the article, the guy live here and was not a tourist.

Also notice they always seem to be a small hint, it say he was "cleaning up"

My guess he was going around a garden or pool area either fix something or cleaning or picking up plastic or something and come accross a live wire

Also if there are live wires outside at times Thais style of safety is to tie a bunch of plastic bags over it.

Best to stay away and dont be the hero IMO

The hotel is liable because of their neglect and poor ( if any ) maintenance If they have no money they will have to sell the hotel or use it to get a bank loan. If they cannot do that the hotel owner should be jailed.

The onus should be on the hotel to raise the money not the deceased family

Nah, forgive me for being blunt but the desperate plea for 10k GBP sounds like exploiting a window of opportunity. Donations will pour in and it's highly likely they will exceed 10k. Then the body is discreetly cremated and chaperoned back to the UK on economy class. As for the rest of the money... well, winter times are always hard times. 

Edited by mvdf

10 hours ago, imaderbyfan said:

Not insured I assume....

If not ...why not.....?

This is a certain accident, and would be covered by the most modest layout for cover..

What is it with people that always turn everything around to be the victim's fault anyway? Are you perfect in everyway? Always covered by some type of insurance for any tragedy that may happen?

All of the insurance and money in the world would not bring this poor fellows life back nor comfort his family and friends.

Show some compassion !

Edited by Lee4Life
spelling