Man claims ignorance of statutory rape regarding sex with 13-year-old

snoop1130

Man claims ignorance of statutory rape regarding sex with 13-year-old

By The Nation

A 28-year-old contractor who was arrested in Bangkok on Wednesday for allegedly luring a 13-year-old girl over Facebook to have sex with him in Phrae province in 2015 claimed he did not know about statutory rape, said Crime Suppression Division deputy chief Pol Col Jirapop Phuridej.

Following his arrest at a restaurant in Soi Lat Phrao 101 area, the contractor, Sarawuth Pankhamkaen, reportedly confessed to the crime but said he did not intend to cause harm to the girl, adding that at the time he did not know she was only 13 years old. 

He also said he loved her but their relationship had not worked out so he broke up with her.

Sarawuth claimed that he had not known his relationship with the girl was illegal because it had been “love” for him. 

He was charged with statutory rape, molestation of a minor under 15 and taking a minor away from her parents. 

A police investigation found that Sarawuth, a native of Phrae province, in 2015 had allegedly used the Facebook chat application to lure several young schoolgirls in Phrae to have sex with him before ending each relationship. 

One of the alleged victims filed a police complaint, resulting in an arrest warrant.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30331141

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-11-8

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

37 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

A 28-year-old contractor who was arrested in Bangkok on Wednesday for allegedly luring a 13-year-old girl over Facebook to have sex with him in Phrae province in 2015 claimed he did not know about statutory rape

Liar

Edited by Bluespunk

Not to defend the culprit, but as a majority of Thai girls look younger then their age, the culprit may have assumed she was older ?

Nevertheless, it should serve as a lesson to always check an ID before getting to close with a young looking girl in Thailand.

34 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

Not to defend the culprit, but as a majority of Thai girls look younger then their age, the culprit may have assumed she was older ?

Nevertheless, it should serve as a lesson to always check an ID before getting to close with a young looking girl in Thailand.

2 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

A police investigation found that Sarawuth, a native of Phrae province, in 2015 had allegedly used the Facebook chat application to lure several young schoolgirls in Phrae to have sex with him before ending each relationship. 

If the above is true then I don't think he assumed any of them were older.

Pure predator.

2 minutes ago, scorecard said:

You believe marriage to a 13 year old is a suitable / happy answer?

I hope not.

No but under Thai law a man charged with having sex with a girl between 13-15 years old will have all charges against him dropped if he subsequently marries her.

Nothing to do with me, I didn't make the laws here.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

55 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

"Not to defend the culprit, but as a majority of Thai girls look younger then their age, the culprit may have assumed she was older ?"

There's a big gap between 13 and 18.

In any event the adult involved should be doing some checking to ensure the girl (or boy) is over 18. If in doubt don't touch, adults have a moral responsibility to protect the young.

18 minutes ago, scorecard said:

"Not to defend the culprit, but as a majority of Thai girls look younger then their age, the culprit may have assumed she was older ?"

There's a big gap between 13 and 18.

13-15 you need a judges (written) permission to marry ( and have sex)

15-18 you need the parents permission to marry (and/or have sex)

Those are the only legal requirements in Thailand.

Anyway, what Thais do in Thailand really isn't any of our business, their morality and culture is different to ours, and what we think about it is entirely irrelevant. I'm guessing this is a squabble about either dumping her, or not paying bride price for her, rather than anything else. About half my step-daughters high school class were either pregnant or already a mum by the time they were 15, and nobody was arrested (as far as I know).

Edited by MaeJoMTB

Thats right,  lots of young girls, 13 and up in villages were "raped" by an older boy , get pregnant and they legally married . It's the law.

But then of course the older boy run away from all the responsibilities. 

Edited by balo

I have some questions:

In the area where I live one of my neighbours had a 13 year old daughter. This girl had a 28 year old boyfriend who was living with her at the girl`s parents home. At 14 years old the girl became pregnant from this guy and at 15 years old gave birth to a baby boy. Shortly after she gave birth the guy went his own merry way, parents left with caring for their 15 year old daughter and the baby. No police involved and it was business as usual. So my question is, what made the OP guy especially chosen for prosecution when these sort of activities are happening all the time here in Thailand?

Next question: how is it that that 13, 14 and 15 year old girls are so easily lured into having sex with men over twice their ages? Do these guys have some sort of magic charm, what is it that attracts underage girls to these perverts?

6 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

I have some questions:

In the area where I live one of my neighbours had a 13 year old daughter. This girl had a 28 year old boyfriend who was living with her at the girl`s parents home. At 14 years old the girl became pregnant from this guy and at 15 years old gave birth to a baby boy. Shortly after she gave birth the guy went his own merry way, parents left with caring for their 15 year old daughter and the baby. No police involved and it was business as usual. So my question is, what made the OP guy especially chosen for prosecution when these sort of activities are happening all the time here in Thailand?

Next question: how is it that that 13, 14 and 15 year old girls are so easily lured into having sex with men over twice their ages? Do these guys have some sort of magic charm, what is it that attracts underage girls to these perverts?

Answered in post #20

6 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

I have some questions:

You're right, it's commonplace in villages and towns all over Thailand.  Some of the comments on this topic are just plain irritating, you know, the 'hang em high, and chop it off' brigade. So ignorant. The answer to your 'next question' is that they are just plain gullible, not well educated, totally un-worldly, probably looking for affection they don't get at home, and reacting/conforming to peer pressure. 

12 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Obviously to Thai people the majority of Thai girls do not look younger than their age and they would instead see the majority of girls from your country as looking older than their age.

6 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

Obviously to Thai people the majority of Thai girls do not look younger than their age and they would instead see the majority of girls from your country as looking older than their age.

Don't quite catch what you are trying to say but I'm sure you have a good reason...thanks for your response anyhow.