Long-time homeless American deported

Rimmer

15 hours ago, Jingthing said:

No doubt. Relying on the kindness of strangers. That gets old fast! 

Not necessarily in Thailand. Thai people giving him food or clothes would consider they were making merit by keeping him alive. If he was friendly and approachable it's conceivable the same local people were feeding him for years.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Bangkokazy said:

For 250 $. you have a car.

Total B.S.

For 250, it would be a wreck.

To live in a car, you'd be constantly harassed by police, ticketed (which he can't pay), forced to move a lot (gas).

He needs I.D.

He's been gone so long almost definitely he has trashed credit, no state I.D., and for a car he legally would need to buy expensive insurance.

Unless he has friends or family to bail him out, he'll be totally screwed on arrival in the U.S., IF he arrives.

1 hour ago, Aussieroaming said:

...so he has obviously met many good people in Pattaya

Hear, hear; there are many good people here in Pattaya. I even personally know a Royal Thai Police Commander, who; when confronted with proof to the contrary, when I was accused of something I didn't do - was incredibly generous, kind and forgiving.

Thank you then Thai Immigration for showing the world how compassionate Thais can be.

5 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Total B.S.

For 250, it would be a wreck.

To live in a car, you'd be constantly harassed by police, ticketed (which he can't pay), forced to move a lot (gas).

He needs I.D.

He's been gone so long almost definitely he has trashed credit, no state I.D., and for a car he legally would need to buy expensive insurance.

Unless he has friends or family to bail him out, he'll be totally screwed on arrival in the U.S., IF he arrives.

Watch cheap rv living in youtube

There's another issue.

An American would need a minimum number of work credits to be eligible for any social security pension income at all (he's old enough) or even Medicare (also old enough).

Maybe he has that, and maybe he doesn't. 
Says he's been here 20 years. He could have worked enough in the U.S. before but not definite. 

Edited by Jingthing

I remember reading a story about this man- several years ago-possibly the Pattaya Mail or one of the Bangkok papers and it described how he lost all his money- and was 'stuck' in Thailand with no family or friends. He accepted it and lived on the beach and found support from tourists and local Thais

He never stole and more or less just lived day by day.  As they say- He was just down on his luck.

Once he gets back to the US- he will probably end up in Los Angeles and find his way to the large homeless community that has become common to this city. As one poster said- the police do hassle the homeless.

Since he is Age 67- he may be eligible for Social Security payments if he worked enough in the US. If he is a Veteran it is possible the Veterans Admin may help him or one of the charities set up.

I would hope the US Embassy would at least get him back to the US and find a local agency in America that would help him. Sitting in the Immigration jail will lessen his ability to survive as it takes away his freedom.

It's sad to see anyone  in such dire straits and it's sad that a country as wealthy as America cannot assist it's citizens and provide social services for them no matter where they are located.

3 minutes ago, giddyup said:

The guy is 67, looks 87. Do you honestly think he'd be up for any kind of farm work?

Indeed, his prospects are not good unless he has support in the U.S. and even if he's eligible for an S.S. pension, it won't be much or enough without any savings. 

The end of the road.

It happens to people everyday.

Edited by Jingthing

4 hours ago, marginline said:

Goodbye Mr Philip.

Your country's Immigration and Customs Enforcement could learn a LOT from the compassion and respect Thailand has given you.

yes, if being left homeless to sleep on a beach until you become  reported as a nuisance is considered "compassion and respect", then  i agree 

2 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

Sounds like Uncle Sam might stump up for his fine and repatriation.  Lucky for him he's a yank.

Good god I hope not!  He'll set a precedent for hundreds of others.  Just what the US needs, to not only pay fines and repatriate foreign based homeless residents, but take over any responsibilities for their well-being.

2 minutes ago, OldSiamHand said:

Good god I hope not!  He'll set a precedent for hundreds of others.  Just what the US needs, to not only pay fines and repatriate foreign based homeless residents, but take over any responsibilities for their well-being.

They can waste billions of dollars fighting unnecessary wars, surely they won't miss a few thousand to help a fellow citizen out?

Actually-  Uncle Sam will pay for his flight back to the US and then hold his passport until the money is repaid.  He will be in IDC Suan Plu until he works off his overstay fine- I believe it goes down each day by 200 Baht.

If the Embassy wanted to help a citizen further - they could contact a Social Services agency or a Charity in Los Angeles or another city to get the man a bed and meals and help getting his life sorted out. Just 'dumping' him at the first port of entry seems somewhat cruel and callous.

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

So now he's gone from being a bum here to be one over there, it's beyond

me how able body people just throw their life away to the garbage and

resign the human race just to be a burden on others....

ever hear or study about mental illness and/or chemical addiction?  it could happen to  anyone, even you

47 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

Actually-  Uncle Sam will pay for his flight back to the US and then hold his passport until the money is repaid.  He will be in IDC Suan Plu until he works off his overstay fine- I believe it goes down each day by 200 Baht.

If the Embassy wanted to help a citizen further - they could contact a Social Services agency or a Charity in Los Angeles or another city to get the man a bed and meals and help getting his life sorted out. Just 'dumping' him at the first port of entry seems somewhat cruel and callous.

So who is going to pay his fine to get him out here? 

5 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

No money, no honey.  It must have been decades since he saw the inside of a gentlemen's club or a massage parlour.  Probably can't remember what brought him to Pattaya in the first place. 

What a strange comment , I personally have never been in gentleman’s club ( not a clue what they are) or a massage parlour . Many of us do not inhabit the under belly of Pattaya . 

25 minutes ago, lonewolf99 said:

he could head for Hawaii.....it has a massive homeless problem recently highlighted on BBC world.
Many Americans on skid row hustle a one way ticket there and live in shacks on handouts.

He will no longer be a Farrang - but a Haole, pronounced How Lee.

Yes; Honolulu, Hawaii would most certainly be a good choice for Mr Phillip. :thumbsup:

Having personally lived there for 3-years I can vouch that the locals are friendly and the climate; the best in the world.

Mr Phillip will also have a new moniker though lonewolf99; beside that of "Haole", he'll also be a "Malahini". Aloha. :wai: