Pattani schools grads cause international furor over writing on World Heritage stones in Jordan

webfact

Pattani schools grads cause international furor over writing on World Heritage stones

By The Nation

d0e2777c9d009e4ea394033313bd458d-sld.jpe

An executive of a Pattani school has apologised over a recent incident in which more than one school graduate reportedly wrote on ancient stones at a World Heritage Site in Jordan.

Executive Abdulloh Yeeloh from Salihiyah School in Khok Pho district, who was currently visiting Jordan, was asked about the incident on Thursday during a phone call from a committee of the Southern Border Islamic Private Schools Executives Association.

Association president Nasrudin Lehnu said Abdulloh admitted to visiting the ancient site along with many alumni now studying in Jordan. Abdulloh claimed that he was unaware of the vandalism of the ancient stones at Umm al-Rasas until someone posted about it on Facebook. Nasrudin said that Abdulloh told him that some alumni later admitted to have written on the stone without knowing that it was not allowed, as they claimed the spot had multiple etchings in various languages.

Nasrudin said Abdulloh would take the alumnus to help remove the writings and said the group had apologised for the action that tarnished Thailand’s international image. Nasrudin said the school’s Facebook page had received many critical comments and so had been temporarily closed.

On Wednesday, Thai academic and famous cultural tour guide Paothong Thongchua posted on his Facebook page photos of the over-2,000-year old site’s stones, including the controversial writing.

“The writings were done only a day before my visit and Jordanian officials have urged those who did this to remove the writings or they would expose the school and the country so tourists from all countries would know that Thailand doesn’t take care of its own citizens’ quality,” the scholar posted.

The ancient stones at Umm al-Rasas in present-day Jordan was declared a United Nations World Heritage Site in 2004.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30332426

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-11-24

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is what can be expected from educated Thais. Now I wonder what less educated Thais would do in a similar situation?

I wonder if this type of educated Thais behaviour is why so many countries require Thais to obtain a visa to visit a country?

46 minutes ago, Banana7 said:

This is what can be expected from educated Thais. Now I wonder what less educated Thais would do in a similar situation?

I wonder if this type of educated Thais behaviour is why so many countries require Thais to obtain a visa to visit a country?

And this is what can be expected from TV posters -all Thais must be like this... don't you guys ever get bored of lumping everyone in together?

6 minutes ago, seajae said:

they dont care about their own country why should they care about someone elses, you only have to look at what they do here to realize they dont give a sh*t about doing the right thing

...yet they get their knickers in a twist, whenever someone somewhere does something with or to a beloved Buddha...

15 hours ago, DM07 said:

...yet they get their knickers in a twist, whenever someone somewhere does something with or to a beloved Buddha...

I doubt these Muslim kids would give a flying <deleted> if someone did something to a Buddha :saai: But hey, generalizations and all

There is a cop who lives up the street from me in my home and native land. He was a cop in the UK before he moved to the true north. He showed me his brick he took from the walls around Chiang Mai, he laughed angkor wat rocks were too big.

Vandalism is a Thai thing? I don t think so.  Is the vandalizer a stupid arse? You betcha.

12 hours ago, DM07 said:

...or climbing on some phallus-shaped rock. So its a good report to show that Thai people too do not always respect other countries cultures and sensitivities and possibly should be a little more forgiving when it occurs on Thai soil. Perhaps the Jordanians can reciprocate with a massive finger pointing photo opportunity when the person/s responsible arrive to remove the offensive graffiti with loads of deep wai-ing all round? Seems fair? Whats good for the Goose should be good for the Gander?

51 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

It's just Thainess being exported to other countries. Made a right mess of their own, now time to ruin others.

This has nothing to do with Thainess. The pyramids, the Sphinx, Stonehenge, sites all over the world  all have graffiti from all over the world. While climbing the pyramids many, many years ago I could see names carved into the stone from the first world war.

16 hours ago, Lemonltr said:

But it's the 'executive's' name Yeelao (pronounced 'ow'  as in cow) which is written on the the stones.

Did he write it himself then blame somebody else?

Thanks for the translation........I thought it said "We are the Hub!"

19 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Could be tempting to start some Thai or muslim bashing again !!....but stupid teens, getting bold when in their gang,  are more of a global issue then an issue of nationality.

The strange thing is that the article talks about 'alumni.'  So are alumni, teens?  I also had to laugh about the: "well, there were numerous etchings in various languages."  Right... and some of them might have been more than 1000 years old!!

14 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

And this is what can be expected from TV posters -all Thais must be like this... don't you guys ever get bored of lumping everyone in together?

I once read that the world is divided into two groups: those who divide the world up into two groups, and those who don't.