Thai media says three levels of authority will be able to fine smokers on Thai beaches

webfact

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fines for smoking.... No more tourists

Close the bars at midnight .... No more tourists

Change the immigration laws ... No more tourists

Shut the illegal guest houses .... No more tourists

Clean up the Walking Streets .... No more tourists

Limit the Hot Air balloon for Loi Kratong ...  No more tourists

Police checkpoints for Helmet laws....  No more tourists

Improper clothing during Songkran .... No more tourists

Remove the street vendors .... No more tourists

......  yet tourism seems to grow stronger and stronger every year.  High Season in Chiang Mai, you can't hardly walk down the streets of the Old City in recent years because they are clogged with tourists.

There could be a fourth level --  Jet Ski operators and staff.

Thailand should outlaw all cigarette filters, the rest biodegrade eventually. It is the filter butts you see all everywhere.

Even better, charge a usage fee for filters that will be returned when the filters are.

Edited by IAMHERE
brilliant idea about filter deposit

5 hours ago, Dexlowe said:

There could be a fourth level -- vigilante gangs with power to flog offenders on the spot. Scouts could be secreted in disguised pits in the sand, ready to leap out at the first whiff of smoke. Specially trained dogs could also be employed -- after detecting a criminal trying to smoke discretely, the dogs would bite the offender in the groin. US drone experts could also be brought in to train locals on how to use heat-seeking drones. But the best weapon against smoking on the beach would be the Navy SEALS -- they could lie in wait off the beach ready to storm ashore at the first sign of smoking. 

Ahh Thailand. Where no crime goes unpunished. 

Nice post to start the day :) don’t give them any ideas though, they might actually take it seriously and start to set up your dastardly plans in reality! Wouldn’t count out anything where thailand bureaucracy is concerned.

5 hours ago, djayz said:

Am all in favour of banning smoking on the beaches - am sick and tired of seeing disgarded cigarette butts strewn around in the sand - but I wonder which is the bigger eyesore: 1) cigarette butts 2) "stickers and leaflets" dumped on the beach because there are no bins or 3) all the signs they're going to put up? 

As a non-smoker, I would prefer to see cig butts in the sand rather than have money-hungry police types accuse me of having put one out and waving a week-old butt in my face.

I think that such personnel would be better deployed in stopping all the other annoyances, such as pickpockets, taxis that exploit tourists, thieves and muggers. And of course fake cops and those cops who try to force tourists to do piss tests on the streets and then say there is something wrong and try to extort money.

4 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

All this effort,  all this money,  all these people.

threats of Jail terms, 100,000 baht fines,  why ? over smoking on the beach.

Thousands of men , women, and children die on the roads here every year.

and you do nothing.

The Authorities of Thailand<deleted>  you should all be be removed from office today.  You care not about your people,  :bah:

Priorities, Stanley, priorities...

1 hour ago, sharpjwe said:

Smokers use flower pots already.

carry your own ashtray !

along with your death packet of stinky smokes.

You are the life of every party, I bet!

Did you get the children off your lawn?

:coffee1:

All about screwing cash from farangs, nothing to do with littering, 3 levels of officials getting in on this cash cow, they'd better get in quick before all the adverse publicity outside of gods country will get it quietly forgotten about...   TIT you just couldn't make it up...

6 hours ago, ezzra said:

Only 3 levels ???? nah, make it 10 levels, and throw in few ' crackdowns'

and couple of ' swoops' and 'blitzes' just to make sure that god forbid,

there will no smoking on the beach...way to go Thailand.....

Plus Special Forces, SAS, Green Berets, SEALS, commandos... If Thailand doesn't have them yet, train them next week so that they'll be "productive" in February!

4 hours ago, RotMahKid said:

Is it also possible to put the offender on video with your phone, run to the police and get half of the fine?

Probably.

If they spent 10% of the effort on anti smoking on combatting cons and corruption LOS would be near to perfect.

Meanwhile, jet ski, m'bike, jewel and littering on Sukhumvit scams will continue unabated.

4 hours ago, crazygreg44 said:

Thailand's governing bodies, you better come over by a given weekend and watch how Thai people behave when they hoard on the beaches  . . they throw cigarette butts to the ground, they flip crown caps away, they will leave the remains of their somtam and their whisky bottles and tens of thousands of plastic bags on their clean (???) beaches. 

If you would take a shovel and dig 10 centimeters deep at any Thai Beach, you would find all the litter and trash Thai people left there over the recent years

How are you going to deal with the littering of millions of thai people ?

Neglect it?

Look in the other direction as usual ?

Make foreign tourists responsible for you home made problems?

Shame to whom earns the shame and leave tourists alone, please

The policy is targeting the Thais in particular. Why should the foreigners who also mess up the environment be dealt with any differently. More people will come not less when the first fines are handed out. Tourists from abroad will be encouraged that the authorities are doing something to smarten up the country.

3 hours ago, Barbarossa0309 said:

First level should be to inform all tourist companies in the world, so that they can include it in their brochures and catalogues, which beaches are smoke and booze free. This helps the people to choose their holiday destination before they board an airplane.

People still get on a plane even though they know they wont be able to smoke.

Smokers will be dealt with by the law  Cars that run red lights its ok  Just crazy maybe just maybe most offenders they will catch will be tourists  They can fleece them and most of the Red Light runners are Thai and cant or will not pay Thai way of thinking Go for the easy money 

4 minutes ago, Jane Dough said:

The policy is targeting the Thais in particular. Why should the foreigners who also mess up the environment be dealt with any differently. More people will come not less when the first fines are handed out. Tourists from abroad will be encouraged that the authorities are doing something to smarten up the country.

29 minutes ago, PAIBKK said:

Same, same but different...

17087301.jpg

Falang says what about them Officer ? Who you talking about falang?  The 9 Thais on bike not wearing a helmet Ok falang now i book for drunk driving also because good Thai riders always obey the law because we never see them do it

20 minutes ago, Jane Dough said:

LOL. I guess when you have lived in LOS a while longer you will understand what is wrong with your first sentence.

It's about the amazing penalties and the scam potential not because people don't want to stop littering.

Does your country put people in jail for a year because they smoked on the beach?

5 hours ago, stephen tracy said:

A jail term for smoking?  This wont be abused for bribes at all... nope.  The moment they throw the first tourist in jail (because no Thai will face that punishment), it will hit the media and you can say goodbye to a lot of tourists.  I wonder if they'll be even-handed when dealing with Chinese and non-Chinese tourists.  

I am a non-smoker and would generally support the ban, but the punishments are draconian and every bit as ridiculous as the silly little general himself.

I'd sooner see them police the disgusting hordes of hacking, phlegm -spitting Chinese!

I told my Thai wife about this 100,000 Bt fine for having a smoke on the beach and she laughed. She said no Thai would ever pay that, if an inspector caught a Thai having a smoke and and demanded a 100,000 Bt fine a Thai would tell them to sod off. So this will just become another way to intimidate and fleece tourists, who usually quake in their boots who confronted by harsh authority in foreign lands.