ko sarn road out of control?

yogavnture

Khao San.

A mate talked me into going there (Rambuttri) for three days/two nights in September.

I knew it would be "strange" for me (an age effect).

And it was much worse than I thought.

Highest concentration of (tuk tuk) scammers, hustlers, rip offs I have seen in a long time.

Once and never again.

8 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Khao San.

A mate talked me into going there (Rambuttri) for three days/two nights in September.

Highest concentration of (tuk tuk) scammers, hustlers, rip offs I have seen in a long time.

Once and never again.

So you enjoyed it then...............:clap2:

1 hour ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

Twenty-five years ago my then girlfriend's favourite treat was to be taken to see the farang antics at Khao San Road. Had she not subsequently upgraded her boyfriend, I have no doubt she would still count those visits as the highlights of her year.

My rather conservative wife loves the place.

33 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

My rather conservative wife loves the place.

A lot of wealthy Thais also like the place. It's fun for them to pretend to be young, poor and anti establishment for a few hours.

Much the same as the long haired Thai bikers riding around on big muscle bikes pretending to be outlaws .

In reality, a poor Thai person could never afford a Harley and a pair of Ray Bans or afford the prices in Khao Sahn road.

Over the years Khao san  road developed its character. It is not a place for you to like or dislike. When I first went to Kings Cross in Sydney Australia I thought it was quite a place. I could get to eat at odd hours and see all kinds of things going on there. I saw Australian police arresting someone (drunk or crime or what i don't know) he was shouting "fvvk" all the time at the police. The 2 police had a hard time pin him on the side of the car to put handcuff on him. It's better than a movie of course.

Kings Cross has a character. I was most surprised that hookers were walking on the street at 7 am in the morning when I went for Bfast. I thought they were hardworking ladies. B4 that I thought hookers were lazy good for nothing, now I think they work hard for their keep. My wrong perception erh?

I dislike cities that don't servebreakfast early because I would be hungry by then.

Khao San and Kings Cross should be Twin Sister District, can someone ask the Ozzie embassy to contact Thai Mayor of Bangkok to arrange soemthing to that effect. Good for both countries tourism ideas.

2 hours ago, madusa said:

Over the years Khao san  road developed its character. It is not a place for you to like or dislike. When I first went to Kings Cross in Sydney Australia I thought it was quite a place. I could get to eat at odd hours and see all kinds of things going on there. I saw Australian police arresting someone (drunk or crime or what i don't know) he was shouting "fvvk" all the time at the police. The 2 police had a hard time pin him on the side of the car to put handcuff on him. It's better than a movie of course.

Kings Cross has a character. I was most surprised that hookers were walking on the street at 7 am in the morning when I went for Bfast. I thought they were hardworking ladies. B4 that I thought hookers were lazy good for nothing, now I think they work hard for their keep. My wrong perception erh?

I dislike cities that don't servebreakfast early because I would be hungry by then.

Khao San and Kings Cross should be Twin Sister District, can someone ask the Ozzie embassy to contact Thai Mayor of Bangkok to arrange soemthing to that effect. Good for both countries tourism ideas.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/kings-cross-ghost-town-lockout-laws-turning-off-sydneys-red-light-as-businesses-flee/news-story/067d518f40308dd2ee8424e038312a8b?nk=dd75f58990a8a7de0fcc5f125218b04c-1510330926

10 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Khao San.

Once and never again.

3 years in Thailand and never been there.. Definitely an age thing although I know several old codgers who are regulars both there and patpong... They are a sight to behold in their floral shirts, knee socks and beer guts. 

2 hours ago, tonray said:

3 years in Thailand and never been there.. Definitely an age thing although I know several old codgers who are regulars both there and patpong... They are a sight to behold in their floral shirts, knee socks and beer guts. 

It's amazing how many farangs come to Thailand apparently to people-watch fat people.  Then the next stop is the forums here to report (for the benefit of those not lucky enough to have any fat people to watch themselves I guess).  

9 hours ago, madusa said:

Kings Cross has changed and is still changing. Definitely not twin sister to Khao San anymore.

15 hours ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

Twenty-five years ago my then girlfriend's favourite treat was to be taken to see the farang antics at Khao San Road. Had she not subsequently upgraded her boyfriend, I have no doubt she would still count those visits as the highlights of her year.

The Lonely Planet book use to call KSR a human zoo.  They were spot on.  Some really bizarre people there.

2 hours ago, markaoffy said:

t’s new “ out of control “is a widespread event in the city

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

all I can say is i went their two nights ago and its like 3 times worse than last year. vendors are being pushed out for loud bars. and then the lady boys will start prowling around soon, looking for drunk farang

Edited by yogavnture

haha, weren't you young once? they are enjoying themselves (shock horror!), having fun (should be banned!) who are they hurting? if you dont like it dont go there. easy.

when i think of my behaviour at that age KSR is mild, yes i enjoyed life, i had fun! (still do and am these days without alcohol or bars)

i'd take KSR over the sad, lonely, desperate sex tourists you find in certain areas of bkk and other cities here.

5 hours ago, hawker9000 said:

It's amazing how many farangs come to Thailand apparently to people-watch fat people. 

This does not apply to KSR.

One sight that is rare are fat people.

Instead you see a lot of young good looking "exotic" women.

Just that they are accompanied :smile:

The pool area was filled with young beauties in the evening.

A stark contrast to Pattaya :biggrin:

Exotic: e.g. tall, blond, blue-eyed.

I rarely see those over the year.

3 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

Khao San Road is a short stretch, not much in itself, but the surrounding sois are full of history and importance and well worth the time to explore. 

That's true.

One of the advantages of KSR is that it centrally located and you can quickly walk out :biggrin:

I used the chance to walk towards Sanam Luang and see some of the funeral events at the time.

22 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Khao San.

Once and never again.

One more time than me. 

8 hours ago, frank0424 said:

Kings Cross has changed and is still changing. Definitely not twin sister to Khao San anymore.

As i was reading his post i was just thinking, he has obviously not been to Kings Cross in a while. Like him i used to love being around there when it was open all hours. I was last back there about 3 years ago and it was unrecognisable to what it was 15 years before, and not in a good way. My point of view as a visitor there, i am sure many locals enjoy the change.

i've lived in bkk for 10 yrs (asoke/sukhumvit area).  i've met alot of tourists over the years, mainly from europe or australia (i'm american).  sometimes i end up as a tour guide for them for a couple of nights as i enjoy meeting new people.  they always want to go to KSR and the lebua state tower rooftop bar.  i always say 'okay, but i think you are making a mistake.  those two places are not real great'.  then the next night, i take them to octave rooftop bar (sukhumvit soi 57) and then to the area behind the esplanade mall, i think they call it the esplanade night market.  lots of food, bars, music, shop stalls, etc...  everytime the people say night 2 was far better than night 1.

edit - and these people range in age from 20-50.

Edited by buick