Beach smoking ban delayed until February

Rimmer

Beach smoking ban delayed until February

image.png

PATTAYA:-- The government has delayed enforcement of its smoking ban on Pattaya and other popular beaches to better educate the public about the cost of lighting up on the sand.

Thailand’s Department of Marine and Coastal Resources has implemented a smoking ban on 20 of the country’s beaches, including Pattaya and Jomtien.

This is all due to massive amount of cigarette butts being collected from public beaches and research confirms they could be harmful to the environment. The ban was to take effect Nov. 1.

Under the new law, smokers could be fined up to 100,000 baht and sentenced to a year in prison.

However, public backlash and unpreparedness by local officials forced the government to backpedal and postpone enforcement of the ban until Feb. 1.

Pattaya clearly was unprepared to do anything about smoking on the beach. By Nov. 2 no signs had been erected on any beach and plenty of sunbathers and vendors were puffing away as normal.

A few municipal police officers were seen on Pattaya Beach informing people of the ban.

Read more: http://www.pattayamail.com/news/beach-smoking-ban-delayed-february-191322

pattaya_mail_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya Mail 2017-11-10

Laughable not, the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing, once again !

I keep right away from the main beaches because of the cigarette smoke, disgusting, should be banned in public, period, but I won't hold my breath 555

Edited by 4MyEgo

Probably because reservations for the high season have plummeted !!!

I know that a hotel of one of my friends was already booked full in the years up to 2014 a half year before the arrivals. 

Currently having enough place, of the 100% reservations previously, now only having 2% - 3% bookings for the same period. He has dropped the prices with around 15% - 25% to gain more reservations while competitors have raised their prices with 40% - 60%. (Thai marketing) And yes, they're completely empty... Most of the places are for sale nowadays.

Pattaya seems to be a ghost town nowadays. 

Edited by PAIBKK

1 hour ago, PAIBKK said:

I know that a hotel of one of my friends was already booked full in the years up to 2014 a half year before the arrivals.

Currently having enough place, of the 100% reservations previously, now only having 2% - 3% bookings for the same period. He has dropped the prices with around 15% - 25% to gain more reservations while competitors have raised their prices with 40% - 60%. (Thai marketing) And yes, they're completely empty... Most of the places are for sale nowadays.

I have heard the same said of C/Rai and C/mai yet TAT keep spinning the same yarn about the millions arriving each month.  I believe you PAIBKK  not TAT.

17 hours ago, PAIBKK said:

The demographic has changed a lot in the past few years. Maybe your friend should rethink his marketing strategy. Its business as usual in my area just that Western single sex touists have been replaced by older couples and families