Mass overstay arrests on Koh Phangan

8 hours ago, ethaniel said:

Then you must be extremely happy with mothers and children sitting behind bars in Bangkok's IDC in violation of United Nations Law. These are refugees that are registered with the UN. Children are kept in horrible conditions with their mothers (100 people on 1 cell). They don't see their fathers. Fathers are kept separately.

image.thumb.png.dfd603923c0346fb2f53d1025c1baa1c.pngimage.png.125a6bb091a72db5debd10a2f120536e.png

In my opinion this is nothing but a show of power by the prime minister trying to keep his place and postpone elections even further.

I think that you are mixing two issues here.

UN refugees do not tend to live in high-cost tourist areas such as Samui, KPN and Pattaya.

I would doubt that any of the arrests mentioned in this thread are UN refugees.

Here we are talking about overstays!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

I think that you are mixing two issues here.

UN refugees do not tend to live in high-cost tourist areas such as Samui, KPN and Pattaya.

I would doubt that any of the arrests mentioned in this thread are UN refugees.

Here we are talking about overstays!

Good point.

Well here's a old guy who's been forgotten about and is in the IDC for more than 10 years.

image.png.084b19e53f0bfce40024bccabcb76fc4.png

1 hour ago, ethaniel said:

Good point.

Well here's a old guy who's been forgotten about and is in the IDC for more than 10 years.

<image removed to save space>

The point is that these overstaying aliens was never "invited", they all came on their own account as a "guest" in a foreign country – not in any way nationals or refuges – and they all broke that nation's rules, by not leaving when their gust-time was up.

Touching images and stories, how bad they may look and sound, are caused by the aliens' own fault – they should have left before their time was up; or seeked appropriate assistance or help from their embassies, if they were unable to easily return home. However criminals, or other level of escapees, may not have that option, but that shall not make us feel sorry them, in my opinion, especially if they stayed here to avoid "something" at home.

And by the way, aren't we doing the same in Europe, and other parts of the World, where we don't like to see migrants – in my Scandinavian home country there are numerous of criminal migrats that most folks would like to see the behind off, on their way to deportation – presume same-same, but different...:whistling:

On 11/24/2017 at 11:41 PM, balo said:

It's happening in Pattaya also , more than 900 arrested a few days ago. I am happy they are doing something about this , not all of them are bad people but some are just criminals been hiding in Thailand for too long. 

Only a loser can be happy of other people problems. Wish you the worst.

I suppose the answer is;  if you don't want this problem then don't go on overstay.  Or have i missed something?

No you haven’t, but there’s always a group who think they should be allowed to overstay peramianety. The same ones who have overstayed themselves!

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

28 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Why is Isaan any different?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

It's out of the way so not focused on, 1000s up there

Funny , there is an Immigration office in Sisaket and I've never found it out of the way.  I've seen Immigration looking for over stayers at the night market.  I think you would be surprised if you came to Issan

29 minutes ago, markaoffy said:

No you haven’t, but there’s always a group who think they should be allowed to overstay peramianety. The same ones who have overstayed themselves!

There are also some of us who aren't on overstay, but we realize that there are circumstances that come up in people's lives that force on them decisions that may not be in compliance with the laws.  Even if we don't agree in principal with violating the laws, we have compassion for people whose flips of the coin turned out different than our own. 

Including our very first coin flip- which country we chose to be born in, and which parents we chose to be born to.

There but for the Grace of God...  (Or, Luck of the Draw for any atheists out there)

Edited by impulse

9 minutes ago, impulse said:

There are also some of us who aren't on overstay, but we realize that there are circumstances that come up in people's lives that force on them decisions that may not be in compliance with the laws.  Even if we don't agree in principal with violating the laws, we have compassion for people whose flips of the coin turned out different than our own. 

Including our very first coin flip- which country we chose to be born in, and which parents we chose to be born to.

There but for the Grace of God...  (Or, Luck of the Draw for any atheists out there)

Absolutely true but you are talking about what would be a handful of individuals within the context of thousands of overstayers.

20 minutes ago, carmine said:

Absolutely true but you are talking about what would be a handful of individuals within the context of thousands of overstayers.

I don't disagree with that.  It's a small percentage.  But I don't claim to know who's in which category.

And I still object to the bile being spewed against everyone who violates the "reasonable" laws (while violating "unreasonable" laws is perfectly fine.  Overstay = bad.  Frequenting hookers = okay  Drinking on holidays = okay)   

Edit:  In fact, Thailand took overstays so seriously until 2 years ago that a guy could be on overstay for 10 years, pay a 20,000 baht fine on exit and be back in time to frequent the hookers that very night.

Edited by impulse

And the overwhelmingly majority of overstayers who think “well...I’ll just pay the fine at sometime in the future, it’s no problem “ Now the rules have changed! Generally Nothing to do with “grace of god or luck of the draw “

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

17 minutes ago, markaoffy said:

Generally Nothing to do with “grace of god or luck of the draw “

Pop out an accidental (and unbudgeted) Thai kid and then find yourself lacking the funds to legally stay with your loved ones, and you may feel differently. 

There are any number of situations that find decent people in violation because of decisions that didn't work out the way they expected.  Lots of times, it is down to the luck of the draw.

My life would look 100% different (and my Thai adventure wouldn't have happened at all) had my job interview gone bad that one day...  And I've met a lot of people in 17 years of traveling Asia whose luck wasn't as favorable as mine.  And some nimrods who made crappy decisions (myself often included) .

Edited by impulse

Continues to baffle me why so many people care about who has a particular stamp in a small paper book 'allowing' them to stand on a particular piece of land for a predetermined amount of time.  Authorities and bureaucrats have a job to do to keep law and order, I get that.  But why does the average individual on Thaivisa care.

How long until borders and countries go completely?  100 years?  Then everybody will look back at us and think what absolute morons.

Edited by dfdgfdfdgs

20 hours ago, EcigAmateur said:

Only a loser can be happy of other people problems. Wish you the worst.

That's a weird thing to say , I am happy criminals are out of this country . If your innocent I am not happy .  Is it clearer for you now ? 

Ah the open borders to Anyone,anywhere in the world brigade! Actually there are some politicians with that view , particularly in the UK

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I wish the UK was - it might be easier for me to bring in my non-EU wife!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 11/24/2017 at 11:41 PM, balo said:

It's happening in Pattaya also , more than 900 arrested a few days ago. I am happy they are doing something about this

I guess you have an interest to see the rental rates in town drop due to sudden oversupply   ;-)

2 hours ago, STD Warehouse said:

been there, done that, got the t-shirt. Overstayed for 12 years whilst living in a coconut shack at Magic Hut in Had Rin in the "good old days", paid 20 baht a night and all the gang where on overstays, seemed like the think to do back then, how times change, sigh...

20 baht per night? what year was that? and what did you do for 12 years on KPG if you don't mind me asking?