Riding in Thailand - any precautions?

Barnabe

Hi everyone, I go to Thailand regularly from Europe and recently had a great trip in the Chiang Mai area on a small scooter. 

I mostly stay in BKK so I'm thinking to start renting a motorbike on the weekends and go to Hua Hin or maybe some more extended trips to the south, Isaan, etc.

I'll probably be riding 150cc as I only have an European car license that allows me to drive up to 125cc, and I'm not really used to big bikes.

I've read on this forum many times that Thailand roads are pretty dangerous... What tips do you guys have for someone like me who will be an occasional visitor that likes riding? I'm assuming a full face helmet is a must, maybe some gloves and a jacket?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all the tips guys.

3 hours ago, georgy said:

The European inclusion of small motorbikes in the DL does not work here. A specific motorbike license is necessary.

Avoid trips to HuaHin on weekends, traffic is crazy

Does the police actively check it? I'm taking my motorcycle licence back home but due to the back and forth it will take a few months.

Any bad stories dealing with the police otherwise?

Thanks for all the tips guys.

Does the police actively check it? I'm taking my motorcycle licence back home but due to the back and forth it will take a few months.

Any bad stories dealing with the police otherwise?

Nothing 200baht won’t sort out, until you have an accident (whoever ‘s fault it would be).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be afraid, be very afraid. Do not relax for a second. But that is part of the fun.

You will be invisible, accept that and act accordingly. Plan you route to avoid main/major roads.Cheap skateboard knee and elbow pads are better than nothing. Must look at the phone ? Pull over and do it.

When in Rome do what the Romans do.

Assume every Thai motorist and motorbike rider are clueless morons with no regard for safety and the basic rules of the road.  Drive/ride in a defensive mode 100% of the time.  Practice this S.I.P. D.E.  Scan ahead, identify potential problems, prepare, decide on a course of action and execute that if it comes to that.  

If, as a sometime tourist, you are riding with the presumed safety of good travel insurance (with MC use covered) be aware that if your foreign licence does not cover the size/type of motorcycle that you intend to ride in Thailand the insurance will probably be VOID.

As I lifelong motorcyclist I find the "pleasure" of motorcycling in Thailand to be severely offset by the knowledge that every single "indigenous" road user in Thailand has to be regarded not as a potential accident but as an active, aggressive threat who will kill you at the slightest opportunity.  A favourite maneuver is to swing over from the opposite carriage way straight into your face, either intentionally or as a result of control loss

You don't even have to be in motion. They attempt to kill you while you are waiting in queues at junctions, at traffic lights or just after you have pulled over to the side of the road for a sensible rest or to take a photo.

"Defensive Riding" has no meaning here, anyone who says it has is just existing on the last dregs of luck.

Happy riding, enjoy the "luck" while it lasts.

Edited by Enoon

8 hours ago, georgy said:

The European inclusion of small motorbikes in the DL does not work here. A specific motorbike license is necessary.

Avoid trips to HuaHin on weekends, traffic is crazy

No motor cycle licence = zero insurance

Well that went downhill quickly.

I'm going to follow all recommendations here to the letter. As for insurance, I have up to 150cc travel insurance from the UK, and since I'm going to rent from a dealer, they also offer comprehensive insurance. I'll make sure to read the fine print... And I'm going to Panda Rider and kit myself out for the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

1 hour ago, masuk said:

No motor cycle licence = zero insurance

Insurance is a huge deal.  I'd hate to think of how many times I've read on this forum about a foreigner banged up in the hospital and can't pay the bills. 

Proper insurance should be your #1 concern.

...Don't ride on main busy roads....  take a train or bus to where you want to and and rent a bike.. (check it out carefully.. brakes.. lights.. etc.. sounds stupid but make sure it goes  in the right direction with the handlebars at 180 to the road.. many don't!)   .. wear a good helmet.. ..perhaps buy your own.. helmets with rental bikes are generally yucky.. and often damaged..  I took the train down to Prachuap Khuri Khan and rented a bike .. nice ride south following the coast.. quiet road and many nice beaches and quiet villages.. found some good seafood too.. have fun .. 

What's the point? Why not get to a nice area and then rent one. 

Having driven the road from Hua Hin to Bkk a few hundred times. I don't see how you could possibly enjoy doing it on a motorbike. Maybe a big bike enough power to get you out of trouble.  But a 150?? Jeez.

What's the point? Why not get to a nice area and then rent one. 
Having driven the road from Hua Hin to Bkk a few hundred times. I don't see how you could possibly enjoy doing it on a motorbike. Maybe a big bike enough power to get you out of trouble.  But a 150?? Jeez.

I'm looking at these tours from BKK:
http://www.bangkokscooterrental.com/thailand-tours

All of them look nice, and I've done the northern Thailand one, although I've started from Chiang Mai...