Forget the dancing girls - Pattaya's new "landmark" is the dancing fountains!

webfact

Forget the dancing girls - Pattaya's new "landmark" is the dancing fountains!

6pm.jpg

Picture: Sophon Cable

The re-branding of Pattaya continues apace with the announcement of a new landmark attraction.

Forget the Go-Go dancers of Walking street - now Pattaya proudly presents the Dancing Fountains of Bali Hai!

Finishing touches are being made to the 35 colored, high powered fountains that will wow visitors to the International Boat Show being held until November 22nd.

The fountains are a permanent attraction that the authorities hope will become synonymous with the resort as it tries to shed its seedy image.

Pattaya mayor Anan Charoensri told Sophon Cable TV that the fountains in the newly landscaped port area are a new landmark for the city.

The fountains - incorporating a holding tank that will prevent too much water wastage - will be turned on for shows twice a day.

That will be 7.30 to 9.30 am in the morning and 4 to 10pm at night.

Sophon did not report that the dancing girls were overly worried about the competition.

Source: Sophon Cable

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-11-15

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

Few poles and a few scantily clad young women and I'd go.

Read the article!!!

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The fountains are a permanent attraction that the authorities hope will become synonymous with the resort as it tries to shed its seedy image.

hahahahaha 

2 hours ago, newnative said:

Looks nice but the big question is can it be maintained and kept running?  And, not just through Fleet Week but in the months and, dare I say, years ahead. 

Made by the Chinese so only works for a week I expect, buts that's all we need, so that is why the girls are not bothered.

Wouldn,t it be nice if the money was put towards construction of a sewage treatment plant designed to treat the waste from 1 million people, instead of the non-operational joke of a plant that now exists ?

Waste money on a sewage plant? no, just dump it in the sea as usual no one will ever know

Edited by wakeupplease

A shame that folks have to "knock it"

Good that they are trying to upgrade .........."The Pattaya Image".....

Pattaya does have a lot of good things going for it.......(yes... and bad)

Perhaps in time they will earmark a

" low profile" location for the sex tourists.....so they can satisfy their needs

Edited by DD13
Spelling correction

I disagree that the town has a seedy image.  I would have no trouble if the town had an open and advertised so called red light district.  Seedy usually means crime and sex.  I agree getting rid of the crime part would be good.  I don't see a problem with the sex part.  If the town and customers and tourists want that, well, let the consenting adults work things out.

10 hours ago, DD13 said:

A shame that folks have to "knock it"

Good that they are trying to upgrade .........."The Pattaya Image".....

Pattaya does have a lot of good things going for it.......(yes... and bad)

Perhaps in time they will earmark a

" low profile" location for the sex tourists.....so they can satisfy their needs

I see.   So this is the long awaited Pattaya "upgrade".  Some fountains.  Nice.  The dawn of Pattaya 2.0 for sure.   LOL    I will admit, it's apparently a sufficiently impressive geegaw for some, AND that's probably the cleanest water in all of Pattaya (and it better continue to be or those pumps will be clogged in a week...).   My advice:  get those tourist flyer pics now.

Such an easy prediction: A year from now the “dancing” fountains will be broken, green algae & litter will be covering the bottom with no functioning colored lights. Why? Because the word MAINTENANCE is not in the municipal government’s thinking.

Seriously instead of buying toys that will be broken in a month or so and never repaired why didnt they spend the money on cleaning up the raw sewage and other waste products on the beaches.  You promote thailand as a pristine tropical paradise where your guests can swim in the sewers but hey you have pretty dancing lights.  Where is their sense of priority.

3 hours ago, hyku1147 said:

This was the original fountain - until it was discovered that the local sculptor had included male genitalia.:shock1:

pattaya-sign.jpg

I guess there wasn't any cash left in the  budget to buy an angle grinder and castrate the offensive subject

Shame really it's the first I have seen of it......Looks OK

Where is it now ????? I wonder

Just so folks like DD13 realize,  Pattaya is the low profile place it always was. It is just world

renouned for its reputation, and fountains or the like will not change its image. Maybe 1000 years

will be needed for a real image change, so just enjoy visiting Pattaya and area and carry on.

Geezer

Then there would be no need for a police force .....oh.

I’m sure walking st would still keep the Police busy at kicking out time & of course other crime related incidents.

As for the fountain, I’m sure there’s better ways of promoting Pattaya but each to they’re own.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

Just so folks like DD13 realize,  Pattaya is the low profile place it always was. It is just world

renouned for its reputation, and fountains or the like will not change its image. Maybe 1000 years

will be needed for a real image change, so just enjoy visiting Pattaya and area and carry on.

Geezer

All towns the world over have skeletons in their cupboards that doesn't mean they have to stay that way

If you haven't been there, treat yourself pop along to the Cliff Gallery restaurant or the Chocolate Factory at Pratumnac you will see the type of Bangkok (and other) quality clientele Pattaya is targeting

And it's sensibly priced

On 11/15/2017 at 3:52 PM, newnative said:

Looks nice but the big question is can it be maintained and kept running?  And, not just through Fleet Week but in the months and, dare I say, years ahead. 

The fountain itself looks okay but I couldn't believe it this morning when I was there and discovered they have used artificial plastic grass tiles:saai: I have no idea how long it will last in the tropical sun but it's already covered in huge amounts of dog poop which will probably just sit there for days or weeks.

1 hour ago, midas said:

The fountain itself looks okay but I couldn't believe it this morning when I was there and discovered they have used artificial plastic grass tiles:saai: I have no idea how long it will last in the tropical sun but it's already covered in huge amounts of dog poop which will probably just sit there for days or weeks.

Sorry to hear that.  With this climate there shouldn't be plastic grass anywhere.

11 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

Geezer

Oh, my.  You cannot possibly be living in today's Pattaya and make a totally uninformed comment such as this.  And, in the remote possibility that you are here, you need to actually venture out of Soi 6 or Walking Street now and then.  DD13 gave you a few good suggestions to get you started and there was a recent thread on things to do in Pattaya that had lots of excellent suggestions, as well.

28 minutes ago, newnative said:

Oh, my.  You cannot possibly be living in today's Pattaya and make a totally uninformed comment such as this.  And, in the remote possibility that you are here, you need to actually venture out of Soi 6 or Walking Street now and then.  DD13 gave you a few good suggestions to get you started and there was a recent thread on things to do in Pattaya that had lots of excellent suggestions, as well.

Message for stargazer

I've Lived here 8 years    15 Kms North of Pattaya never walked down SoI 6 drove through it as a cut through.  seen Walking Street in the day many times and twice at night

My Lawyer wife would kill me if I were to venture to those places.....prostitutes are of no interest to me......

But each of you to your own

Thankyou " new native" for your comments

Edited by DD13
Extra text